• Sep 23rd, 2017 5:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9075 posts
68 upvotes
its FT perm.

supposedly calls for this July training were majority internal. the external new hires should be getting trained in sept.
Jun 20, 2017
1 posts
Can anyone who recently applied to the EA position advise if when they log on to the career portion of the website, under "my career tools" if they click on "my applications" and view their application to the job it says at the top under application in progress "not eligible to apply to this job
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
So since this job is unionized, how much are the dues?
Is the union good to the membership? Like do they do a reasonable job of looking out for your interests?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 8:00 pm
So since this job is unionized, how much are the dues?
Is the union good to the membership? Like do they do a reasonable job of looking out for your interests?
It's something like $50 a paycheck.

It's more or less like any union. Once you're permanent it would be very difficult to lose your job and if you did they would find you another comparable postion. They negotiate fair contacts when expired and attempt to have changes made during the contracts if needed (I.E two years ago three additional wellness days were added at the expense of one of the flex schedule arrangement options).

I would say the union is 'better' than PSAC (Federal Government). If you're comparing the two, PSAC takes years to renegotiate expired contracts and from personal experience they don't really do a great job of looking out for all of the memberships interests. As OCEU is a lot smaller they are more available and it would be rare that a contract is expired for more than a couple of months at most. They have consistently negotiated cost of living increases of at least 1.5%/year for the past few contracts.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
That's incredible.
Now I'm starting to understand why people covet this role so much. They work hard but they're treated well for it.

Does the recently announced OPSEU deal with Ontario also cover OCEU? Wynne said she'd provide a 7% increase over 3 years on the new contract if I recall. This has taken many union leaders by surprise.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 5:21 pm
That's incredible.
Now I'm starting to understand why people covet this role so much. They work hard but they're treated well for it.

Does the recently announced OPSEU deal with Ontario also cover OCEU? Wynne said she'd provide a 7% increase over 3 years on the new contract if I recall. This has taken many union leaders by surprise.
No. That is a separate union and contract. The WSIB is a crown corporation which is owned by the Government however they operate separately from the Government. The current agreement is in place to 2019.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
So approximately when will the calls for external candidates start coming in?

At this point it's been a little over a year since I was added to the list. As a June 2016 Candidate I hope it'll be long enough that I'll make the cut this time.
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Flieger wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 12:33 pm
So approximately when will the calls for external candidates start coming in?

At this point it's been a little over a year since I was added to the list. As a June 2016 Candidate I hope it'll be long enough that I'll make the cut this time.
Calls have already been made for the mid-July training group. Offers are based on how well those in the qualified pool scored. Those with the highest scores are offered positions first. In addition, there is an internal qualified pool; I'm not sure, but I would imagine that internal candidates get first crack as this is a unionized position.
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
Hello,

I have a question for ea's already doing the job:

If you must make 4 decisions a day, that basically means you are allowed less than 2 hours per file. I can see how some people find that hard. Are some files really straightforward, where they only take 30 minutes or so?

Thank you.
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@Frenchman101 you do more then just render decisions. You have to follow up and obtain more information. Some claims don't require much work but others do based on their complexity.
May 8, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
MIJ5464 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:40 pm
@[Frenchman101] you do more then just render decisions. You have to follow up and obtain more information. Some claims don't require much work but others do based on their complexity.
That's what I mean, though. You need to obtain more information in order to be able to make a decision, don't you? But you still need to make 4 decisions a day. So you only have an average of 1.8 hours per file to do your research/ analysis?
Feb 3, 2016
35 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You should read my prior posts on the job. It might give you insights on it. The EA day is too complex and varied to describe.