Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: XBOX One Titanfall bundle $499

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2014 2:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
I dunno why people keep touting 3 million sold as great numbers. It was because of the hype machine. Wii-u sold that much by this point too. There were a number of people who needed to have it day 1. But now the xbone is literally trailing the PS3.... Nevermind the 4!

Good move by MS to bundle Titanfall but I see kinect coming to an end and a drop to $350 in the next year. You don't even need a kinect to use most of the cool features... Just a $2 microphone for voice commands.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
It's great in absolute terms I think, if you just look at the number alone, by itself. Compared to Sony it's pretty much a disaster, almost half the numbers. So "relatively" speaking it's bad, on it's own it's pretty good. Hence the uber-early price cut and free game.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1334 posts
978 upvotes
Ottawa
I find the unrelated Borax in this thread somewhat entertaining, but let's not have it overshadow the OP's posted deal. $499 for an XBox One with Titanfall is a very nice deal, if you were thinking of picking one up.

For those that already have an XBox One (such as myself), don't cry about it, that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

And I'm all for a good console debate (this is probably the wrong forum for it mind you), but just one point, for the really aggressive PS4 supporters piping up in here... don't be too smug about whatever makes you smug about your choice in consoles (cheaper, RAM speed, resolution-gate, shooting little robots out of your controller, etc). Let's be honest, nobody can really brag too much about their shiny, new consoles yet as the games just aren't there yet on either one. Titanfall is a step in the right direction, as will be whatever Naughty Dog games are in the pipe for Playstation (I'll probably buy a PS4 when that happens). It could be easily argued that both consoles, right now, aren't good value at their respective prices of admission.

Is Titanfall going to be a big system seller, or is it "The Most Anticipated Game of 2014"? Who cares? The Titanfall Beta was fun, so horay for fun! I'll be happy to shell out the $60 for it when it comes out.

"Prepare for Titanfall!" PEW PEW!
Nov 25, 2002
468 posts
55 upvotes
There may be more to this promo than all the usual OMG MS is fearing the loss of the console wars. It could be that, or it could be a brilliant move by Microsoft to bundle in one of the most anticipated games on the XBO. If you were MS, why wouldn't you bundle in Titanfall with the console? It will move consoles (hopefully), and it would mean people who buy this will have to subscribe to Live to keep playing. Isn't THAT where the money is? Live subscriptions I believe is where all the revenues will come for MS, not selling the consoles itself. Sure, they could've dropped the price but why when they can just sweeten the deal by bundling in one hell of an online experience.
I'm sure by now, everyone on RFD and the gaming community is aware of the shortcomings of the XBO but you know what, who cares? It's the games that matter so to each their own. I hope for Microsoft's sake, they move a ton more consoles because of this promotion. It would only mean good things for current console owners as a larger install base would mean more potential for exclusives.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7966 upvotes
Scream fanboyism enough and people will forget how you're actually acting like a fanboy. Brilliant.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
aznrock2000 wrote: There may be more to this promo than all the usual OMG MS is fearing the loss of the console wars. It could be that, or it could be a brilliant move by Microsoft to bundle in one of the most anticipated games on the XBO. If you were MS, why wouldn't you bundle in Titanfall with the console? It will move consoles (hopefully), and it would mean people who buy this will have to subscribe to Live to keep playing. Isn't THAT where the money is? Live subscriptions I believe is where all the revenues will come for MS, not selling the consoles itself.
Exactly. They are too far behind right now (by almost half), so they need to do some drastic measures to try and catch up. Price cut was long called for, so I applaud them for trying to save their console.
aznrock2000 wrote: Sure, they could've dropped the price but why when they can just sweeten the deal by bundling in one hell of an online experience.
They did drop the price.

