• Jun 7th, 2016 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
BongoBong wrote: Ahhh the article states it has pics of base building but I am not seeing any. Will be interesting to see what they do for the base building
I think by base building they meant base management. The same sort of thing they had in EU.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Looks like they're going more realistic and less cartoon on the character designs this time around. They did state that for the last game they deliberately designed the humans and aliens to look like toy action figures.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Jake Solomon and his team at Firaxis did an incredible job with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, bringing Julian Gallop’s classic strategy game back to life
I don't know about that quote from the article. I liked Enemy Unknown, but compared to the original they cut a lot of stuff out.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Ascott wrote: I don't know about that quote from the article. I liked Enemy Unknown, but compared to the original they cut a lot of stuff out.
Regardless, the game was a huge success imo.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Ascott wrote: I don't know about that quote from the article. I liked Enemy Unknown, but compared to the original they cut a lot of stuff out.
Compared to the original, the newly relaunched series has fewer features and is relatively dumbed down and more simplified... which isn't necessarily a bad thing as the first two games, UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep were notoriously unforgiving with very steep difficulty curves.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
LEXX911 wrote: So I guessed this is Dr Shen's daughter. So what happen to Dr. Vahlen? Could she be working for ADVENT?

[IMG]http://im.ziffdavisinternational.com/t/ ... g.1920.jpg[/IMG]

The base building looks like it may be slightly less in depth where you don't choose what to build and where, but reclaim predetermined rooms in the ship.

The world map/strategic side of things looks like it could be pretty interesting this time around which is nice as it was a bit lacking before I thought.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I would comment that some of the stuff they cut out (stances for example) were fine in terms of streamlining but I agree that the sequel lacks the depth of the original, there were a few features I really missed. Inventory management within mission, TUs and disembarking should've stayed in. Multiple bases I could go either way on.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
Redmask wrote: I would comment that some of the stuff they cut out (stances for example) were fine in terms of streamlining but I agree that the sequel lacks the depth of the original, there were a few features I really missed. Inventory management within mission, TUs and disembarking should've stayed in. Multiple bases I could go either way on.
I don't mind most of what they did with the combat gameplay. TU's and inventory management were great in the originals but the way they did the new ones I find fine as well. For me, my biggest complaint with the combat part of the games was premade maps and no procedural generation, which should be better this time around, and the alien's scattering when coming into view.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Yeah the balance of the game was really weird, they almost needed the enemy to do that otherwise you would just annihilate them all. It was frustrating taking your time moving your squad methodically and then the enemy gets an entire free turn while you sit there and twiddle your thumbs. It made running and gunning with bait more of an effective strategy than it should've been.

I forgot about the static maps, good point there.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I think they've addressed the static map issues in Enemy Unknown but still it was pretty repetitive. Procedural map generation would have been a great thing in that game, not to mention adding replay value.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1597 posts
4147 upvotes
12-minute gameplay video.

"They're waiting for you Gordon...in the Test Chamber."
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Totally loving it so far. Can't come soon enough! Love the new music theme with a bit of Mass Effect sound in there. Just perfect for my Mass Effect Mods. LOL.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
XCOM 2 is delayed until February

[QUOTE]"We’ve set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game," the studio wrote. "With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you."[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003925 ... large.jpeg[/IMG]

Disappointed but I'm glad that they aren't to go rush it out like most games nowadays that are so damn buggy and disappointing.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1597 posts
4147 upvotes
PS4 and Xbox One versions launching September 6.
"They're waiting for you Gordon...in the Test Chamber."
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Wonder why they're bothering. The last game sold horribly on console.