• Nov 24th, 2017 8:43 am
Tags:
None
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
KimFree99 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 8:24 pm
All of the offers for the Sept class have been made. There are no further classes planned for 2016 at this time. Hiring/training will be taking a pause to prepare for the new computer system implementation.
For those of us still on the list, do we have a chance to get hired in 2017?
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Just thought I'd ask a few more questions about life at the WSIB.

I'm currently at a bit of a crossroads in my career because I have mixed experience in multiple areas of my career and haven't really settled on a particular field.

I just got another job that could lead to a lucrative and long lasting career. Since there's a possibility I'll get called back at the WSIB I have concerns about whether I'd be making a career limiting move.

Do I have any real opportunities for advancement from the EA role or is that all there is for me? I'm also worried that the role could get automated significantly or that the WSIB could face major cutbacks in staffing or salaries. For example let's say Patrick Brown becomes our next premier. His party has a history of targeting public service workers and given the WSIB's financial situation they could come after it and cut funding or change legislation.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1432 posts
438 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Oct 9th, 2016 1:37 pm
Just thought I'd ask a few more questions about life at the WSIB.

I'm currently at a bit of a crossroads in my career because I have mixed experience in multiple areas of my career and haven't really settled on a particular field.

I just got another job that could lead to a lucrative and long lasting career. Since there's a possibility I'll get called back at the WSIB I have concerns about whether I'd be making a career limiting move.

Do I have any real opportunities for advancement from the EA role or is that all there is for me? I'm also worried that the role could get automated significantly or that the WSIB could face major cutbacks in staffing or salaries. For example let's say Patrick Brown becomes our next premier. His party has a history of targeting public service workers and given the WSIB's financial situation they could come after it and cut funding or change legislation.
There are many roles to move on from the EA role. It's a possibility that the EA role could become redundant in the future, however, since it is a permanent union position, the board would have to find a position for you within your pay grade elsewhere.

The WSIB has actually been drastically reducing their underfunded liability and will become fully funded within the next 5-10 years. I wouldn't worry about the money aspect from the largest insurer in the Province.

Again, since it's a unionized permanent position, it's unlikely that changes in legislation would have a major impact on your ongoing job security.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
The information has been really helpful so far.

I'm currently happily working at my new job and this qualified candidates list is still lurking in the shadows ready to jump out at me when it gets the chance.

I'm not worried about my future if I remained at the WSIB anymore. But I am worried about the work environment and my capability to survive probation.

My current job could lead to a stable career so giving it up to get fired by the WSIB in 3 months is something I really don't want.

We have so much information about how to get this job and what the testing is like but when it comes to the actual work environment and how people are doing there's almost no information. I saw debates earlier with a lot of deleted posts and incomplete information. Anyone who's gotten hired hasn't returned to talk about it.

Lets reopen this discussion. Is there management bullying, nepotism and unfair treatment of EAs at this company? What are some reasons for the high turnover and what can be done to survive it? My goal would be to become a case manager once I got hired.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1432 posts
438 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:06 am
The information has been really helpful so far.

I'm currently happily working at my new job and this qualified candidates list is still lurking in the shadows ready to jump out at me when it gets the chance.

I'm not worried about my future if I remained at the WSIB anymore. But I am worried about the work environment and my capability to survive probation.

My current job could lead to a stable career so giving it up to get fired by the WSIB in 3 months is something I really don't want.

We have so much information about how to get this job and what the testing is like but when it comes to the actual work environment and how people are doing there's almost no information. I saw debates earlier with a lot of deleted posts and incomplete information. Anyone who's gotten hired hasn't returned to talk about it.

Lets reopen this discussion. Is there management bullying, nepotism and unfair treatment of EAs at this company? What are some reasons for the high turnover and what can be done to survive it? My goal would be to become a case manager once I got hired.
It's not really so much you would get fired after 3 months as that rarely happens. It would be more likely that you quit because you can't handle the stress of practicum or that the job isn't for you.

