Xiaomi may purchase GoPro

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2018 2:51 pm
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7241 posts
1216 upvotes
Read a few of these article from photography sites and most of them failed to mention that a good part of the reason for the fall of GoPro came directly from one competitor - YI line of action camera. Yi was able to catch up with simialr spec and output as the GoPro equivalent but cost less and Xiaomi was a major distributor of those YI camera.

It would be interesting to see what Xiaomi would do with YI and GoPro.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8762 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:39 am
Read a few of these article from photography sites and most of them failed to mention that a good part of the reason for the fall of GoPro came directly from one competitor - YI line of action camera. Yi was able to catch up with simialr spec and output as the GoPro equivalent but cost less and Xiaomi was a major distributor of those YI camera.

That's what happens when you decide that your brand is so popular that you will charge a crap ton extra just for your name.

I knew someone that had a GoPro and although it's cool how small they are, I wasn't overly impressed to be honest, all the demos you see in stores are nice and all but those are under perfect conditions for those cameras (and they boost up the colours like stores do on tv displays to make them stand out more).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8762 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:39 am

They will destroy the competition is my guess.

I have the Yi Dashcam and I got it for only $50 on sale via a link that popped up on RFD (I think the site was called Cafago). So far it has outdone the blackvue camera setup I had before in so many ways I don't even know where to begin other than it completely destroys the image quality of the blackvue. Saying that it is a night and day difference would be an understatement.

My blackvue broke 2 days after the warranty and they couldn't have cared any less. Will never purchase from that company again... ever.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
370 upvotes
i'm surprised xiaomi has the resources to buy gopro

I've already ranted enough about them before, but let's just say gopro wont' be missed, like blockbuster, like futureshop....I have no empathy for entities that become complacent...they haven't been relevant since 2014 Hero4 Black
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2606 posts
458 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 5:13 am
i'm surprised xiaomi has the resources to buy gopro

I've already ranted enough about them before, but let's just say gopro wont' be missed, like blockbuster, like futureshop....I have no empathy for entities that become complacent...they haven't been relevant since 2014 Hero4 Black
Xiaomi is worth over $46 billion, had Hugo Barra from Google help rapidly grow them past few years, and producing great quality products at thin profit margins.

They can do it :)

Companies like Go Pro just had limited growth in an oversaturated market, it was bound to happen.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
370 upvotes
unless they turned things around in recent quarters, I thought they were struggling because they were expanding into every market (cameras to batteries etc.) very rapidly at cutthroat prices
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7241 posts
1216 upvotes
They were, made 100 billion yuan ($15.8 billion USD) revenue in 2017 and projecting to be better in 2018.

They are gaining ground in the core cell phone sale but in other markets as well. I think their key is while the cell phone and other hardware prices are cutthroat, the prices of their online services and internationally products are not which they had expanded into since and those are their main money makers.
twitchyzero wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 1:25 pm
unless they turned things around in recent quarters, I thought they were struggling because they were expanding into every market (cameras to batteries etc.) very rapidly at cutthroat prices
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
370 upvotes
good for them to stay healthy while disrupting the market...i'm quite happy with my xiaomi products...probably the only big Chinese brand that I buy besides dji
you probably can't pay me to buy Oppo or Huawei
Russell wrote: