Careers

WSIB Hiring Process - Eligibility Adjudicator

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 1:53 pm
Tags:
None
Newbie
Aug 20, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 10:58 am
So September isn't the end of the current wave of hiring? It's safe to assume they can call us in October or November?
I would say that is a fair assumption to make. From what I have heard they will be hiring well into November/December.
Newbie
Nov 29, 2016
13 posts
7 upvotes
Aside from John because we are PM bros. How soon after your references were checked did some of you find out your in the pool? My reference was called the day of my interview but he wasnt available until 3 days later, since he had a convo with the recruiter it has now been almost 3 days with no word. I know the three week timeline per the interview, but sheesh they did call my references pretty quickly.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2005
9075 posts
68 upvotes
the sept. 18 class is all internals.

new classes will begin in october and Dec. 2017

news is that they will be hiring more than 72 and that the new training for those later classes may be compressed up to 4 weeks only (sink or swim)
Newbie
Aug 27, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Thank you all for the information here. I applied last Sunday and completed my testing yesterday so hopefully i will be hearing back soon.
Jr. Member
Apr 1, 2009
107 posts
9 upvotes
Hey everyone,

So I was invited to do the test but I seem to have confused myself as to what the test itself consists of.
Is it based off of the Watson Glaser Test (as I have read on this thread) or is it something else?
I have never done the Watson Glaser Test and when I did a practice one, I did abysmally.

Thanks
Newbie
Aug 27, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Yes. There are some like that. And a few other types. I'm terrible at them too. Not sure if i passed as of yet. I just did the best i could and didn't worry about actually finishing the whole thing.
Newbie
Jan 31, 2016
10 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
mcbain27 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:50 pm
the sept. 18 class is all internals.

new classes will begin in october and Dec. 2017

news is that they will be hiring more than 72 and that the new training for those later classes may be compressed up to 4 weeks only (sink or swim)
Not sure how I feel about the compressed training. EA's in practicum tend to have enough trouble as is. In my group, about 25% new hires did not finish probation. I understand this is fairly routine. Then again, the training doesn't seem to cause people problems generally. In some sense longer training may just be delaying the inevitable of being mentally destroyed by the practicum...
Newbie
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
Inepsy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:29 pm
Not sure how I feel about the compressed training. EA's in practicum tend to have enough trouble as is. In my group, about 25% new hires did not finish probation. I understand this is fairly routine. Then again, the training doesn't seem to cause people problems generally. In some sense longer training may just be delaying the inevitable of being mentally destroyed by the practicum...
Oh man reading posts like this worries me so much:(. I always hope it's not the truth:) but I read it so many times now I know it is. What would you say the reason for people failing probation is? Did you find it Ok? How long have you been doing the job?
Newbie
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frenchman101 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:15 pm
Oh man reading posts like this worries me so much:(. I always hope it's not the truth:) but I read it so many times now I know it is. What would you say the reason for people failing probation is? Did you find it Ok? How long have you been doing the job?
As said before, this job is NOT for everyone. It's hard because you'll never not have work meaning you'll never clear off your desk by the end of the day... and some people have a hard time dealing with the fact that it's a never ending stream of work. The other difficulties is the conflicting priorities, problem solving, caseload management, being confident in your decisions and communicating them. These are all doable but again NOT for everyone.

Practicuum is hard but when someone leaves it's usually THEIR choice. sometimes a trainee doesn't perform to their set our objectives over a number of weeks and they are unfortunately let go, but more often they leave of their own accord. It's also about your mindset- I don't mind the position, it is difficult but over the years ive become more proficient, more confident and able to handle never not having work. I enjoy the people and opportunities and the pay/benefits.
Newbie
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
A constant stream of work sounds like a relief compared to past jobs I've worked. My brain goes 100 miles an hour and I can't stand being idle. I find sitting in the office pretending to be busy because I don't have any work to do is a fate far far worse than what's described there. At least the day will go by much faster.

Do they still give you opportunities to improve yourself and get better at the job? I imagine any new employee will stumble and have an adjustment period before they get into the swing of things.
Newbie
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 6:14 am
As said before, this job is NOT for everyone. It's hard because you'll never not have work meaning you'll never clear off your desk by the end of the day... and some people have a hard time dealing with the fact that it's a never ending stream of work. The other difficulties is the conflicting priorities, problem solving, caseload management, being confident in your decisions and communicating them. These are all doable but again NOT for everyone.

Practicuum is hard but when someone leaves it's usually THEIR choice. sometimes a trainee doesn't perform to their set our objectives over a number of weeks and they are unfortunately let go, but more often they leave of their own accord. It's also about your mindset- I don't mind the position, it is difficult but over the years ive become more proficient, more confident and able to handle never not having work. I enjoy the people and opportunities and the pay/benefits.
It really sounds like the type of work I do at my job where as soon as you finish a file a new one comes in and the work does "appear" never ending. Some of my coworkers struggle with managing their caseload but I actually enjoy the quick pace and I am able to prioritize well. I also hate getting bored at work. When you are busy the day goes by faster. I also have experience making decisions and communicating them. So I think that this job is actually a perfect match for me. It's in my nature to worry though:) and that's what I do every time I read about people failing. I have already accepted the job though and really there is very little risk as I am able to take a leave from my current job and return there if WSIB doesn't work out. I really hope it will though cause the pay is better.
Newbie
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frenchman101 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:00 am
It really sounds like the type of work I do at my job where as soon as you finish a file a new one comes in and the work does "appear" never ending. Some of my coworkers struggle with managing their caseload but I actually enjoy the quick pace and I am able to prioritize well. I also hate getting bored at work. When you are busy the day goes by faster. I also have experience making decisions and communicating them. So I think that this job is actually a perfect match for me. It's in my nature to worry though:) and that's what I do every time I read about people failing. I have already accepted the job though and really there is very little risk as I am able to take a leave from my current job and return there if WSIB doesn't work out. I really hope it will though cause the pay is better.
Great! This might be a good fit- but when you're on the desk you may have 50-100 active cases to do at once. It's not a one in and one out, it's having to deal with a high volume.

Of course they give you a chance to improve- that's the point of practicuum as they slowly introduce you to the job and caseload while being mentored the whole way through.
Newbie
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
JohnE963 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 10:44 am
You are able to take a leave from yiur current job and come back? Which work is that? Sounds awesome.
Federal government:)
Newbie
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 10:39 am
Great! This might be a good fit- but when you're on the desk you may have 50-100 active cases to do at once. It's not a one in and one out, it's having to deal with a high volume.

Of course they give you a chance to improve- that's the point of practicuum as they slowly introduce you to the job and caseload while being mentored the whole way through.
What I meant by one in one out is that at all times I have a couple hundred files /cases in my inventory, at various stages of completion. Some require letters, some phone calls, some various other things. Prioritizing and planning is key. And no matter how many you complete in one day and get out of your inventory, the following day you get just as many new ones. So the work is never ending. The inventory is always at the set number and you just keep working it. Some people have a hard time managing it. I don't.
Newbie
Jul 6, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
Is anyone in the same situation as me? I had my reference checked however I have not heard back anything after that. Please inform.

Top