• Sep 25th, 2017 1:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2083 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
how often would you say the length of time is as an EA before they move on to become a case manager or something else.

Also would you say Case Managers have a much less stressful role? The work load i understand would be the same but stress wise how would it be?

What location has the best managers that cause less stress to the EA's ? I have heard the EA managers in Toronto office micromanage a lot more than other locations. Any truth to that?
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PositiveThinking12 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 12:47 pm
How long have you been in the pool for?

I would assume that they would hire those who have been in the pool longer than others into the vacant roles? Not sure if this has been confirmed true or untrue.

I have just started working in a new job, that I am enjoying so far. Everyone seems to have mixed reviews on the EA position so I am trying to wrap my head around what the best decision will be for me and if I would regret leaving my current role.
They don't hire based on order of when people are entered into the pool - they hire base on how well you perform overall. You could be chosen right away or it may take time depending on how well others in the pool do in comparison to you. Basically people are chosen based on their overall score.
Aug 31, 2017
31 posts
6 upvotes
The benefits are definitely nice, the people for the most part seem cool, but I wouldn't make a career out of the EA role. I find some EA's simply don't care (workers leaving countless messages with no response), the training to be outdated (if you have such high attrition, maybe you should re-think your hiring process/curriculum?), and it's pathetic how some workers are behind in payments (due to the new system implementation).

You can definitely try to fight to make things better, but it might not be worth it unless people are willing to change attitudes. In the past, WSIB was rampant on nepotism so you'll realize that a lot of people have family that work there once you get in (these days that has changed in part to the previous CEO). One senior person actually left the company because nothing was ever action on, and then later came back with a promise for action. A silver lining is that a lot of people are set to retire in the next decade, so this will definitely help foster change and innovation to the business.

For those looking to become an EA, and having difficulties, have you tried to maybe apply for a different role within WSIB? Customer service reps start off at about 53k (with 4% vacation pay + full benefits, can request vacation but it's unpaid), but it is a 1 year contract and they seem to be hiring a lot. After 9 months you can then apply to other internal positions.

Edit: added more info
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Sep 1st, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
Does anyone know if calls have been made for the October training session?
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 8:53 pm
The benefits are definitely nice, the people for the most part seem cool, but I wouldn't make a career out of the EA role. I find some EA's simply don't care (workers leaving countless messages with no response), the training to be outdated (if you have such high attrition, maybe you should re-think your hiring process/curriculum?), and it's pathetic how some workers are behind in payments (due to the new system implementation).

You can definitely try to fight to make things better, but it might not be worth it unless people are willing to change attitudes. In the past, WSIB was rampant on nepotism so you'll realize that a lot of people have family that work there once you get in (these days that has changed in part to the previous CEO). One senior person actually left the company because nothing was ever action on, and then later came back with a promise for action. A silver lining is that a lot of people are set to retire in the next decade, so this will definitely help foster change and innovation to the business.

For those looking to become an EA, and having difficulties, have you tried to maybe apply for a different role within WSIB? Customer service reps start off at about 53k (with 4% vacation pay + full benefits, can request vacation but it's unpaid), but it is a 1 year contract and they seem to be hiring a lot. After 9 months you can then apply to other internal positions.

Edit: added more info
Do you know if it's easy for EA's to take unpaid time off?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1361 posts
400 upvotes
Frenchman101 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:24 pm
Do you know if it's easy for EA's to take unpaid time off?
You first have to exhaust all of your paid vacation and wellness days first and then it's reviewed on a case by case basis.

Not sure this position is really for you if you're already looking at taking copious amounts of time off...
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:42 pm
You first have to exhaust all of your paid vacation and wellness days first and then it's reviewed on a case by case basis.

Not sure this position is really for you if you're already looking at taking copious amounts of time off...
I'm not looking to take time off in the near future. I'm merely trying to compare the leave options I have with the feds with what I will have at Wsib. It is very common (especially for women with young kids) in the federal government to take unpaid leave in the summer. It is a nice option if you can afford it and has nothing to do with the job you are doing.
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frenchman101 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:58 pm
I'm not looking to take time off in the near future. I'm merely trying to compare the leave options I have with the feds with what I will have at Wsib. It is very common (especially for women with young kids) in the federal government to take unpaid leave in the summer. It is a nice option if you can afford it and has nothing to do with the job you are doing.
No, they would not allow you as an EA or CM to take time off for extended periods of time for that reason.
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 10:09 am
No, they would not allow you as an EA or CM to take time off for extended periods of time for that reason.
Thank you. That's all I was trying to find out:)
Nov 26, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Frenchman101 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:58 pm
I just checked the collective agreement and it looks like standard leave of absence (paid and unpaid) type scenarios are allowed, but unpaid have to be pre-approved of course. I can't speak to how this plays out in practice though. You definitely aren't "allowed" to take time off in the first 9 months, but there are exceptions of course depending on the situation.
Aug 9, 2017
4 posts
errantlight wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:24 am
I just checked the collective agreement and it looks like standard leave of absence (paid and unpaid) type scenarios are allowed, but unpaid have to be pre-approved of course. I can't speak to how this plays out in practice though. You definitely aren't "allowed" to take time off in the first 9 months, but there are exceptions of course depending on the situation.
9 months? I thought it was for the first 180 days (~6 months)? :O