• Nov 9th, 2010 8:45 am
Tags:
None
Apr 1, 2007
173 posts
2 upvotes

WTF!!! Hit and Run on the Highway

UPDATE ON POST 19

warning long post/rant needing opinions.

My daily driver is in the shop getting a stage 1 clutch kit put in, so i get to drive my wifes (new to her) 06 Mazda 3. Seemed like a normal drive on the 400 Southbound until i approached the normal traffic build up just before the 401-west on ramp (I was in lane 4). Now anyone who travels this section knows that there are plenty of impatient morons that are in lanes 5 that always try to cut into lane 4 to try and bypass the traffic build up. While today i got rear ended by a blue ford contour that tried to cut infront of the Toyota Camry behind me (mind you this is at the solid line where you are not allowed to change lanes). He hit me around 20-25km speed. Not sure what to do as i dont know how bad the damage is, i look in my rearview mirror and notice the guy trying to back up and takeoff!!!!

Natural instincts make me follow this dumbass and get his plates while i call 911 to report a hit and run. The officer tells me to back off and stop following and come into the OPP station to make a report with license plate.

Lets just say the OPP stations was a less then memorable moment in my day. I wont go into details but it was a crappy experience. There was no officer available to file a report, and the lard ass behind the desk said he wasn't interested and gave me the info of another officer that was not in. In the end i made a statement and gave him my information and was told the cop will call me and i can get a police report then.

How does this affect my insurance?
What are the chances of the police actually following up on this type of situation?

any helpful information on were things go from here would be appreciated.!!

/rant
25 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
DEZI_EL wrote: warning long post/rant needing opinions.

My daily driver is in the shop getting a stage 1 clutch kit put in, so i get to drive my wifes (new to her) 06 Mazda 3. Seemed like a normal drive on the 400 Southbound until i approached the normal traffic build up just before the 401-west on ramp (I was in lane 4). Now anyone who travels this section knows that there are plenty of impatient morons that are in lanes 5 that always try to cut into lane 4 to try and bypass the traffic build up. While today i got rear ended by a blue ford contour that tried to cut infront of the Toyota Camry behind me (mind you this is at the solid line where you are not allowed to change lanes). He hit me around 20-25km speed. Not sure what to do as i dont know how bad the damage is, i look in my rearview mirror and notice the guy trying to back up and takeoff!!!!

Natural instincts make me follow this dumbass and get his plates while i call 911 to report a hit and run. The officer tells me to back off and stop following and come into the OPP station to make a report with license plate.

Lets just say the OPP stations was a less then memorable moment in my day. I wont go into details but it was a crappy experience. There was no officer available to file a report, and the lard ass behind the desk said he wasn't interested and gave me the info of another officer that was not in. In the end i made a statement and gave him my information and was told the cop will call me and i can get a police report then.

How does this affect my insurance?
What are the chances of the police actually following up on this type of situation?

any helpful information on were things go from here would be appreciated.!!

/rant

Call later today and if they still don't care you can try to go up the chain. Say you'll file a complaint. That should get things moving.

Will not affect your insurance since you got rear ended. Most of the time you get rear ended it's not your fault.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
If you have a complete description of the vehicle, including make, model, colour and the plate, then the other driver is going to regret this day.

You want to get the police report in your hands as soon as possible, to confirm that all information has been taken.

And then call your insurance company with the police report details (officer name, etc.) and of course the vehicle details.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fastlayne wrote: If you have a complete description of the vehicle, including make, model, colour and the plate, then the other driver is going to regret this day.

You want to get the police report in your hands as soon as possible, to confirm that all information has been taken.

And then call your insurance company with the police report details (officer name, etc.) and of course the vehicle details.

Wow, exciting. I hate the guys who try to cross the solid lane, they brak so suddenly and I usually get off blackcreek. These morons slow traffic down behind them. I'd love to hear the update, so please do update.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
report to your insurance regardless. Tell them what happened, what you did and what you got. At least you'll get yours fixed at no cost (you're not at fault).
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1543 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
conix67 wrote: report to your insurance regardless. Tell them what happened, what you did and what you got. At least you'll get yours fixed at no cost (you're not at fault).
even if its no fault too many no fault accidents will cause a spike in your insurance. before you call youe insurance company determine how much it will cost you and the deductible and see if its worthwhile. a call to them reporting an accident irrespective of whether you make a claim or not goes into your record so i am told. anyone out there who can back this up or disprove it.
Apr 1, 2007
173 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys.

I got a full description of the car and license plate, aswell as blue paint scuff on my bumper to prove the *******s car hit me.

I will call the officer in a couple hours if i dont hear from him before then.

It was pretty shocking following this guy down black creek while he tried to drive off like nothing happened. When i started honking him and flashing thats when he tried to really take off and drive even more irrationally(cutting off on the shoulder, weaving in out of lanes)..

