Automotive

X-copper/ Points.. etc.. which is cheaper?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2010 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1833 posts
132 upvotes

X-copper/ Points.. etc.. which is cheaper?

son got into a fender bender this morning... got charged with Careless.

sure.. he was at fault.. but careless is a catch-all when the Cop doesn't want to think.

anyone have any experience or any other suggestions? I got a quote from X-coppers. They want $500+tax to represent him.. which will likely lower the fine and points. I have yet to call Points.

What other options are out there?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1675 posts
248 upvotes
Hiring them is not really beneficial since they only promise reduced fine and points.

From my own personal experience, if you just show up at the court yourself, they reduce the careless charge associated with fender bender or any other minor accident to a 3 pt, reduced fine etc. without going to the trial...so now for insurance purposes you just get a ticket and not serious conviction so the insurance will go up but not as much as a careless conviction.

You can also chose to fight if you feel confident and prepare your case ahead of time.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2010 1:58 pm
Hiring them is not really beneficial since they only promise reduced fine and points.

From my own personal experience, if you just show up at the court yourself, they reduce the careless charge associated with fender bender or any other minor accident to a 3 pt, reduced fine etc. without going to the trial...so now for insurance purposes you just get a ticket and not serious conviction so the insurance will go up but not as much as a careless conviction.

You can also chose to fight if you feel confident and prepare your case ahead of time.

I also agree with this. I would represent myself.

But if you want to hire them, we expect a report after about how you spent $500, still had a $300 fine to pay (bringing total cost to $800), and conviction with reduced demerit points; and how your insurance still went up (another additional cost on top of the $800). LOL.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2683 posts
443 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2010 1:58 pm

Before you decide whether to fight it yourself or not, you should find out what your son was doing prior to the accident. The officer might have every reason to give your son a careless driving ticket (ie. your son was weaving in and out of lanes while speeding, etc etc)

I had a careless driving ticket 6 years ago. I was going 70 in a 50 zone. The officer writes "spee" on the ticket then crosses it out and writes careless driving. I go to trial and officer comes to me and offers to reduce it to 0 points and $40 fine lol. I was so intent on fighting the ticket but the risk was too high so I accepted his offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1996 posts
559 upvotes
Unless by fighting the ticket you get the offence changed from careless driving to something lesser, points and fine will not matter when it comes to insurance. Whether you got a Careless driving charge and a fine of $1000 and 5 points or it's a Careless driving charge and a fine of $200 and 1 point, your son's insurance will go up the same either way.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)