• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2016 9:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1472 posts
353 upvotes

Xbox One Elite Controller

To anybody that's picked up an Elite Controller (especially early adopters): Has the controller received any wear and tear?

Do you ever use the other longer analog sticks, or find a real benefit to the paddles? Basically... are the bells and whistles really worthwhile?
9 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3932 upvotes
Toronto
signore wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 7:52 pm
To anybody that's picked up an Elite Controller (especially early adopters): Has the controller received any wear and tear?

Do you ever use the other longer analog sticks, or find a real benefit to the paddles? Basically... are the bells and whistles really worthwhile?
i have it for 2 months now. love it. it's awesome. the extra paddles make all the difference. 2 months to soon, but no wear or tear.

the only thing that pissed me off is my rechargable xbox one controller batteries DONT FIT in the elite controller.. The elite has a different cover over the batteries, and doesn't close the same way.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1814 posts
571 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 11:58 pm
signore wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 7:52 pm

i have it for 2 months now. love it. it's awesome. the extra paddles make all the difference. 2 months to soon, but no wear or tear.

the only thing that pissed me off is my rechargable xbox one controller batteries DONT FIT in the elite controller.. The elite has a different cover over the batteries, and doesn't close the same way.
yeah, i made it work but it was very tight to fit it on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7071 posts
391 upvotes
Why not just use Eneloop rechargable batteries for it
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5140 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
I got mine last year around the time they launched. I traded in my day one XB1 for the Elite console for a few bucks less then the price of Elite controller itself.

I love it, honestly I cant play some games with out it!

The build quality is fantastic, the thing has a really nice weight and feel to it, the rubber grips are really nice and I haven't had any issues with it despite being fairly hard on my stuff. Ive had the peeling issue on the rubber grips of my PS4 controller and the joysticks have lost there clickiness on my Day one XB1 controllers.

Ive found a combination of joystick that feels the best, but I dont know if I just had a few good matchs well playing with that combo but I like the short joystick on the left and the medium on the right.

The paddles are the big deal here, they take some time to get used to and some re-application of your muscle memory but they make a world of difference in online multiplayer games. The biggest things for me is the ability to map things like jump/boost/reload in halo 5, Sprint/Cover/Change weapon in Gears, or Jump in Titanfall to a paddle keeps your fingers on the joysticks and gives you a lot more freedom and opens up your game a bit when playing these games. There are also a few characters in overwatch that I refuse to play if I dont have my paddles on such as Lucio and Pharah. Pharah is literally unplayable IMO without these paddles.
I simply wont play games like Halo or titanfall anymore without paddles on the controller.

I also like (but dont notice near as much) the trigger locks which means it registers a shot at half pull helping you shoot faster.

The "new" D-pad looks cool but feels like a huge downgrade for me in fighting games.

I use Duracell rechargeable in mine and I dont have any issues with fitting them in there.

I will say though, if you just plan to use it as a standard controller to play some SP games its a nice little upgrade over the regular controller but not worth the asking price. Especially since the latest XB1 controllers include those same grips and also offer blutooth functionality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1472 posts
353 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 9:45 am
I got mine last year around the time they launched. I traded in my day one XB1 for the Elite console for a few bucks less then the price of Elite controller itself.

I love it, honestly I cant play some games with out it!

The build quality is fantastic, the thing has a really nice weight and feel to it, the rubber grips are really nice and I haven't had any issues with it despite being fairly hard on my stuff. Ive had the peeling issue on the rubber grips of my PS4 controller and the joysticks have lost there clickiness on my Day one XB1 controllers.

Ive found a combination of joystick that feels the best, but I dont know if I just had a few good matchs well playing with that combo but I like the short joystick on the left and the medium on the right.

The paddles are the big deal here, they take some time to get used to and some re-application of your muscle memory but they make a world of difference in online multiplayer games. The biggest things for me is the ability to map things like jump/boost/reload in halo 5, Sprint/Cover/Change weapon in Gears, or Jump in Titanfall to a paddle keeps your fingers on the joysticks and gives you a lot more freedom and opens up your game a bit when playing these games. There are also a few characters in overwatch that I refuse to play if I dont have my paddles on such as Lucio and Pharah. Pharah is literally unplayable IMO without these paddles.
I simply wont play games like Halo or titanfall anymore without paddles on the controller.

I also like (but dont notice near as much) the trigger locks which means it registers a shot at half pull helping you shoot faster.

The "new" D-pad looks cool but feels like a huge downgrade for me in fighting games.

I use Duracell rechargeable in mine and I dont have any issues with fitting them in there.

I will say though, if you just plan to use it as a standard controller to play some SP games its a nice little upgrade over the regular controller but not worth the asking price. Especially since the latest XB1 controllers include those same grips and also offer blutooth functionality.
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it. I do mainly play SP games, and so that's always been my resistance here. Not to say I wouldn't play Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Gears 4... but I rarely stick around too long for the MP.

What about racing or sports games? Do the paddles add any real improvement to the experience?

EDIT: just picked it up off amazon.ca as they have it discounted to the original $169 price point.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2060 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Gunz13 wrote:Why not just get a scuf controller?
Then I'd have to get a scuf for both PS4 and Xbox One. Elite is considered (from what I read) one of the best controllers out there now so it would be great to just use it for both consoles.
Sharks316 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 1:03 am
Never knew a product like this existed. Thanks
Let us know your impressions if you get it!
My XBL/PSN: evilenger