I already called the insurance company and submitted a claim. Someone from the insurance company will call me in the next 24 hrs. I will only bother having insurance take care of it if my deductible is waived. Otherwise, i will do it myself. Damage is not that bad, (busted lower lip on bumper, busted reflector light, and bumper shifted but i popped it back in place easily).

Hopefully i will have an update later this afternoon.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
There is no doubt that the other driver is working on a story and it could be that he was never on the 400 today.

He could claim that the damage to his vehicle was discovered after returning to his vehicle in a parking lot.

I guess you didn't have any witnesses, based on the timeline of the events.

I hope that he is wearing a diaper when the OPP come knocking on his door.
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Probably you are going to be fine with your insurance, it is a rear end + hit & run, is good that you got all the information of the car that hit you.

Is a pleasure to see these hit & run morons getting screwed.
Dec 21, 2009
125 posts
4 upvotes
I agree that this guy is a moron and I drive that same route every morning and hate when people do that but if he doesn't admit to hitting the OP there is no way they can prove it was him.

I'm not a lawyer and I know this isn't a criminal matter but does this guy have to talk to the cops and answer their questions?

Best thing would be for him to not make up a story because it's stupid to lie to the police but instead not say anything at all.

I'm not 100% on this but how can they charge the driver if he doesn't admit to driving?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
fastlayne wrote: If you have a complete description of the vehicle, including make, model, colour and the plate, then the other driver is going to regret this day.
Of course if you don't have a description/photo of the driver and they are a real weasel they will report their car stolen, park it up somewhere and abandon it, and get out of all the trouble because OP just has a description of the car. Or perhaps it's not even that driver's car or perhaps the plates are not valid/for that vehicle, etc.

There's a lot more ways these weasels get out of trouble, believe me. It's unbelieveable that the police tell you crap like "stop following them" when in reality you go see the police and they don't do a damn thing to help you.

Many years ago, some guy rear ended me. The damage was not bad but he pushed my bumper down and put marks in it from his front LP screws. He did stop but he tried to weasel out right away. Police never came to the scene (they never do in Toronto because there's no officers available for that) and the guy took off without giving me his info, suddenly changing his story to "I never touched you" :rolleyes: Uh yeah then why the hell did he stop his car for a half hour and pull into a nearby parking lot with me. Anyway I knew who the guy was (meaning I saw his face), I gave the LP to the police over the phone, told them he was running, etc. Filed at the collision centre and wasted my whole day by going there, etc. When I went to the collision centre it took like 40 mins to track down the police dispatcher that took the initial information (stupidly I figured if I already gave the LP to the police I wouldn't have to write it down). Anyway finally they recovered the LP from the dispatch conversation notes or whatever, but not like that did any good anyway...

Guess what the police did in the end? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I called a few times back to the collision centre and the lazy moron "officers" that worked there just kept making up excuses about how they don't follow up that fast and call back in a few weeks. Eventually I gave up realising guys like this weasel that hit me get away with this stuff all the time. Police don't give a crap either. The only thing I've heard that will get the police moving and actually doing something is if you say you saw the guy and he "looked drunk to me" and then they will be on him. Otherwise it's time for more doughnuts. So a word to the wise, if you want the police to do something in a hit & run, always say that you thought they looked/acted drunk, lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2433 posts
247 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
Glad to hear you got the plate, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the car is stolen/borrowed and the owner is going to be visited by the cops...
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Edited by the RFD Moderation Team
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
everylittlecent wrote: even if its no fault too many no fault accidents will cause a spike in your insurance. before you call youe insurance company determine how much it will cost you and the deductible and see if its worthwhile. a call to them reporting an accident irrespective of whether you make a claim or not goes into your record so i am told. anyone out there who can back this up or disprove it.

Too many, maybe. There's no deductible if you're not at fault by the way.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Of course if you don't have a description/photo of the driver and they are a real weasel they will report their car stolen, park it up somewhere and abandon it, and get out of all the trouble because OP just has a description of the car. Or perhaps it's not even that driver's car or perhaps the plates are not valid/for that vehicle, etc.

There's a lot more ways these weasels get out of trouble, believe me. It's unbelieveable that the police tell you crap like "stop following them" when in reality you go see the police and they don't do a damn thing to help you.

Many years ago, some guy rear ended me. The damage was not bad but he pushed my bumper down and put marks in it from his front LP screws. He did stop but he tried to weasel out right away. Police never came to the scene (they never do in Toronto because there's no officers available for that) and the guy took off without giving me his info, suddenly changing his story to "I never touched you" :rolleyes: Uh yeah then why the hell did he stop his car for a half hour and pull into a nearby parking lot with me. Anyway I knew who the guy was (meaning I saw his face), I gave the LP to the police over the phone, told them he was running, etc. Filed at the collision centre and wasted my whole day by going there, etc. When I went to the collision centre it took like 40 mins to track down the police dispatcher that took the initial information (stupidly I figured if I already gave the LP to the police I wouldn't have to write it down). Anyway finally they recovered the LP from the dispatch conversation notes or whatever, but not like that did any good anyway...

