• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Echoing Frenchman's sentiments here.
I despise being bored at work. I'm not a fan of salaried project based jobs where you got some poorly defined long term task to do and it goes on for years.

I would rather work in a structured envirmoment where the tasks trickle in and are clearly defined but give you an opportunity to problem solve on a case by case basis. This is the sort of job that seems to fit the bill for me. You know that you got 10 people filing claims to you this day so you know you gotta call all 10 while following up on your existing cases. That's fine. And with clearly defined office hours I don't feel bad if I know I got 100 things to do tomorrow. Once 5pm hits I walk out and forget about it till tomorrow. What other job can you do that now?

These days everyone is working long hours till 6-7pm or longer, sending emails during their vacations and weekends. It's crazy. And they gotta hustle and grind like it hat just to get a piddling sum of money that barely keeps their head above water in a place where a one bedroom rents for 1700 or more.
Aug 20, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
JohnE963 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 11:31 am
Has it been 3 weeks? If so, i would email recruiter ;)
I agree. I would follow up if it has been 3 weeks or more.

If it helps at all, I have just heard back to move on in the process after about 2-3 weeks. During conversation with the TAC about the recruitment/hiring process he mentioned that they were moving as quickly as they could and there is no set "time" to expect an update. They are dealing with an overwhelming amount of applicants who are both in and out of pools. I know it is hard to be patient during a process like this but they are working as hard as they can as quickly as possible. As some would say "no news is good news."
Jan 31, 2016
10 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
Frenchman101 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:15 pm
Oh man reading posts like this worries me so much:(. I always hope it's not the truth:) but I read it so many times now I know it is. What would you say the reason for people failing probation is? Did you find it Ok? How long have you been doing the job?
It's not for everyone, that's for sure. With my group, I am unsure if anyone was actually let go. Most of the feedback and targets are quantified to some extent so you have a pretty clear picture on where you're at and if you are not going to hit objectives by the end of practicum. Its generally turns into a sort of self selection. The feedback tends to stress people out if they are falling behind, and sometimes the stress decreases performance and bottlenecks progression. I've seen numerous people breakdown and cry at work while in practicum.

Truth be told - most claims get approved and the way the system is set up allows that, but I notice those who had problems tend to get too caught up listening to upset employer parties such as HR managers, health and safety reps, business owners, etc, who absolutely do not want to be on the hook for claim costs, or the employee is BSing and trying to mislead you. This can be a huge time sink and stressful too.

I think those who tend to succeed are those who are set on rubber stamping claims unless in certain circumstances where it is very clear the employee was not hurt at work. It upsets employers but helps your numbers tremendously.

No idea if there is a good correlation with those who succeed at employment testing and those who pass practicum, but if you're good at making quick decisions on complicated issues and sticking to them, you may do well! I tend to think the logic testing might be a good indicator of success. If you didn't get selected to move on, you may want to thank WSIB.

I found practicum extremely stressful and I almost quit a number of times to go back to my previous field. I stay for the pay and benefits, not career progression or anything else. I've been with WSIB for over 1 year now.
Aug 20, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
JohnE963 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 12:35 pm
Move on in? ))) Can you clarify)

Are you in the pool? Called up for training or didn't make it through the process?
Yes! Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was called back for an interview last week which I will have shortly. I was asking about the process and what could be expected re steps after the interview and timelines. I also asked when they plan to hire their next influx of EA's. He had no set answer and continued to say that the process is always dependent on a number of factors (# of applicants, dealing with applicants in different stages of the hiring process, recruitment for other roles, other tasks assigned to them, etc.). It's also summer so a lot of staff are on vacation and "things happen" that can delay the process, which is to be expected in large organizations.

I will let you know if I make it into the pool!
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Could you provide a bit more clarification on this?
What do you mean by rubber stamping? Aren't you supposed to research the case and justify your decision? How do you get the facts to approve it so fast? Also can you just completely ignore the employer calls that demand you reject the claim? How do you reduce time spent on these calls so you can hit your targets?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
Frenchman101 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:00 am
It really sounds like the type of work I do at my job where as soon as you finish a file a new one comes in and the work does "appear" never ending. Some of my coworkers struggle with managing their caseload but I actually enjoy the quick pace and I am able to prioritize well. I also hate getting bored at work. When you are busy the day goes by faster. I also have experience making decisions and communicating them. So I think that this job is actually a perfect match for me. It's in my nature to worry though:) and that's what I do every time I read about people failing. I have already accepted the job though and really there is very little risk as I am able to take a leave from my current job and return there if WSIB doesn't work out. I really hope it will though cause the pay is better.
FWIW everyone I know of that has taken leave from the Feds to 'try out' the job quit and went back.

#burntheboats
May 8, 2017
44 posts
6 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 4:33 pm
FWIW everyone I know of that has taken leave from the Feds to 'try out' the job quit and went back.

#burntheboats
Fearful FaceFearful FaceFearful Face. Better not burn my bridges at my old job then:)
Feb 3, 2016
38 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 4:33 pm

#burntheboats
To be fair I know two fed employees who ended up staying.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 8:41 pm
To be fair I know two fed employees who ended up staying.
That had been on a leave of absence?

Edit: I came from the Feds as well but quit rather than taking a leave of absence when accepting the position.
Feb 3, 2016
38 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:24 pm
That had been on a leave of absence?

Edit: I came from the Feds as well but quit rather than taking a leave of absence when accepting the position.
Yes, LWOP. I know others who were on LWOP but went back before practicuum was over
Aug 20, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
For those of you who are currently working at WSIB as EA's or in other roles? Seeing the amount of turnover (people leaving for whatever reason) would you recommend the job to others? Is there as much room for growth as people claim? And what does this growth tend to look like for those holding EA positions?

I know I still have quite a way to go in completing an interview, making it into a pool etc. I am just trying to fully understand current employee satisfaction and thoughts on the role/environment before deciding to leave what may be a better job/opportunity for me down the line.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Can't speak for myself as I've been turning to sediment at the bottom of the pool but:
Most people in the thread have been saying turnover is mostly due to promotions.

An EA usually goes on to become a case manager. If you think about the sheer volume of claims they're processing it makes sense. If you suddenly have 100-200 more people on benefits than you did before, then more people are required to manage this.
Aug 20, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 8:53 am
Can't speak for myself as I've been turning to sediment at the bottom of the pool but:
Most people in the thread have been saying turnover is mostly due to promotions.

An EA usually goes on to become a case manager. If you think about the sheer volume of claims they're processing it makes sense. If you suddenly have 100-200 more people on benefits than you did before, then more people are required to manage this.
How long have you been in the pool for?

I would assume that they would hire those who have been in the pool longer than others into the vacant roles? Not sure if this has been confirmed true or untrue.

I have just started working in a new job, that I am enjoying so far. Everyone seems to have mixed reviews on the EA position so I am trying to wrap my head around what the best decision will be for me and if I would regret leaving my current role.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2120 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
how often would you say the length of time is as an EA before they move on to become a case manager or something else.

Also would you say Case Managers have a much less stressful role? The work load i understand would be the same but stress wise how would it be?

What location has the best managers that cause less stress to the EA's ? I have heard the EA managers in Toronto office micromanage a lot more than other locations. Any truth to that?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)