There is no bullying from management and there is support for EAs. But...if you're not succeeding and not 'getting it' then I can see how it would be a difficult environment to be in.
Feb 3, 2016
38 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@Flieger I work as an EA currently and have passed probation for a while now. i can confirm what OldMarriedGuy has mentioned; it's not often that adjudicators are fired and if it happens it's after the EA is given a number of extensions in practicuum to meet their targets but they are unable to. More often the person wants to leave because they don't like the job or they find the caseload management difficult. Some people enjoy it and others find it difficult. Every organizations has their faults when it comes to management or structure. However, I like the managers and I have worked with many of them. I've never been bullied by management. Some managers are better than others, but that is the case for many organizations. There is a high turnover rate as many adjudications end up moving to case management or other areas in the organization. Be realistic about your expectations because WSIB is a good organization to work for with benefits, security and room to grow, however, EA is challenging and some people think they can do the job only to realize three months later it is not for them. My last thought is there is no surefire way of passing practicuum- there is no magic recipe and everyone's experience is different. You just have to meet the targets they've set out.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1432 posts
438 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 6:37 am
@Flieger I work as an EA currently and have passed probation for a while now. i can confirm what OldMarriedGuy has mentioned; it's not often that adjudicators are fired and if it happens it's after the EA is given a number of extensions in practicuum to meet their targets but they are unable to. More often the person wants to leave because they don't like the job or they find the caseload management difficult. Some people enjoy it and others find it difficult. Every organizations has their faults when it comes to management or structure. However, I like the managers and I have worked with many of them. I've never been bullied by management. Some managers are better than others, but that is the case for many organizations. There is a high turnover rate as many adjudications end up moving to case management or other areas in the organization. Be realistic about your expectations because WSIB is a good organization to work for with benefits, security and room to grow, however, EA is challenging and some people think they can do the job only to realize three months later it is not for them. My last thought is there is no surefire way of passing practicuum- there is no magic recipe and everyone's experience is different. You just have to meet the targets they've set out.
I would agree 100% with this post.

Good luck guys.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Ok so walk me through it.
As the day starts I get maybe 10 claims or more. I have to call all of them before business hours are up and presumably schedule them for a more detailed discovery call?

While I'm doing this they may not answer the phone so obviously I'd need to find a way to keep track of my calls so I don't forget anyone when I move on to the next person.

I'm assuming in between this I have a ton of existing cases that I have I close. These could be at various stages of adjudication currently unknown to me. So I guess the challenge of the job is finding out how to utilize every minute of my time to progress these claims such that there is never even a minute outside my breaks spent on staring at a monitor or hammering the same number over and over till he answers.

This is probably where people get annoyed and frustrated and want to quit because they can't get what they want right away and have to keep calling.

The second part is probably the decisions. I'm guessing in many cases your personal feelings would make you want to give the claimant the benefits but the framework says you can't. So you if you're emotionally sensitive you start to struggle with guilt as you're literally forced to choose between your job and someone else's livelihood and family. They probably tell you every sob story in the book and it probably wears people down after a while.
Feb 3, 2016
38 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@Flieger you're thinking too far ahead. You don't start in practicuum with 10 claims a day and with a caseload of claims pending a decision or needing a review. You are given one claim a day to start and then more claims are allocated to you on a weekly basis. As you go through practicuum you learn how to adjudicate a claim which requires practice in caseload management and case management. After practicuum you continue working your caseload and receive new claims. I can't tell you why others haven't been successful at the job or have wanted to stay. If you're uncertain than you may want to consider if it's the right move for you.

Good luck!
Apr 6, 2015
16 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I was wondering if there are people still waiting since Dec 2015. I have been waiting since. Do they usually call or email when there is a placement opportunity.
Apr 28, 2016
4 posts
I completed my practicum recently and I'm now an EA in probabtion. I would agree with a lot of what has already been said. Caseload management is very important. You will have to find away to remind yourself about what is due and what is outstanding. With respect to making decisions, the first time you get the workplace parties, try to get all the information you can to make the decision. FYI, feelings don't cut it in this job. The facts and merit of each case is what determines the decision. We all have feelings, and it is difficult to isolate feelings from our job. But you have to remember your decision impacts someone either way. WSIB is a great place to work despite what has been said.

Someone asked a question about decision making earlier. With experience and the support of your practicum manager, you will kno overtime when a claim is decision-ready. From my experience, I find the first few weeks to be most challenging because I was trying to figure out how everything works. But overtime once I look at the claim I can identify the issue. You always want to ask yourself why is this claim coming to me to make a decision ?
May 17, 2016
23 posts
12 upvotes
Missyp78 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 11:52 am
I was wondering if there are people still waiting since Dec 2015. I have been waiting since. Do they usually call or email when there is a placement opportunity.
I've only been waiting since May 2016 and it's driving me nuts. Anyone else waiting as long as us or even longer?
Feb 3, 2016
38 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I received a call and they asked me if I'd be interested in the position and whether I'd be available for the training. I then spoke to one of the assistant directors in a separate phone call to discuss the job further.

You can reapply once the posting is up again - you may not have scored as high as others in the pool,which is the reason for the wait. Furthermore, there has been an implementation of a new system which has slowed hiring down as they train all staff and prep training material.
May 17, 2016
23 posts
12 upvotes
Congrats on getting called!

I literally sent an email yesterday asking if I was still being considered and they told me yes and that they were expecting to train new EAs this year but had no set training dates. Not cool man :( I wish we were able to track our statuses anonymously so that we'd be better able to manage expectations while we're in this pool.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)