• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2017 10:37 pm
Tags:
Nov 23, 2016
121 posts
90 upvotes
London

Xbox One vs Xbox One S

EB Games currently has a deal where you can trade in your original working Xbox One and pay $100 for an Xbox One S.

Anyone with experience with both, is this worth it? You have to trade in your controller too, so it's not like you get a free controller out of it, though you do get the free game in the bundle. Also, it only applies to the 500GB Xbox One S model; you have to pay the difference if you want the 1TB. Luckily I have the 500GB original XB1 so I wouldn't be downgrading...

Thoughts?

EDIT: I do have a 4K TV so that element does apply to me.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
For the $100 upgrade, I feel it's worth it. I ended up trading mine in last year for a lot more. Assuming you have an older controller the newer one has 3.5mm audio jacket and bluetooth support meaning you don't need a separate adapter for PC with bluetooth. Other benefits are that it's quieter, smaller form factor, no power brick, 4k bluray player, and support netflix 4k. In terms of graphics no difference for me because my 4k tv doesn't support HDR. Do you have a Kinect? make sure to register with microsoft to get a free adapter for the slim.
Nov 23, 2016
121 posts
90 upvotes
London
I do have a Kinect. Thank you for the opinion, I will likely do this then.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
Make sure to register your current xbox and kinect through microsoft. Once you get your new xbox s slim register it and then contact ms support for the adapter.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
OP if you have a 4k TV what you're really going to want is the Xbox One X. It should be out around Christmas. True 4k gaming. The first console able to do it. Seems foolish to upgrade now if you're only going to want something better in 5 months or so. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Nov 23, 2016
121 posts
90 upvotes
London
Yeah, I'm not planning on buying the X immediately on launch. My Xbox is secondary for my gaming (mainly PC) but IMO this deal was too hard to pass on, considering 4K Blu-Ray players still retail for $300+ regular price.
Jun 13, 2015
161 posts
77 upvotes
L'Assomption
Same for me. Traded my OG one at eb games yesterday. Want an X, but will hold off to buy at launch because of furniture to pay. The 4k player and new warranty plus the movie and extra controller for free sealed the deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
seems like a no-brainer if you're like me and still prefer physical media for the best picture/sound quality

though I'm told the UHD blu-ray on the One S is garbage...not sure maybe look into it and report back, because I want the One X lol

which is a shame because the PS3 was considered the best blu-ray player until the 2010s.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 10, 2013
346 posts
513 upvotes
Didn't even care about the benefits. This trade in promo to me is an insurance policy. I had a release date Xbox One that could die on me tomorrow for all we know so to get this trade done practically for free (once you value the controllers/FH3/Fast 8 Bluray) would be better. I know my One S has one years worth of warranty and I can reasonably expect 5-7 of life out of it whereas my original model could blow up tomorrow. Don't want your console to die tomorrow, worth nothing then drop $350 on the replacement without the mentioned controller/Bluray.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
lol it's a gaming console that's not made with Pb soldered PCB....i think your RROD fears are a bit blown out of proportion.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
clim88 wrote: EB Games currently has a deal where you can trade in your original working Xbox One and pay $100 for an Xbox One S.

Anyone with experience with both, is this worth it? You have to trade in your controller too, so it's not like you get a free controller out of it, though you do get the free game in the bundle. Also, it only applies to the 500GB Xbox One S model; you have to pay the difference if you want the 1TB. Luckily I have the 500GB original XB1 so I wouldn't be downgrading...

Thoughts?

EDIT: I do have a 4K TV so that element does apply to me.
I was hesitant to pull the trigger at first because I have an Elite XBox One (1TB hybrid drive) but ended up doing it because the S form factor is so much smaller and sleeker, plus the controller is much better than the regular controller (I obviously kept the Elite controller).

If you can still get it with the Forza, F8 and extra controller bundle, then it's a no brainer as the extra stuff you get pays for itself basically. I have no regrets.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Nov 23, 2016
121 posts
90 upvotes
London
Yeah agreed. They wanted an extra $100 for the 1TB bundles, but Best Buy has a 3TB external on sale for $100 right now, so it's hardly worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I did a trade in similar to this last year (actually I think I ended up paying 75$ and got 3 free games and didnt have to give up a controller).

The upgrade is worth it, the form factor is much nicer and way more convenient to move around and travel with thanks to its small size and lack of power brick. If you have a 4K TV the upgrade to a 4K blu-ray player, UHD Netflix and the addition of HDR are great and totally worth it.

There is also a small uptick in framerates/dynamic resolutions but I cant say I've ever been able to tell any sort of difference.

Overall I think if you can take advantage of this deal if you can, even if you dont care about this things featured above as others mentioned you do get an additional year on your warranty.
Nov 23, 2016
121 posts
90 upvotes
London
Spicy McHaggis, one hell of a guy.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I did a trade in similar to this last year (actually I think I ended up paying 75$ and got 3 free games and didnt have to give up a controller).

The upgrade is worth it, the form factor is much nicer and way more convenient to move around and travel with thanks to its small size and lack of power brick. If you have a 4K TV the upgrade to a 4K blu-ray player, UHD Netflix and the addition of HDR are great and totally worth it.

There is also a small uptick in framerates/dynamic resolutions but I cant say I've ever been able to tell any sort of difference.

Overall I think if you can take advantage of this deal if you can, even if you dont care about this things featured above as others mentioned you do get an additional year on your warranty.
Not to mention also a better chance of trading the Xbox One S for the Xbox One X when promo's come up in the fall/winter.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
Still debating whether I should trade in my COD edition 1TB XB1. I have a 1TB one S from last year‘s deal and I want to replace this one as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
I have the Xbox One S but I also have a 4k tv so it made sense. Traded in my original xbox for it. No regrets.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: I have the Xbox One S but I also have a 4k tv so it made sense. Traded in my original xbox for it. No regrets.
I ran out of ports on my 4K set. Will have to figure something out when the X comes out. Maybe a switch if any pass the HDR. Few do at this point. I want to keep my Panasonic 4K UHD player on the port that supports HDR but the TV I have only allows HDR on one port. Now all we need is some actual 4K HDR enabled games...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)