Guess what the police did in the end? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I called a few times back to the collision centre and the lazy moron "officers" that worked there just kept making up excuses about how they don't follow up that fast and call back in a few weeks. Eventually I gave up realising guys like this weasel that hit me get away with this stuff all the time. Police don't give a crap either. The only thing I've heard that will get the police moving and actually doing something is if you say you saw the guy and he "looked drunk to me" and then they will be on him. Otherwise it's time for more doughnuts. So a word to the wise, if you want the police to do something in a hit & run, always say that you thought they looked/acted drunk, lol.
In a similar situation I was in, I called 911 right away because the guy rearended me, instead of apologizing, started with yelling claiming that I jumped in front of him. Because it was off-ramp from 407, technically, 911 dispatched opp who shows up in 5 min.

He didn't do anything, looked at both cars, and pulled me aside and asked me to go to the collision center and report it, and get it fixed through insurance. He said "don't deal with that guy directly".

Guess I should have taken his advice right away. In the end, I went through the insurance, reported to collision center, and the car was fixed.

Get your insurance handle the whole thing, they will help you since you're a paying customer. Dealing with police on small accidents will not get you anything, they won't care much.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Dealz-4-U wrote: I was in a hit and run this past June my car was damaged in the back bumber in a parking lot, and my insurance made me pay the $500 deductible on my policy... :confused:

Sounds like this was considered under "comprehensive coverage" rather than a not-at-fault collision case. If you have any information on the other driver, it would have been different.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Dealz-4-U wrote: I was in a hit and run this past June my car was damaged in the back bumber in a parking lot, and my insurance made me pay the $500 deductible on my policy... :confused:

That's a comprehensive claim which is subject to your deductible.
Aug 29, 2009
771 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
me got hit too on wheel and a bit on bumper. parking lot. he or she ran. nail this guy to the floor if you can. he dont deserve anything.
Apr 1, 2007
173 posts
2 upvotes
While I called the officer on Friday on my way home from work and he told me that he was dealing with the other party involved in the accident and had asked me to come to the station to pick up my copy of the report.

Once i got there, who do i see parked in the lot? the *******s car that hit me!!!! I decide to park right next to this douche bag so i can have a word with him when he leaves the station. Once inside I see 3 people, at that time i didn't know but 2 of them were in the car when it hit me, and the other was pretty much a family member who was a translator.

The cop went on to tell me that the guy that hit me is visiting from another country and borrowed the car from someone, who has it registered under a business. During this time the three people leave and get into a parked SUV, and park behind the car that hit me. I then see a guy get out go get something from his car and get back in the SUV. The cop
was watching this the whole time and at that point pretty much gave me a run down of his findings:

The registered owner of the company was charged with failure to remain.
If they do not produce insurance by Sunday evening, they will also be charged with no insurance, and i get to go to court.

What pisses me off is that, if they have no insurance, I don't get **** for getting my car repaired, police collect their $5000 dollar fine for no insurance, and I will have to take a day off work to attend court to testify. All in all, i get screwed!!!

Does anyone have any experience with suing the registered business that the car belongs too?
Do you think I should just let my insurance and the police deal with this?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1223 posts
123 upvotes
DEZI_EL wrote: While I called the officer on Friday on my way home from work and he told me that he was dealing with the other party involved in the accident and had asked me to come to the station to pick up my copy of the report.

Once i got there, who do i see parked in the lot? the *******s car that hit me!!!! I decide to park right next to this douche bag so i can have a word with him when he leaves the station. Once inside I see 3 people, at that time i didn't know but 2 of them were in the car when it hit me, and the other was pretty much a family member who was a translator.

The cop went on to tell me that the guy that hit me is visiting from another country and borrowed the car from someone, who has it registered under a business. During this time the three people leave and get into a parked SUV, and park behind the car that hit me. I then see a guy get out go get something from his car and get back in the SUV. The cop
was watching this the whole time and at that point pretty much gave me a run down of his findings:

The registered owner of the company was charged with failure to remain.
If they do not produce insurance by Sunday evening, they will also be charged with no insurance, and i get to go to court.

What pisses me off is that, if they have no insurance, I don't get **** for getting my car repaired, police collect their $5000 dollar fine for no insurance, and I will have to take a day off work to attend court to testify. All in all, i get screwed!!!

Does anyone have any experience with suing the registered business that the car belongs too?
Do you think I should just let my insurance and the police deal with this?

Yes I think you should let your insurance deal with it, and if they don't then talk to a lawyer. And then get a new insurance policy with another company who will...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Digo wrote: Yes I think you should let your insurance deal with it, and if they don't then talk to a lawyer. And then get a new insurance policy with another company who will...

You'll sue the business. No big deal. If the business doesn't have enough assets, that's unfortunate, you can pursue a personal lawsuit against the driver for negligence.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)