Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

X-Lite Electric Torch for Kamado BBQ

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2014 1:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5989 upvotes
Cyc66 wrote: I bought this on Saturday and I can see why it's on liquidation. First, it's huge. It looks like a curling iron for giants. Secondly, you have to plug it in which can be a hastle if you're not near an outlet. Finally, after you use it you have to figure out where to put it while it cools down. I highly recommend everyone use a propane or MAAP/Pro torch instead. It gets the charcoal going in less than 30 seconds. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bz8000k ... kit/968882
I use the http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html to light my Weber charcoal kettle. It works well - 4 or 5 blasts of flame and the lump charcoal is is lit.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
plymouthhater wrote: I use the http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html to light my Weber charcoal kettle. It works well - 4 or 5 blasts of flame and the lump charcoal is is lit.
This looks like a great idea for lighting charcoal and is cheaper, but it does not have the portability or convenience of the MAAP/Pro torch. I don't think I want to hook this up to the propane tank every time I use my Kamado.
Jul 3, 2014
59 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
StratMangler wrote: Yikes. I'd never get something like that. Propane doesn't taste good.

Charcoal does. I don't mind waiting 10 min while my charcoal heats up with my U-shaped starter.
Sorry, but that's the goofiest thing I've ever heard. You cannot taste propane or natural gas on your food... if you could, tens of millions of gas BBQs and countless high-end restaurants would have some sort of issue with taste. Butane maybe, but propane and natural gas absolutely not, particularly of you're just lighting charcoal.

I've used propane (torch, Weber Performer ignition), a heat stripper, canola soaked paper towels in a chimney and the original looftlighter, and this now $20 looftlighter knock off is fantastic. Quick, convenient and set it down on its included stand even on a wood deck- completely safe. Only complaint is ash can get blown around a bit. Going to buy another one for back up.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
SirBuford wrote: Sorry, but that's the goofiest thing I've ever heard. You cannot taste propane or natural gas on your food... if you could, tens of millions of gas BBQs and countless high-end restaurants would have some sort of issue with taste. Butane maybe, but propane and natural gas absolutely not, particularly of you're just lighting charcoal.

I've used propane (torch, Weber Performer ignition), a heat stripper, canola soaked paper towels in a chimney and the original looftlighter, and this now $20 looftlighter knock off is fantastic. Quick, convenient and set it down on its included stand even on a wood deck- completely safe. Only complaint is ash can get blown around a bit. Going to buy another one for back up.
Then you should have your taste buds checked.

I can (and everybody who is any fan of BBQ that I've ever known) most definitely taste the difference. Otherwise, nobody would ever go through the hassle of cooking through a charcoal-based BBQ because the same end result could be done with gas with far less hassle and waiting time.
Jul 3, 2014
59 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Re-read the post.

There is an absence of taste when using gas. You cannot taste propane on your food as you're burning a simple molecule, with the byproducts being water vapour and CO2. The flavour profile of gas 'bbq' will only come from the meat, brine, sauce, rubs, etc, and not the fuel that gas been used to cook it with. This is why a gas smoker needs pellets or pucks for flavour.

Charcoal adds complex flavours due the organic matter which is being burned and subsequent chemical reaction.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Cyc66 wrote: I don't think that one has an igniter, but you're right, there are cheaper models.
dollarama also sells cheap lighters ;)
Jan 2, 2007
325 posts
212 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
charlesd79 wrote: dollarama also sells cheap lighters ;)
A lighter won't get the charcoal lit as easily as a torch.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Cyc66 wrote: A lighter won't get the charcoal lit as easily as a torch.
:facepalm:
my reply was to your complaint about the lack of an igniter on the $13 (now $16, the sale expired) blowtorch (compared to the $65 HD one)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2008
1163 posts
1220 upvotes
Montreal
Has anyone seen this in Costco's around Montreal?
Anyone has the sku?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
Costco Calgary South is selling it for $19.97. Bought one. There are about 15 left. No other Costco in Calgary has them except the south store.
sku 874587
Aug 23, 2001
519 posts
709 upvotes
NS
StratMangler wrote: Then you should have your taste buds checked.

I can (and everybody who is any fan of BBQ that I've ever known) most definitely taste the difference. Otherwise, nobody would ever go through the hassle of cooking through a charcoal-based BBQ because the same end result could be done with gas with far less hassle and waiting time.
You guys are arguing about two different things.

Everyone with a taste bud can tell the difference between charcoal and gas BBQs, that is not being disputed. However, I'd wager a whole dollar that no one can taste the trace amounts of propane on their food after a blow torch is used to light a charcoal BBQ.

BBQ on.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Mailliw wrote: You guys are arguing about two different things.

Everyone with a taste bud can tell the difference between charcoal and gas BBQs, that is not being disputed. However, I'd wager a whole dollar that no one can taste the trace amounts of propane on their food after a blow torch is used to light a charcoal BBQ.

BBQ on.
Huh? Man, you guys don't know how to BBQ if that's how you light it. Yuck!

Obviously, you'll taste some of that nastyness in your food. Why would anybody do that?

Pour some charcoal and use an electric starter. Wait 10-15 min and your BBQ is as hot as you want it to be. The end. Using any other methods with propane, lighter fluid, or anything else is jeopardizing the flavor.

As far as I'm concerned, it's charcoal or bust. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3341 posts
2076 upvotes
I started using a chimney with a bit of packing paper in the bottom. Lights up quick and nice. Not sure why you would need something like this... especially difficult if camping. But I only use the charcoal side of the bbq for smoking so I'm no expert on tasting residue.
Aug 5, 2005
443 posts
540 upvotes
Agree 100% How much easier could a chimney be? And it let's you control your lighting method (by varying the amount of coal your lighting). Very important for different types of cooks.
uklamen wrote: I started using a chimney with a bit of packing paper in the bottom. Lights up quick and nice. Not sure why you would need something like this... especially difficult if camping. But I only use the charcoal side of the bbq for smoking so I'm no expert on tasting residue.
Jul 3, 2014
59 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
StratMangler wrote: Huh? Man, you guys don't know how to BBQ if that's how you light it. Yuck!

Obviously, you'll taste some of that nastyness in your food. Why would anybody do that?

Pour some charcoal and use an electric starter. Wait 10-15 min and your BBQ is as hot as you want it to be. The end. Using any other methods with propane, lighter fluid, or anything else is jeopardizing the flavor.

As far as I'm concerned, it's charcoal or bust. :)
I'll make sure to tell the four different guys who used MAPP propane torches to light their smokers and won up to $15k in judged competitions that they're doing it wrong next time they're coming off the podium.

All this time only coming as high as 8th in brisket, ribs or pork... thank goodness someone knows their bbq!

Next time you're in an authentic bbq joint (no, Montana's doesn't count), ask to see their kitchen and check out the smokers. 10:1 it's gas-fired and uses pellets, pucks or wood for flavour as opposed to heat.
Jul 3, 2014
59 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
uklamen wrote: I started using a chimney with a bit of packing paper in the bottom. Lights up quick and nice. Not sure why you would need something like this... especially difficult if camping. But I only use the charcoal side of the bbq for smoking so I'm no expert on tasting residue.
I've used the looftlighter on a few different Kamados and kettles for grilling. Pretty convenient at getting a quick grill fire going, not as much control for a smoker. Can't really go wrong for $20 if you have an electrical outlet near your grill/smoker.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1764 posts
832 upvotes
I just picked one up at the Barrie Costco. 19.97. They had lots.