• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 1:17 am
Tags:
None
Dec 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

I applied for the CM role only externally (as I never applied for and was never in the EA pool) on Apr 3rd 2018, for the posting that just ended May 4th. My application status on WSIB says the generic meets pre-screening requirements etc but so far no invite email yet for the online test, nor an in person interview. But I am still hopeful!

Anywho... While the salary range of this CM job is very attractive, TBH at this point in my life and career what matters to me most is work/life balance. Peace of mind. & NON financial PERKS. I understand the job is stressful but would like to hear more about what a WSIB CM's actual workday/work week is like.

For example:
1. Are CMs allowed or able to work remote or from home? If so how often (1 day/week, all days)? If so, does WSIB provide them with company laptops or cellphones to facilitate this?

2. Does WSIB allow CMs to work flexible hours (ie different start/end times), shortened/compressed work week or does everyone work a 9-5?

3. Do CMs travel for work from site to site or are they attached to one particular office? Do they assess claims solely over the phone or in conjunction with face to face interactions?

4. Do CMs have to log in / out of the phones during the day (to record/capture their attendance & productivity) ? I know calls are recorded for QA purposes but are CMs like glorified CSRs stacked side by side like sardines in a closely monitored call centre like environment, or do they work in their own office or desk with some degree of autonomy?

5. How many claims are they expected to handle each day, week or month? Are quotas strictly enforced or is the employer lackadaisical?

6. How easy is it to get vacation time especially during summer and winter holidays? Does it go by seniority or first come first served?

7. Last what is the overall vibe, morale and culture of the people who work there? Are they generally happy or just unhappily there to do the work, collect a cushy pay check and dip?

Really looking forward to any and all feedback re the above from seasoned WSIB staff, past and present.

ZZ.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1088 posts
252 upvotes
ZiiZii wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:59 am
Hi all,

I applied for the CM role only externally (as I never applied for and was never in the EA pool) on Apr 3rd 2018, for the posting that just ended May 4th. My application status on WSIB says the generic meets pre-screening requirements etc but so far no invite email yet for the online test, nor an in person interview. But I am still hopeful!

Anywho... While the salary range of this CM job is very attractive, TBH at this point in my life and career what matters to me most is work/life balance. Peace of mind. & NON financial PERKS. I understand the job is stressful but would like to hear more about what a WSIB CM's actual workday/work week is like.

For example:
1. Are CMs allowed or able to work remote or from home? If so how often (1 day/week, all days)? If so, does WSIB provide them with company laptops or cellphones to facilitate this?

2. Does WSIB allow CMs to work flexible hours (ie different start/end times), shortened/compressed work week or does everyone work a 9-5?

3. Do CMs travel for work from site to site or are they attached to one particular office? Do they assess claims solely over the phone or in conjunction with face to face interactions?

4. Do CMs have to log in / out of the phones during the day (to record/capture their attendance & productivity) ? I know calls are recorded for QA purposes but are CMs like glorified CSRs stacked side by side like sardines in a closely monitored call centre like environment, or do they work in their own office or desk with some degree of autonomy?

5. How many claims are they expected to handle each day, week or month? Are quotas strictly enforced or is the employer lackadaisical?

6. How easy is it to get vacation time especially during summer and winter holidays? Does it go by seniority or first come first served?

7. Last what is the overall vibe, morale and culture of the people who work there? Are they generally happy or just unhappily there to do the work, collect a cushy pay check and dip?

Really looking forward to any and all feedback re the above from seasoned WSIB staff, past and present.

ZZ.
1. There is no work from home, but I leave you can do a modified schedule where you put in more hours a week and get a day off. I guess that goes into your question 2. For instance, instead of working 9-5. You'd work an additional 30 minutes or so a day, and then every 2 weeks you get a day off.

3. I don't believe there is travel and 99% is over the phone

4. I'm not sure on that one - maybe someone else can chime in?

5. It's a union environment so I imagine they look at your performance comparatively to others

6. Most likely seniority rules

7. From people who I've spoken to who worked there, and my brief stint there, the culture/vibe (Toronto) wasn't the best. It was more of a collect paycheque and get an amazing pension. If you want to start a side business or have another ambition, this role could help in that as you get paid handsomely and operate within a 9-5 without taking work home
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1778 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington
ZiiZii wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:59 am
Hi all,

For example:

ZZ.
1 Work from home can be done by some people at the moment (not case managers yet though) only leadership gets tools given to them, everyone else from what I know provides their own work from home equipment.

2 lots of options to work flex and you can usually do any 8hr block from 7:30am to 5pm after you pass practicum and probation.

