None
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2607 posts
471 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 11:16 pm
Finally got around to watching this.
I think as I was braced for it to be terrible, it exceeded expectations?
It was terrible - just not as bad as I was ready for.

Raven was for this series what the cheerleader was for Heroes.
Initially awesome, then the feeling of being forced to experience these star driven characters whose arcs were best left behind.
Agreed, just saw it over the weekend. Could have been worse, F4 worse.

I can’t wait for the MCU version.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2012 posts
456 upvotes
Ontario
Terrible movie. There was no need for it with so many other X-Men not even introduced yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3948 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't seen this yet and I am really hesitant to sit down and even give it a chance. I would rather see other movies for Gambit/Jubilee or even some of the other bad guys like Juggernaut!

Now that disney purchased fox, this should all be produced in a better manner.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3641 posts
781 upvotes
I saw it and it wasn't so bad, probably due to my expectations being so low. There were quite a few boring parts that I wanted to fall asleep.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8738 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
Yah I didn't loathe it. It wasn't great, but there were moments I liked. I quite enjoyed the first 16 minutes... then it flaked out a bit, then there was some of it I still liked.

It's a bit rough for Fox and Sony having to keep pumping out sequels to keep the movie rights. Sometimes it does feel like they're just doing it to keep the IP. At least Fox is now with Marvel, so that should get interesting down the road.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11671 posts
1385 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Zero1 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 9:16 am
I would rather see other movies for Gambit/Jubilee or even some of the other bad guys like Juggernaut!
Juggernaut and Firefist! :D :D :D

They need to abandon the comic stories and just come up with new ones that work for single movies. Sure, Dark Phoenix was a great story, but that's because people were invested the characters, having spent years with them, and there was time to let the story develop. As mentioned in the Chris Claremont documentary (now available at alternate internet distribution sites), X-Men was a comic book soap opera, and you can't do soap opera in a movie.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1803 posts
405 upvotes
They already did the the Phoenix story with X-men 3 last stand (regarded as the weakest in the original 2000 saga), why would you reboot a failure?

Apocalypse was a great villain but they destroyed it with a crazy forgettable meh imagining and script. The sentinels and their creation backdrop would have been much better with modern CGI, Gambit, adult (hotter Rogue) all missing too, but they dropped it for this junk rehash. Where was the younger wolverine for all this time in this series reboot, would have been a lot more compelling.
X-Men anime in the 90s had a plethora of good stories and characters they could have used but avoided like a plague . .
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2428 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:56 am
Juggernaut and Firefist! :D :D :D

They need to abandon the comic stories and just come up with new ones that work for single movies. Sure, Dark Phoenix was a great story, but that's because people were invested the characters, having spent years with them, and there was time to let the story develop. As mentioned in the Chris Claremont documentary (now available at alternate internet distribution sites), X-Men was a comic book soap opera, and you can't do soap opera in a movie.
Definitely curious how the MCU will approach mutant integration.
I think I'd be annoyed if they opted to retcon mutants always being around (but never spoken of).
My guess - either a fresh start (something happens - world wide mutations), or perhaps the mutant universe will be separate, and only merge with MCU through a universe changing "Secret Wars" type story.
There are loads of possibilities.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18514 posts
1792 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 5:29 pm
Definitely curious how the MCU will approach mutant integration.
I think I'd be annoyed if they opted to retcon mutants always being around (but never spoken of).
My guess - either a fresh start (something happens - world wide mutations), or perhaps the mutant universe will be separate, and only merge with MCU through a universe changing "Secret Wars" type story.
There are loads of possibilities.
I hope it's a separate universe. Mutants never really made sense in Marvel comics anyways. They are hated by regular humans but other super-powered individuals like Spider-Man and the F4 as good?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6220 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
I've never really been fan of X-Men comics to begin with however when the cartoons and movies came out later it peaked my interest.
What could have been an amazing series of movies have always been underwhelming with the highlight being Jackman as Wolverine but that last one was too much swearing and garbage i thought.
This movie's highlight was the fight scene other than that really underwhelming.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2199 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I thought it was pretty good. No where near the great superhero movies, but by no means the dumpster-fire I was expecting, given all the hate. Maybe the hardcore MCU fanboys are just so into the idea of MCU mutants that they were basically going into the movie biased? Nothing survives a hostile viewing. X series always had good to great casting, and it's nice to see superheroes team vs supervillains team instead of superheroes vs one big bad + army of henchmen for a change. Even had some honest to goodness great moments too - Cyclops going 'I need you' to Storm, the 'walk to me' scene, etc. Honestly, Dark Phoenix is a great story, but not one particularly suited to movies to begin with since there's no real bad guy and hence very difficult to do the climax action set-piece for. And at least X series has never been shy about straight up killing off its characters, which lends it a degree of unpredictability from one movie to the next.

Now that it's over, kinda sad to see that out of the entire X series, only the original has had the OG team up moment between the core members. The rest have all been missing pieces.

Personally, I'd rather see Fox's X-men VS Disney's Avengers than just everything going into the MCU.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.