None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
Dieagosilva wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 5:17 am
Can anybody tell me about the differences between X-Men and X-Men Apocalypse???
You mean the original movie from the 2000s?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7507 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
Dieagosilva wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 5:17 am
Can anybody tell me about the differences between X-Men and X-Men Apocalypse???
The company that owns the rights to the X-Men (Fox?) has to keep using their rights or they revert to Marvel. X-Men was the original X-Men movie which I think came out around the year 2000. It spawn one really good sequel, and a really bad sequel (plus some wolverine movies). After the dismal 3rd movie (in order to retain their rights) they decided to do prequel x-men movies with new casts (except for hugh jackman who appeared in them). Basically the last 3 x-men movies have been the prequel movies, with the 2nd one erasing the events of the X-Men 3.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1593 posts
252 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 12:27 pm
The franchise is deteriorating in quality so I'm hoping they can still push through good content.
What? Logan was probably the best one of them all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
Debonair wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:27 pm
What? Logan was probably the best one of them all.
I didn't count the Wolverine spinoffs, I meant the main franchise that had the "X-Men" name.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10597 posts
587 upvotes
Scarborough
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:47 pm
I didn't count the Wolverine spinoffs, I meant the main franchise that had the "X-Men" name.
They are 4 for 6 in terms of good to great movies. I personally enjoyed X-Men, X2, First Class and DOFP. The initial entries are good movies. The second entries of both trilogies are excellent and the third ones are bad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
thechampion116 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 2:50 pm
They are 4 for 6 in terms of good to great movies. I personally enjoyed X-Men, X2, First Class and DOFP. The initial entries are good movies. The second entries of both trilogies are excellent and the third ones are bad.
To each their own. I didn't say the movies were bad just that I felt the quality was deteriorating so while I still watched and enjoyed each movie, I felt they weren't getting better compared to their predecessors.
Oct 28, 2016
117 posts
19 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 11:32 am
The company that owns the rights to the X-Men (Fox?) has to keep using their rights or they revert to Marvel. X-Men was the original X-Men movie which I think came out around the year 2000. It spawn one really good sequel, and a really bad sequel (plus some wolverine movies). After the dismal 3rd movie (in order to retain their rights) they decided to do prequel x-men movies with new casts (except for hugh jackman who appeared in them). Basically the last 3 x-men movies have been the prequel movies, with the 2nd one erasing the events of the X-Men 3.
So, umm... I take it Logan (2017) is a sequel and not a prequel right? I really don't know. I watched the first two X-Men movies. And I liked them. I was young then, I didn't watch any of the other ones.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10597 posts
587 upvotes
Scarborough
Dieagosilva wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 4:03 pm
So, umm... I take it Logan (2017) is a sequel and not a prequel right? I really don't know. I watched the first two X-Men movies. And I liked them. I was young then, I didn't watch any of the other ones.
Its kind of confusing. Logan is a sequel that supposedly is not part of the main universe of X-Men films. It's standalone.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, I consider Singer's movies as basically a reboot to the X-Men franchise (they reconciled it plot-wise via the time travel used in Days of Future Past), but as far as I'm concerned, there's no storyline relation to the first X-Men movies from the early 2000s other than the names of the characters. The "prequel" X-Men movies basically stopped being prequels and became a reboot once they time traveled and altered the past; this was Fox's way of being able to make new storylines with the "young" cast without people going "hey but so and so is supposed to be alive/dead in the first movies!"

In order of chronological, it goes...

First Class - 1960s
Days of Future Past - distant future, but time traveling to 1970s - Time travel in this movie basically changed the future so it's up in the air whether the events from the 2000s movie are relevant anymore
X-Men Apocalypse - 1980s

X-Men - 2000s
X2 - 2000s
X-Men Last Stand - mid-2000s

The Wolverine movies (X-Men Origins and The Wolverine) are meant to be set somewhere in between the 2000s X-Men movies.

Logan is set in the future so somewhere like 2020+ where everyone is either old or dead. This is more of an "alternate" future type of thing though.

I might've messed up the specifics but that's more or less the order.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17741 posts
1320 upvotes

There's debate whether Logan is in the new or old timeline since Managold said he wasn't concerned about continuity and wanted to make the best Wolverine movie a standalone as mentioned earlier in this thread. There certainly were things that linked it back to the original timeline specifically X-Men 3 and The Wolverine.

They took inspiration from Old Man Logan which as an alternate universe's future in the comics (until they brought Logan over to the main universe last year) so it's best to just think of Logan as something similar.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17741 posts
1320 upvotes
Olivia Munn calls Dark Phoenix a two parter.
http://collider.com/olivia-munn-intervi ... k-phoenix/
I don’t know what I’m supposed to say. I’m supposed to be vague. That’s my answer. I’m horrible at that. It’s like a two parter, this movie. That’s more than I’ve said, in general. I don’t know why people have to be so secretive.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4247 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:53 am

There's debate whether Logan is in the new or old timeline since Managold said he wasn't concerned about continuity and wanted to make the best Wolverine movie a standalone as mentioned earlier in this thread. There certainly were things that linked it back to the original timeline specifically X-Men 3 and The Wolverine.

They took inspiration from Old Man Logan which as an alternate universe's future in the comics (until they brought Logan over to the main universe last year) so it's best to just think of Logan as something similar.
Logan was a really really bad movie

didn't like it at all.
Oct 27, 2016
184 posts
33 upvotes
I am a big fan of X-Men series. What about Hugh Jackman? Is he going to act in this movie? I love him. I think no one can replace him.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3876 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
make a Marvel/X-Men zombie movie!
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a