3 Almost no travel, mostly over the phone but in person meetings do happen usually in your work office though.

4 Everything is tracked but this is a sunshine list position, as long as work within regular limits you will be fine.

5 Quota is strictly enforced mainly during practicum and probation after just do enough so your manager knows you are actually working.

6 Summer, everyone is guaranteed 2 weeks if they want it. Winter is tough, it’s done by seniority so be prepared to only get the statutory holidays and weekends off during the Christmas/New year period for a few years.

7. Not that much different from other similar workplaces but your co-workers here are well paid and if you are in Toronto, you work downtown and will likely have dinner and/or lunches in nice restaurants with co-workers on a regular basis.
They also try to hire young and extremely attractive people so you will love coming to work a little more for that.

I am not a CM but I know the role and the board (WSIB) well.
Jan 8, 2018
19 posts
Anyone here who applied to the 2nd CM posting that closed May 4th, has been recently added to the pool?
I was given a hunch in my interview that the 2nd posting was for Service delivery position's and the 1st was for complex claims..
I received an email yesterday that I'm in the pool for service delivery.. happy/disappointed because I was also told in my interview that they are doing a mass hire at the moment for service delivery.
I was hoping to get a training date right away (the nerve of me ) as I was also told that they had training dates in May and subsequently after that.

Anyone for the CM service delivery received a training date?

Thank you
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1088 posts
252 upvotes
@badmus see to me that's not flex time. With everything being tracked, and working in a union environment, adherence is normally more strictly defined. Nevermind having a lousy manager on top of that. Right now, I work 8-4 but I can work from home and make up my time if I need to take an hour off or half day, without worrying about time blocks. To me, that's flexible time. No clocking in, no clocking out.
Dec 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Wow thank you guys for the speedy and helpful replies.

I'm definitely having second thoughts now abt this CM role at WSIB in light of this new info.

I too also have the privilege to work from home several days a week in conjunction with fixed onsite/"office" half-days. There is also extensive travel in my work. And even though it's unionized, and the Employer does track some unionized staff productivity - they def don't track the start, end, break or lunch times for people in my job classification. Madness. We are trusted to work with a high degree of autonomy. If I'm feeling sick - I could even choose to work from home that day and make up my "office" day later in the week, or not at all lol.

So there is ALOT of freedom to flex time as long you ultimately do your work & don't abuse it.

I simply cannot imagine or stomach the idea of being chained down sitting at a phone 8am-4pm like clockwork, no matter how good the downtown restaurants are lol. I just cannot.

I'm shocked the sunshine list CMs at WSIB don't have even half the flexibility/freedom I currently do. It will take ALOT for me to knowingly give that up.

*disheartened*

ZZ.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1088 posts
252 upvotes
@ZiiZii precisely. What good is having downtown restaurants if you have to be back at your desk to adhere to time. In the summer alone, people are going to be taking 90mins-2 hour lunches catching up with colleagues and enjoying the patio. After being in a track every minute environment for so long, I can never go back to that, no matter how enticing the pay is.

It sounds like you have a good gig. Why the change?
Mar 22, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
I think a lot of people don't know what they are getting into - they see the salary and benefits and forget the rest.

The reality is you are monitored and scrutinised for most of the things you do in this role. You are required to be available on your phone software system for most of the day, but that is impossible because you have endless memos/letters/administrative things to do. Every missed call is logged and used against you. The worst part is, the department is horribly understaffed and the expectations stay the same. Little to no flexibility in the role.

Also, the CM role is not on the sunshine list. There may be a couple out there but it's because they've done extensive overtime (rare). It won't be a sunshine list position for another 3-4 years.
Jan 8, 2018
19 posts
I just spoke to my TA..
Lol so....apparently there isn't a need for external candidates at the moment
Smh
Oct 18, 2017
49 posts
5 upvotes
Alan4563 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 8:27 pm
All training for may and June has been cancelled atm
oh no, that sucks. were people called for those training sessions already or were they cancelled before they were filled?
Dec 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
TBH MyNameIsTaken, I'm just bored in my current role, and looking to spicy things up lol.

But I absolutely don't want to be micromanaged re time. OH NO lol.
Oct 18, 2017
49 posts
5 upvotes
can anyone who works there shed some light? oldmarriedguy or someone else? interested to know what's going on.
May 22, 2018
4 posts
First of all, I would like to thank you all for the relevant information you provided in this thread.It's been very helpful. For myself, I have been successfully added in the external qualified pool for the bilingual Case Manager position in Toronto since early April this year, however, I 'm still waiting patiently for an update from HR. The wait is really confusing as I don't really know how long it's going to take, so I would really appreciate if anyone can provide us with any current updates you got/heard with regards to the training/hiring dates. also, I would be glad to answer any question you have with regards to the hiring process that I went through recently...Thank you very much in advance!