Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14540 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto

Xiaomi mi a1 thread

Please merge if it is redundant but the only thread I see is the one for people to purchase from AliExpress.

I've been playing with it for the last couple of days and doing my darndest not to scratch it until my case arrives.

Out of the box it was very quick and impressive. Having installed a few apps now I'm starting to notice some slow downs.

Let's hear the opinions from those who have had some on hand time with it. I briefly tried the Microsoft launcher and within it there was a double tap to lock the phone. So why doesn't it have double tap to wake? Small inconvenience but still disappointed it doesn't have it all the same. And qi charging came on a 2013 Nexus 7 and they can't even include it on this phone which is so close to being a 2018 phone. Are they purposely handicapping it so they can sell their more expensive phones?

Anyway let's talk shop and make this budget phone great.
40 replies
Mar 17, 2008
620 posts
153 upvotes
Great idea.

I've had this phone for 2 weeks to replace a Pixel OG that I lost (RIP) after only owning it for a few weeks (Telus deal). Currently living in a country with no 4G/LTE and I purchased it straight from an official Mi store with a 2 year warranty so risk/$ ratio was pretty low. Also to note is that I've been using my old Nexus 4 with a broken digitizer for most of the last year in between my G3 dying and loosing my new Pixel so my requirements might be lower than most people. For the price that I paid, I'm quite pleased with it overall.

I installed a Google Camera port to improve the main disadvantage of the phone. Results are adequate but please note that it requires a little bit of tinkering and it is not perfect so it might not be for everybody. Rest to be seen how easily I will be able to update to the new security patches while keeping ported Google Camera functional. Phone is using same 2 partition system as the Pixel and even on XDA, I don't find there's much reliable information on how to do things... Most probably because of the lack of NA users due to the lack of most NA LTE bands if I'm not mistaken. There might be more information on Russian, Chinese, etc. forums.

My first question to RFD, how should I proceed to update to the 2nd October security patch (75 MB) and the incoming November security patch? Here's what I've done to the phone:
Purchased phone running Sept security
Updated to Oct security patch (1GB) via OTA
Unlocked bootloader using Mi tool
Rooted with CF auto root
Added 1 line to buildprop (persist.camera.HAL3.enabled=1)
Installed ported Google camera apk (working)
Again conflicting information on XDA about the new OTA enabling camera2api by default on the Mi A1. Any experience with this?
Jan 12, 2008
829 posts
139 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:42 am
Please merge if it is redundant but the only thread I see is the one for people to purchase from AliExpress.

I've been playing with it for the last couple of days and doing my darndest not to scratch it until my case arrives.

Out of the box it was very quick and impressive. Having installed a few apps now I'm starting to notice some slow downs.

Let's hear the opinions from those who have had some on hand time with it. I briefly tried the Microsoft launcher and within it there was a double tap to lock the phone. So why doesn't it have double tap to wake? Small inconvenience but still disappointed it doesn't have it all the same. And qi charging came on a 2013 Nexus 7 and they can't even include it on this phone which is so close to being a 2018 phone. Are they purposely handicapping it so they can sell their more expensive phones?

Anyway let's talk shop and make this budget phone great.
Can lack of qi charging really be a con for this phone? Its a metal backed phone, its the same reason why the iphone 6/7 (that it pretty blatantly replicated) didn't have wireless charging until the 8/X when they re-introduced the glass back. The Nexus 7 had a polycarbonate back, which allows for wireless charging. So i would not construe this as handicapping.

I agree, double tap to wake is a software limitation to stock android, IIRC. I do dearly miss it, especially since the FP sensor is on the back and when using the phone on a desk.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14540 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto
thefeebster wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:57 am
Can lack of qi charging really be a con for this phone? Its a metal backed phone, its the same reason why the iphone 6/7 (that it pretty blatantly replicated) didn't have wireless charging until the 8/X when they re-introduced the glass back. The Nexus 7 had a polycarbonate back, which allows for wireless charging. So i would not construe this as handicapping.

I agree, double tap to wake is a software limitation to stock android, IIRC. I do dearly miss it, especially since the FP sensor is on the back and when using the phone on a desk.
I find the facial recognition to unlock completely a dud. I have not been able to get it to work once. As far as waking while using it on the desk you can disable lock while at home but you're still required to wake it via power button which defeats the purpose.

I didn't realize qi required glass or non-metalic. I'm considering aftermarket solution since I'm getting a case. My miniscule hands cannot hold this comfortably and I'm always afraid of dropping it. I try not to use the power button or volume as much as possible going on past experience these are the first components to wear out.
Jan 12, 2008
829 posts
139 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:53 am
I find the facial recognition to unlock completely a dud. I have not been able to get it to work once. As far as waking while using it on the desk you can disable lock while at home but you're still required to wake it via power button which defeats the purpose.
When i mean desk, its usually at work, so i would prefer the phone locked in that setting. But yeah, Double tap to wake really should be a feature in stock android, IMO. And looking at my overall time with the phone, my main issues/cons result from using Lineage and coming to Stock Android. Give me Double Tap and system profiles, i'd be an extremely happy camper. Even when i was on the Axon 7, i really missed the system profiles of my OPO. I tried app alternatives on the Axon and Mi A1 but there were never as simple or consistent as the built-in system profile automation.
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:53 am
My miniscule hands cannot hold this comfortably and I'm always afraid of dropping it. I try not to use the power button or volume as much as possible going on past experience these are the first components to wear out.
This is the life of metal unibody phones. I had similar struggles when i went from a moto G to an iphone 6. It was so light and slippery compared to a plastic phone. It is sort of dangerous when holding it, especially with dry hands. But using the Mi A1 naked since i got it, its been manageable most of the time. Still ordered a sandstone-type case because i really miss the OPO's sandstone back.

