Careers

WSIB Hiring Process - Eligibility Adjudicator

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:39 am
Tags:
None
Sep 25, 2014
6 posts
Does anyone know the exact date in Jan/18? And are there any future classes in any months after that?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1760 posts
593 upvotes
Jobhunt237 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 9:21 pm
Does anyone know the exact date in Jan/18? And are there any future classes in any months after that?
There will be many classes next year. Don’t have the exact date in January but likely it would be the 2nd or 3rd week I would imagine.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1760 posts
593 upvotes
Jobhunt237 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 9:21 pm
There will be many classes next year. Don’t have the exact date in January but likely it would be the 2nd or 3rd week I would imagine.
Oct 18, 2017
49 posts
5 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 9:40 pm
Do you think it's likely that there will be trainings starting every month?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1760 posts
593 upvotes
lawcareergoals wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:37 am
Do you think it's likely that there will be trainings starting every month?
Not every month but maybe every 6-8 weeks.
Nov 7, 2012
804 posts
304 upvotes
TORONTO
Damn... ok so I just applied for this position.

I'm about to go on parental leave from my current workplace, which is a hospital in the GTA, for 3 months.

That being said, for those who are working in this position. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you unionized?
2. Base pay is decent, what is max and how long?
3. Is there a pension plan tied in? ie. I have over 12 years with HOOP and my hospital matches my contributions x 1.5.
4. What are the chances of doing lateral or even moving up in the workplace?

I'm sure in these 119 pages I will find some answers but it would be a bit tedious. Thanks in advance!
May 8, 2017
51 posts
8 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm about to go on parental leave from my current workplace, which is a hospital in the GTA, for 3 months.

That being said, for those who are working in this position. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you unionized?
3. Is there a pension plan tied in? ie. I have over 12 years with HOOP and my hospital matches my contributions x 1.5.

I'm sure in these 119 pages I will find some answers but it would be a bit tedious. Thanks in advance!
Yes, they are unionized.
According to the current contract, the EA job maxes out at 84K in three years. By the time you would have three years it will likely be 86K.

The pension plan is VERY good. It is the defined benefit kind of plan. Which means that they guarantee what your pension will be. It will be 2% x number of years worked x your average 5 highest salary. So if you work 10 years, it will be 20% of your salary. If you work 20 years, it will be 40. Up to a maximum of 70%.

These types of plans are much better than the kind where you contribute a certain amount and the employer matches or contributes more. That is because they don't guarantee what you will get, it depends on how the money gets invested.

To get the WSIB pension you contribute 5.2 % of your earnings on the first 55k or so, and then 7%.

However, unfortunately, it looks like this percentage will gradually go up in the next few years, to about 10 or so. It depends on whether they go through with some changes to the pension plan.

The benefit will stay the same, though.

They also have pension transfer agreement so you will likely be able to transfer your HOOP pension to WSIB.

I hope this helps.
May 8, 2017
51 posts
8 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:07 pm

1. Are you unionized?

From the EA job it's fairly easy to move up to the case manager job, which maxes out at 96k.
Aug 31, 2017
840 posts
214 upvotes
Frenchman101 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 6:41 pm
Yes, they are unionized.
According to the current contract, the EA job maxes out at 84K in three years. By the time you would have three years it will likely be 86K.

The pension plan is VERY good. It is the defined benefit kind of plan. Which means that they guarantee what your pension will be. It will be 2% x number of years worked x your average 5 highest salary. So if you work 10 years, it will be 20% of your salary. If you work 20 years, it will be 40. Up to a maximum of 70%.

These types of plans are much better than the kind where you contribute a certain amount and the employer matches or contributes more. That is because they don't guarantee what you will get, it depends on how the money gets invested.

To get the WSIB pension you contribute 5.2 % of your earnings on the first 55k or so, and then 7%.

However, unfortunately, it looks like this percentage will gradually go up in the next few years, to about 10 or so. It depends on whether they go through with some changes to the pension plan.

They also have pension transfer agreement so you will likely be able to transfer your HOOP pension to WSIB.

I hope this helps.
All of that sounds great indeed. In fact, Insurance in general pays well and offers relatively good benefits (WSIB has them beat on pension). If you're still younger and motivated, it's probably better to start off in the private insurance world. Gain experience, you'll have much more fun (depending on your firm), and be more competitive down the road. If you decide to start off in sales (think direct writers like Belair), I wouldn't stay longer than 8 months to a year - but it's a good foot into the door.

EDIT: Commercial world will definitely get you further (underwriting, broker, claims)
Nov 7, 2012
804 posts
304 upvotes
TORONTO
Frenchman101 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 6:41 pm
Yes, they are unionized.

I hope this helps.
Sounds great! The pay structure is even better than I thought.

But here's my last question. How much of a soul crushing career is it?
I've been toying with either going to Policing or similar positions like the EA or even investigatory positions. I'm a psych nurse so I've seen and read a lot of craziness in my 12 year career. We're not in the business of denying people but deal with some pretty crazy situations. I'm more of a data hound now utilizing my clinical skills to assess and enter Ministry level type reporting. So I'm familiar with deadlines along with tons of data that would make you want to shoot yourself in the head.

My wife works near Dejardins Insurance and she says the staff that go out for smokes are miserable as hell. Not that it worries me.... all I want is to be able to go home and not have to worry work.
May 8, 2017
51 posts
8 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 8:32 am
Sounds great! The pay structure is even better than I thought.

But here's my last question. How much of a soul crushing career is it?
I've been toying with either going to Policing or similar positions like the EA or even investigatory positions. I'm a psych nurse so I've seen and read a lot of craziness in my 12 year career. We're not in the business of denying people but deal with some pretty crazy situations. I'm more of a data hound now utilizing my clinical skills to assess and enter Ministry level type reporting. So I'm familiar with deadlines along with tons of data that would make you want to shoot yourself in the head.

My wife works near Dejardins Insurance and she says the staff that go out for smokes are miserable as hell. Not that it worries me.... all I want is to be able to go home and not have to worry work.
I'm a fairly new employee myself so I can't really answer that question.
Feb 3, 2016
42 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frenchman101 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 8:43 am
I'm a fairly new employee myself so I can't really answer that question.
I worked as an adjudicator for a number of years and I can say I enjoyed it. It’s all about your own perspective, ability to handle stress, success in separating yourself from the demands of the job, and generally being positive. I’m sure others will have something different to say, but ultimately your experience at WSIB will be impacted by your own personality and ability to handle stress.
Aug 31, 2017
840 posts
214 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 6:52 am
I worked as an adjudicator for a number of years and I can say I enjoyed it. It’s all about your own perspective, ability to handle stress, success in separating yourself from the demands of the job, and generally being positive. I’m sure others will have something different to say, but ultimately your experience at WSIB will be impacted by your own personality and ability to handle stress.
Do you mind me asking are you still with WSIB?