Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat

X Box One or PS4

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying X box one or PS 4 for Christmas.. just trying to weighing my options with my needs.

Sounds silly but I only want a system to play these games:

NHL 18
Battle Front 1 & 2

Just wondering opinions on which system is better for these games including online play. I'm not into the exclusives so that's not a factor.
Any opinions on one or the other? X Box one seems like it's the most affordable in the next couple weeks, so kind of leaning on that. Thanks!
47 replies
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
Sounds like a problem I've seen before:

Keep in mind that they have newer versions which may include things you want, such as 4K support or a blu-ray player.
I feel like PS Plus is better value compared to Xbox Gold, but since you're looking to play online, take a look and see which one you like better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
So all in all these games would perform equally on both systems?

Why would you say PS Plus is better value to Xbox Gold? And do they cost the same?
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5933 upvotes
You probably won't notice a difference in performance between the baseline SKUs for Playstation and Xbox. If you get the really expensive Xbox One X then it will be noticeably better but obviously its $599 so that's the tradeoff.

I think its a toss up. PS Plus had a few crappy years but in the past six months has really kicked it up. Xbox Gold was much better for awhile but has been draggin butt lately. They are usually the same price and on sale can be found for $40-50 often. Again just a toss up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Redmask wrote: You probably won't notice a difference in performance between the baseline SKUs for Playstation and Xbox. If you get the really expensive Xbox One X then it will be noticeably better but obviously its $599 so that's the tradeoff.
So is it better to get the xbox one X version to futureproof? Or will there be equal support for the base and X version until the next gen Xbox?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Like others have said, whichever console friends play on. If you want more exclusives, perhaps PS4 at this point. Good sales on both units upcoming so can't really go wrong.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5933 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: So is it better to get the xbox one X version to futureproof? Or will there be equal support for the base and X version until the next gen Xbox?
No one can predict the future but I think you are safe with either the Xbox One or PS4 baseline SKUs for a long time. No devs/publishers are interested in a split consumer base any time soon. To put it into perspective, there are something like 60+ million PS4s out there and an estimated 28M Xbox Ones. No one is going to ignore that many consumers to focus on the 500k-1M Xbox One X owners or the 2M PS4 Pro owners.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10106 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
Wiseman wrote: So is it better to get the xbox one X version to futureproof? Or will there be equal support for the base and X version until the next gen Xbox?
If you have the cash to burn, I'd get the Xbox One X. Games will look better than any other version - especially if you have a 4K HDR TV.

NHL18 will look the same on base Xbox and PS4
Battlefront 2 will look better on PS4 over base Xbox

But as other's have said, if you play online with friends, get what they have.

Personally, I prefer the Xbox controller (I have both Xbox One X and base PS4). I've been on Xbox longer so my online gaming with friends is 99% on the Xbox.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
Get Xbox because of EA Access. You can get "free" Battlefront 1 right now followed by NHL 18 in next 4/5 months.
Nov 17, 2012
96 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, if you don't mind not really "owning" your games, EA Access is a great deal and only available on X1 currently. It's something like $30 a year for access to a bunch of EA games. New releases aren't available immediately of course but get added later on (it varies, but usually something like 6 months to a year)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
I like the Xbox integration with Windows 10, and currently the multimedia/application capabilities are stronger with X.

PS4 Pro might have some better exclusives, and PSVR ... though I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Windows VR stuff appearing on X sometime soon considering the hardware requirements are so minimal.

Really you can't go wrong with either ... and if you don't have one already, you are probably somewhat "casual" and likely would be happy with either choice.

EA Access is a fabulous service that it is going to give you a ton of games for $29/year. You really can't go wrong even though everyone "hates EA" right now.

If what your friends have doesn't matter, I'd base it on exclusives that are important to you ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Yeah EA access I think makes this a no brainer to go with xbox one. For 30$/year you'll get unlimited access to a bunch of EA games as well as 10 trials of all the new games which in my experience is usually enough time with these games.

Also xbox gamepass is a really good way to try out a bunch of old titles for cheap. You'll get Halo 5, Gears 4, and 100+ other titles for 10$/month (though there is ways to get it for free)

Xb1s had a 4k blu ray player as well which the Ps4 does not.

However Ps4 is a bit more powerful than XB1 and also if you play a lot of single player story based games Ps4 had much better selection.

Keep in mind Xb1x and ps4 pro are just supe charged versions of the base models but they all play the exact same games and won't receive any exclusives
Nov 22, 2013
109 posts
13 upvotes
Brampton
Wiseman wrote: Hi all,

I'm interested in buying X box one or PS 4 for Christmas.. just trying to weighing my options with my needs.

Sounds silly but I only want a system to play these games:

NHL 18
Battle Front 1 & 2

Just wondering opinions on which system is better for these games including online play. I'm not into the exclusives so that's not a factor.
Any opinions on one or the other? X Box one seems like it's the most affordable in the next couple weeks, so kind of leaning on that. Thanks!
Get PS4 and NHL 18. I'll be picking up the Pro around Christmas and we can play nhl 18.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Technology and future proof will never belong in the same sentence.

Don’t bother with the one x or the PS4 pro. If you do consider one of those just wait for the next gen in probably 2-3 years.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: Technology and future proof will never belong in the same sentence.

Don’t bother with the one x or the PS4 pro. If you do consider one of those just wait for the next gen in probably 2-3 years.
next gen is done and over with... at least in regards fro Xbox.
It's exactly how PC gaming is.... old games work with new stuff... new games don't work as well with old stuff..
then you upgrade...
Want 60fps constant, 8k - get an Xbox One X3
Want 60fps constant, 4k - get an Xbox One X2
Want 30fps constant, 4k - get an Xbox One X

Etc.. Etc.. just like how PC Gaming, you can disable AA, shadow, gamma blah blah blah to speed up the game..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Thanks all for the responses.. jumped on the SDM Xbox one S deal today which ended up being in essence $175 all in.

Just a question about the EA subscription, when will NHL 18 be available?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Wiseman wrote: Thanks all for the responses.. jumped on the SDM Xbox one S deal today which ended up being in essence $175 all in.

Just a question about the EA subscription, when will NHL 18 be available?
You'll get 10 hours for free but it usually goes totally free around March - April
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
SpicYMchaggis wrote: You'll get 10 hours for free but it usually goes totally free around March - April
Ahh.. that's too late for a sports title.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Ps4 hands down if u care about exclusives.

If not, go with whichever your friends play on.

Personally, I have a gaming pc and coupled with Microsoft's play anywhere library, I can't justify an Xbox.