Xenon headlights vs Navigation on 2013 Mercedes C300

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2017 8:29 pm
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
41 posts
12 upvotes

Xenon headlights vs Navigation on 2013 Mercedes C300

So I'm currently looking at a Mercedes C300 with 61000 km on it with a price of 21000$. The dealership has two models of the car, both nearly identical. The only difference is that one comes with in-board navigation, and the other has Xenon headlights. I'm not sure which to get, since I really want navigation but I know that updating the GPS is gonna cost a fortune at Mercedes. I just want to know which one you would pick and why. Also, would it be possible to install Xenon headlights at a later date if I do take the one with navigation? How much would Mercedes charge me, and how much would it cost to do it myself?
Last edited by EehamK247411 on Nov 3rd, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Need help on this decision!
45 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
I would go with the bixenon one. Given, it would have costs you lots of inconvenience to retrofit from halogen to bixenon.
for the aftermarket maps, so many low cost alternatives out there which would cost like a couple hundreds $.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2031 posts
575 upvotes
m4r 1k8
xenon no point on using factory nav when you have waze lol ...
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
41 posts
12 upvotes
By aftermarket maps, do you mean getting a stand-alone GPS? Like a Garmin or something?
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
425 upvotes
GTA
Just keep looking until you find one with both. Buying a higher end car without either one is kind of silly IMO.
Last edited by brutus99 on Nov 3rd, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Go with the lights. For maps, I just use google maps on a phone holder in the vents. Plus if you drive probably don't need a map in the city.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
41 posts
12 upvotes
Couldn't I install LED lights later on by myself? I just watched a video of it being done and doesn't seem to difficult either. This is my first car, so I'm kinda on a budget tbh, so finding a car with both the nav and the xenon headlights may prove to be very difficult.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
ed116 wrote: xenon no point on using factory nav when you have waze lol ...
+1, build in Nav sucks, use Waze. Xenons are awesome.
EehamK247411 wrote: Couldn't I install LED lights later on by myself? I just watched a video of it being done and doesn't seem to difficult either. This is my first car, so I'm kinda on a budget tbh, so finding a car with both the nav and the xenon headlights may prove to be very difficult.
Putting HID or LEDs into reflector housings will look like garbage and everyone will hate you from the glare.
Last edited by engineered on Nov 3rd, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
EehamK247411 wrote: Couldn't I install LED lights later on by myself? I just watched a video of it being done and doesn't seem to difficult either. This is my first car, so I'm kinda on a budget tbh, so finding a car with both the nav and the xenon headlights may prove to be very difficult.
I would say get the xenon lights package, because I have a 2013 C300 myself and got the one with Navi..and honestly have never used the navigation function in my car EVER! To update the maps MB wants $250 plus taxes (forget that!) To install Xenon lights after purchase of car your looking at at least $800 per headlight. So I'm stuck with a useless Navi and regular halogen lights (but thinking about changing the light bulbs to white/blue to make it look classier..lol)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Forget factory NAV.
Shit is useless after the first year, as new updates cost the same as a standalone unit; that has free lifetime maps!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13164 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Get the bi-xenons! A recent Mercedes with just halogen lights is just wrong, when even the Corolla has standard LED lights.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
EehamK247411 wrote: Couldn't I install LED lights later on by myself? I just watched a video of it being done and doesn't seem to difficult either...

Those aftermarket drop in LED kits are horrible. They overheat and the lights go very faint (too hot). Not cool when driving in the country on a dark night
Last edited by l69norm on Nov 3rd, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
My daily driver has no Navi with HID. Once a year, I need nav but I make due. I wish I had bought it for $4k 15 years back for the looks.

Other car has both Navi and LED. Haven't use the Navi yet since I bought it year ago but LED looks great, must have imo.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1203 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
The MB navigation and user interface in MB cars is absolute garbage anyway so if you're leaning towards either of those go with the xenon lights. For navigation just get a cellphone holder and use google maps. We don't even bother trying to use the nav in my wife's Benz she just uses her phone.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
Xenons and forget the nav.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
Does a factory nav get real time traffic updates like Waze or Google Maps?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
peteryorkuca wrote: My daily driver has no Navi with HID. Once a year, I need nav but I make due. I wish I had bought it for $4k 15 years back for the looks.

Other car has both Navi and LED. Haven't use the Navi yet since I bought it year ago but LED looks great, must have imo.
You wish you had dropped $4k for an out of date navi? I don't get that, but to each their own. Even new navi's often look like tacked on tablets. Most navi's look out of date after a few years and aren't as nice to use as your phone with Waze. New navs with Android Auto/Apple Carplay are a different story.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)