I think not using the power button or limiting its use seems a bit extreme; can't say i think of that when i use my phones and haven't had buttons break yet, fingers-crossed though.

But it has still been a very positive experience, as my first venture into Xiaomi hardware. I'm still surprised with the build quality; hopefully it is long-lasting. Really feels just as good as phones double its price.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1595 posts
440 upvotes
Near Toronto
Is there a root available yet where OTA updates still works?

I'd really like to run Xposed to add missing functions.
Sep 7, 2014
170 posts
142 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
I'm debating grabbing this phone when it drops in price a bit.

In the past I had the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013 tab and now I'm using the Lenovo Zuk Z2, with a custom Oreo ROM and it's amazing (despite still being in Alpha). Naturally, this phone speaks to me.

How is the real world performance of the SoC? I believe the Nexus 5 was a SD800 and the Mi A1 is a SD625? I feel like I've been spoiled by the SD820 in the Z2.

Does it feel snappy and fluid? Battery life?

I really like the Xiaomi's hardware efforts and with stock Android, seems like a perfect fit.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1595 posts
440 upvotes
Near Toronto
Is there a recommended screen protector? The one I bought just doesn't look and fit right.
Aug 9, 2012
107 posts
17 upvotes
ChippewaBarr wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:50 pm
I'm debating grabbing this phone when it drops in price a bit.

In the past I had the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013 tab and now I'm using the Lenovo Zuk Z2, with a custom Oreo ROM and it's amazing (despite still being in Alpha). Naturally, this phone speaks to me.

How is the real world performance of the SoC? I believe the Nexus 5 was a SD800 and the Mi A1 is a SD625? I feel like I've been spoiled by the SD820 in the Z2.

Does it feel snappy and fluid? Battery life?

I really like the Xiaomi's hardware efforts and with stock Android, seems like a perfect fit.
I just moved to the A1 from an LG G3. Not the newest phone, but quite capable for what I've been using it for. My perception of the reaction time is that the phone is quite good. Not noticing any lag switching between screens. I don't play many hardware intensive games, but performance for the ones I do play has been good (Dragon Soul, Homescapes).

I'm not a power user, but have been playing with it a lot the past day since it arrived. I've not toyed with much of anything to preserve battery life (except lower the brightness a bit), and I'm currently sitting at 47% battery. There was about an hour of usage last night before bed, then sleep for 7 hours, and another 5 hours of usage (some gaming, couple short phone calls, texting, paying some bills, toying with dual sim setup to see if I can get MMS working).

My phone's been switching back and forth between 3-4G since I got it (even dropped to 2G last night while downstairs at home). More so at home (rural area) than while I'm at work in town using fido for data. I don't recall my lg pad III switching out of LTE that often if ever in either area. I'm guessing my tablet must have been connecting on band 17 frequently instead of 4 or 7.
Images
  • Screenshot_20171117-133736.png
Aug 9, 2012
107 posts
17 upvotes
Anyone played much with the dual SIM setup? I can't seem to figure out a way to send/receive MMS on SIM 1 while data is set to SIM 2.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11479 posts
1113 upvotes
Kanata
PappaJ wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 12:46 pm
Anyone played much with the dual SIM setup? I can't seem to figure out a way to send/receive MMS on SIM 1 while data is set to SIM 2.
MMS needs data to work. Are both sims on fido's network? Or do you have a different provider for your phone/sms service and fido is the one you use for data?
Aug 9, 2012
107 posts
17 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:25 pm
MMS needs data to work. Are both sims on fido's network? Or do you have a different provider for your phone/sms service and fido is the one you use for data?
Yeah, they're on different networks. Koodo prepaid for calls/text and Fido for data. As soon as I configure the fido sim as the preferred for data, the menu option for apn for Koodo disappears completely. I was hoping there was some way to have it use Koodo for MMS without having to disable the fido sim. Out of curiosity, would this possibly work for two different subsidiaries of Rogers? Like if I had a Petro Can mobile sim for talk/text and Fido for data?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1595 posts
440 upvotes
Near Toronto
PappaJ wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 2:57 pm
Yeah, they're on different networks. Koodo prepaid for calls/text and Fido for data. As soon as I configure the fido sim as the preferred for data, the menu option for apn for Koodo disappears completely. I was hoping there was some way to have it use Koodo for MMS without having to disable the fido sim. Out of curiosity, would this possibly work for two different subsidiaries of Rogers? Like if I had a Petro Can mobile sim for talk/text and Fido for data?
No you can't do that. Your mms coming in on Koodo would have to use data from Koodo.

Just buy a $5 booster from Koodo and never use it. MMS needs data but doesn't count against your data.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11479 posts
1113 upvotes
Kanata
Ebeniz wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 3:17 pm
No you can't do that. Your mms coming in on Koodo would have to use data from Koodo.

Just buy a $5 booster from Koodo and never use it. MMS needs data but doesn't count against your data.
I wonder, if it is possible, to leave data on for the Koodo sim as well, but since there is no prepaid data available, it wouldn't be able to use any. This would theoretically allow for MMS to still come in? Something to test. I won't have a use for dual sim on my A1, when it arrives next week.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1595 posts
440 upvotes
Near Toronto
goofball wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 4:55 pm
I wonder, if it is possible, to leave data on for the Koodo sim as well, but since there is no prepaid data available, it wouldn't be able to use any. This would theoretically allow for MMS to still come in? Something to test. I won't have a use for dual sim on my A1, when it arrives next week.
No idea... Test it and less us know.