Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Xbox One X Pre-Order (Project Scorpio Limited Edition)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2017 5:31 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1329 posts
360 upvotes
ian6502 wrote: Thank you strippedaway, I don't/didn't see any option to pre-order online though. When I called the store on Sunday, they said I could pre-order in store with 50 down.
For what it's worth, I checked my credit card this morning and there is a pending charge of "$0.00" from EBGAMES. So as I initially suspected it doesn't look like they charge for the system right away - probably not till shipping. And all you have to do to preorder is add the item the system to your cart and check out when they are back in stock.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
strippedaway wrote: For what it's worth, I checked my credit card this morning and there is a pending charge of "$0.00" from EBGAMES. So as I initially suspected it doesn't look like they charge for the system right away - probably not till shipping. And all you have to do to preorder is add the item the system to your cart and check out when they are back in stock.
EB doesn't charge for pre orders till it ships
Deal Addict
May 14, 2002
1975 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
vonblock wrote: Not for video game.

4k gaming make aliasing a thing of the past. The blurry foliage, shadows and surface are also non existent.

Of course, I game quite close from my TV, maybe 6 feet.

For movies, it's quite different and it's true that 4k is not really useful.

Think of it like a Pixar's movies. They are internally rendered at 8k and than, downsampled at 1080P. This is necessary, otherwise, the movies would look aliased and blurry.
I could not tell you reliably if it was 4k or 1080p. I had to pull up screen resolution to see that I was actually in 4k. On good TVs the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as with HDR vs not HDR. HDR is obvious, 4k is not at all obvious (this is on 65" Quantum dot tv).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
vladislav wrote: I could not tell you reliably if it was 4k or 1080p. I had to pull up screen resolution to see that I was actually in 4k. On good TVs the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as with HDR vs not HDR. HDR is obvious, 4k is not at all obvious (this is on 65" Quantum dot tv).
You really talking about video game? Not movies?

You can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p in a blink of an eye?

At what distance are you viewing your TV?

What game did you try?

What GPU do you have?

I consider having a good HDR TV. I have an OLED which win all TV shootout this year for HDR performance.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2002
1975 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
vonblock wrote: You really talking about video game? Not movies?

You can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p in a blink of an eye?

At what distance are you viewing your TV?

What game did you try?

I consider having a good HDR TV. I have an OLED which win all TV shootout this year for HDR performance.
I would say about 6 - 8 feet. Tried Mass Effect Andromeda and Just Cause 3. I am sure I could tell if I had 2 TVs and compared them side by side but after getting ps4 pro and starting them up on a new system nothing was obvious. I'm sure it's nicer but these games already looked fantastic. Making them a bit more sharp is not going to make a huge visual impact. Especially with how good upscaling is nowadays. Additional effects make much more of an impact vs straight screen resolution.
Oct 25, 2008
635 posts
621 upvotes
Montreal
9394 wrote: So just to be clear, Project Scorpio Edition comes with:
- special packaging
- gfx pattern on the console
- Project Scorpio branding on console and controller
- vertical stand

I really wish MS included an Elite controller with this edition (maybe make it $649?).
Fully agree, its a shame to shell out this cash and it not come with the elite controller
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
vladislav wrote: I would say about 6 - 8 feet. Tried Mass Effect Andromeda and Just Cause 3. I am sure I could tell if I had 2 TVs and compared them side by side but after getting ps4 pro and starting them up on a new system nothing was obvious. I'm sure it's nicer but these games already looked fantastic. Making them a bit more sharp is not going to make a huge visual impact. Especially with how good upscaling is nowadays. Additional effects make much more of an impact vs straight screen resolution.
Oh ok.

You're talking about PS4 pro.

Yeah you're right, from the 4k video I saw, the difference is not great. For some game like tomb raider it's quite bad. Only Sony IP look really great.

But this is not true 4k gaming. Checkerboard can look great, but it's nowhere near true 4k.

There's some exception, Horizon zero look fantastic on PS4 pro.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
I think you are mistaking resolution with things like AA, texture filtering, texture resolution, etc.

Just increasing resolution has very little effect on how a game actually looks. Take a screenshot of a game at 1080p and 4k at identical settings and then compare side by side. The difference is not much.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Viper98 wrote: I think you are mistaking resolution with things like AA, texture filtering, texture resolution, etc.

Just increasing resolution has very little effect on how a game actually looks. Take a screenshot of a game at 1080p and 4k at identical settings and then compare side by side. The difference is not much.
I did the test for most game, just switching resolution from 1080p to 1440p to 4k. My GTX 1070 is plugged in my OLED TV and my sofa is about 6 feet from the TV. Not changing anything but resolution.

Resolution make an incredible difference, if of course you game not too far from the TV.

I never was blown away that much since a long time.
For me it's a new revolution in game industry, plain simple. HDR is great too, don't get me wrong.

Again this is only true for video game. For me in movies the difference are minimal.

Anyway, I realise that it's my opinion. I always were really sensible to aliasing and blockiness.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
3267 posts
6459 upvotes
London, Ontario
For a limited edition it looks pretty plain. They should have put a neon green scorpion on the console. It would have looked awesome!
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
SoldierZeroB wrote: For a limited edition it looks pretty plain. They should have put a neon green scorpion on the console. It would have looked awesome!
I feel like that would have gone over really poorly with most people

The sleek fade that they added to the scorpio edition looks super classy
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
3267 posts
6459 upvotes
London, Ontario
Viper98 wrote: I feel like that would have gone over really poorly with most people

The sleek fade that they added to the scorpio edition looks super classy
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Glad you like it!
Oct 27, 2016
81 posts
98 upvotes
I feel that it is the "Less is more" sorta thing. They should have just called it the Xbox Scorpio, although it wouldn't have lended it self to marketing very well as the general public would see it as a new console with backwards compatibility and have no exclusives etc. (that is a current problem either way though).

I was stupid and traded my XBS 2TB a day before the announced pre-orders so I lost the additional taxes, but then found I still had $30 or so on an EB gift card
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
So coulis rift is supported by xbox project Scorpio?

If yes, people don't need to spend so much money to buy PC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
anotherbargainhunter wrote: So coulis rift is supported by xbox project Scorpio?

If yes, people don't need to spend so much money to buy PC.
People pay for PC gaming for a lot of reasons.

VR gaming is probably not a really important one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
SoldierZeroB wrote: For a limited edition it looks pretty plain. They should have put a neon green scorpion on the console. It would have looked awesome!
Microsoft is simply using terminology gamers understand. The meaning of "Limited" has decreased in value significantly.

These days, gamers are more careful of pre-ordering anything called Standard Edition. The game has an extra or box cover art, it's considered "limited."

Limited
Deluxe
Ultimate
Founder's
... anything to create a sense of urgency and uniqueness.

Given Microsoft's experience with hardware launches, does anyone actually think the Xbox One X won't be available on day one?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2228 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Spinner wrote: Microsoft is simply using terminology gamers understand. The meaning of "Limited" has decreased in value significantly.

These days, gamers are more careful of pre-ordering anything called Standard Edition. The game has an extra or box cover art, it's considered "limited."

Limited
Deluxe
Ultimate
Founder's
... anything to create a sense of urgency and uniqueness.

Given Microsoft's experience with hardware launches, does anyone actually think the Xbox One X won't be available on day one?
No, this isn't Nintendo; MS has a strong supply chain and they don't artificially hold back inventory to create hype. I bought the Xbox One and PS4 at launch and neither were hard to find (though I preordered both). I also preordered the One S and PS4 pro and had both at launch, and neither were difficult to find. The Xbox One X won't be any different and should be a breeze to get, it just may not be the limited edition any more.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Well me too. I can easily live without HDR on game, but turning the resolution to 1080P. Good Lord, it would look horrible compared to 4k.

The Xbox one X will be a great console. I will not buy it, but I'm happy true 4k gaming get adopted by the mass.
LOL and you think Ellesmere XTX with 6 TFLOPs is going to do true 4K gaming? Good luck with that. Because trust me they're definitely going to use upscaling, [effectively] lowered settings, 30FPS, and other tricks to get it there with modern high-demand games. GPU is faster than a RX 480/580, but only by a small margin (XTX v. XT). There's nothing wrong with Ellesmere and it's really quite impressive they managed to get an XTX version for the Xbone considering no such iteration exists in consumer graphics cards, but It's still nowhere even close to the likes of a standard GTX 1080, and even that is not spectacular for "true 4K" gaming.

HDR is indeed going to be more of a feature for it than the untrue 4K gaming it will have. For gameplay it certainly should be the best looking/performing console out there, no doubt. It also has the benefit of avoiding the ridiculous price levels of PC videocards--$600 for something that has a GPU faster than an RX 580 (which goes for like $400+ still :rolleyes: ), plus has UHD BD capability, plus gets console exclusives, plus has a very small footprint...all equals a pretty good bargain relatively speaking. But as impressive as it is, "true 4K gaming" it won't be, sorry.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
Eluder wrote: No, this isn't Nintendo; MS has a strong supply chain and they don't artificially hold back inventory to create hype. I bought the Xbox One and PS4 at launch and neither were hard to find (though I preordered both). I also preordered the One S and PS4 pro and had both at launch, and neither were difficult to find. The Xbox One X won't be any different and should be a breeze to get, it just may not be the limited edition any more.
If you read my comment carefully, I'm not doubting the availability of Xbox One X on day one. I agree it will be widely available.

I'm saying is the Scorpio Edition badge creates a sense of urgency with the pre-order customers. This is especially true in today's world when Battlefield and Battlefront pre-orders are all "limited" or "deluxe" editions with little additional value added. Microsoft speaks the same language by putting on their website "Get it before it's gone forever."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)