aznrock2000 wrote: I'm sure by now, everyone on RFD and the gaming community is aware of the shortcomings of the XBO but you know what, who cares? It's the games that matter so to each their own. I hope for Microsoft's sake, they move a ton more consoles because of this promotion. It would only mean good things for current console owners as a larger install base would mean more potential for exclusives.
That is actually not quite true, a larger install base doesn't guarantee exclusives at all, it's more a guarantee for third-party support. Exclusives are dependant on in-house first party developers. 360 had a huge install base during the first half of last gen before PS3 surpassed it, and yet it had the fewest full-fledged exclusives of all consoles. It was basically a machine that ran third-party software only, and what few exclusives it have were not in-house but were bought by third-party developers, which is why most of them ended up on PS3 anyway (Mass Effect, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, etc.). It was basically Halo, Gears, and Viva Pinata as a key titles.

Actually this lack of exclusives was the biggest reason 360 fell behind last gen, to last place globally. That's quite a feat, start with a year advantage and a huge market share lead, and to still fall to last place when the race is done. This was largely because of Microsoft's lack of any real in-house developers to compete with Sony or Nintendo (Viva Pinata is not going to hold up against Zelda or The Last of Us or Uncharted :lol: , nor will different releases of Halo), which caused a slow up-tick in people moving from 360 to PS3 (what happened to me personally as well).

This gen is looking worse, as MS has fewer in-house exclusives at launch, and is depending more on third-party paid exclusives. Selling off the developers of Killer Instinct to Amazon doesn't really assuage the continued concern that X1 could end up like 360, a machine that only plays third-party titles, except this time at a distinctly lower graphical quality.
Dec 3, 2003
427 posts
47 upvotes
TheBatManRising wrote: Exactly. They are too far behind right now (by almost half), so they need to do some drastic measures to try and catch up. Price cut was long called for, so I applaud them for trying to save their console.

They did drop the price.

That is actually not quite true, a larger install base doesn't guarantee exclusives at all, it's more a guarantee for third-party support. Exclusives are dependant on in-house first party developers. 360 had a huge install base during the first half of last gen before PS3 surpassed it, and yet it had the fewest full-fledged exclusives of all consoles. It was basically a machine that ran third-party software only, and what few exclusives it had were not in-house but were bought by third-party developers, which is why most of them ended up on PS3 anyway (Mass Effect, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, etc.). It was basically Halo, Gears, and Viva Pinata as a key titles.

Actually this lack of exclusives was the biggest reason 360 fell behind last gen, to last place globally. That's quite a feat, start with a year advantage and a huge market share lead, and to still fall to last place when the race is done. This was largely because of Microsoft's lack of any real in-house developers to compete with Sony or Nintendo (Viva Pinata is not going to hold up against Zelda or The Last of Us or Uncharted :lol: , nor will different releases of Halo), which caused a slow up-tick in people moving from 360 to PS3 (what happened to me personally as well).

This gen is looking worse, as MS has fewer in-house exclusives at launch, and is depending more on third-party paid exclusives. Selling off the developers of Killer Instinct to Amazon doesn't really assuage the continued concern that X1 could end up like 360, a machine that only plays third-party titles, except this time at a distinctly lower graphical quality.
You are a Troll.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
TheBatManRising wrote: Actually this lack of exclusives was the biggest reason 360 fell behind last gen, to last place globally. That's quite a feat, start with a year advantage and a huge market share lead, and to still fall to last place when the race is done. This was largely because of Microsoft's lack of any real in-house developers to compete with Sony or Nintendo (Viva Pinata is not going to hold up against Zelda or The Last of Us or Uncharted :lol: , nor will different releases of Halo), which caused a slow up-tick in people moving from 360 to PS3 (what happened to me personally as well).

Same story for me. I got 360 at launch, loved it for the first couple of years. But then PS3 kept getting the exclusive stuff, so I finally gave up and bought it lol. I still have 360 but it only got touched occasionally.

Microsoft needs to invest in Rare and make them do something better than Viva Pinata. Imagine a Perfect Dark launch with X1 :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)