[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2152 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa

Xiaomi Mi Box - a good buy?

Hey all
looking to get a new media box for the father-in-law for Xmas... he has one of the crappy Amazon knock-off boxes right now. Looking for a more smooth, better supported box (Netflix, Kodi, Terrarium, etc) Is the Mi Box a good buy these days? i recall it had issues with HDCP and Netflix when it first came out. I'm okay that it doesn't have Ethernet, he doesn't have a drop where his TV is anyway.

My first choice would have been a Fire TV 2 as I have two and both are rock solid aside from the Amazon-heavy UI. However they're harder to come by now since being discontinued.
30 replies
Jul 11, 2017
47 posts
15 upvotes
I'd get the fire tv for ease of use. I have a the first fire tv and 2 mibox, I'm going to sell the mibox and get a new fire tv.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1168 posts
233 upvotes
Bella125 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:11 am
I'd get the fire tv for ease of use. I have a the first fire tv and 2 mibox, I'm going to sell the mibox and get a new fire tv.
I have FTV and Mi Box - I prefer the Mi Box over the FTV but find the performance of the FTV better than on Mi Box, especially when it comes to 4k.

Here is why I like the Mi Box better, some of this is particular to me of course.

-Android TV; I like the pure interface instead of the Amazon interface pushing all kinds of crap
-native android play store (for me I want SPMS/Kodi which is readily available and I don't need to sideload it, plus on FTV it won't show up in the main menu - if it did it would change things)
-native IR port on the front of the box; it's 2017 are we going backwards? I want 1 universal remote not 4; yes, there are workarounds on the FTV, but again a workaround; I don't have CEC on all the TVs
-although it doesn't have a hardwire RJ45, easily fixed with at $15 dongle
-finally, separate SPDIF out; FTV 4K got rid of this; too bad, that was the last straw for me to move off that platform

Look into things and see what is a show stopper for you. I don't run much 4k content, btw.

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2152 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks!

For 4k, he still has an older 1080p LCD so it should be fine performance wise I imagine.

Yeah on my 4k FTV I was concerned about no SPDIF, but I plug the HDMI into my TV and then SPDIF from my TV to my receiver, works well!
vodka wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:05 pm
I have FTV and Mi Box - I prefer the Mi Box over the FTV but find the performance of the FTV better than on Mi Box, especially when it comes to 4k.

Here is why I like the Mi Box better, some of this is particular to me of course.

-Android TV; I like the pure interface instead of the Amazon interface pushing all kinds of crap
-native android play store (for me I want SPMS/Kodi which is readily available and I don't need to sideload it, plus on FTV it won't show up in the main menu - if it did it would change things)
-native IR port on the front of the box; it's 2017 are we going backwards? I want 1 universal remote not 4; yes, there are workarounds on the FTV, but again a workaround; I don't have CEC on all the TVs
-although it doesn't have a hardwire RJ45, easily fixed with at $15 dongle
-finally, separate SPDIF out; FTV 4K got rid of this; too bad, that was the last straw for me to move off that platform

Look into things and see what is a show stopper for you. I don't run much 4k content, btw.

Cheers
Nov 23, 2008
299 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to piggyback this topic, but I was looking into getting a miBox as well, and I remember there being a topic about getting the correct version of the miBox? Like the US version versus an international version? Is that something to still keep in mind now?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7033 posts
943 upvotes
Winnipeg
Zewo wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:56 am
Sorry to piggyback this topic, but I was looking into getting a miBox as well, and I remember there being a topic about getting the correct version of the miBox? Like the US version versus an international version? Is that something to still keep in mind now?
the power adapter. So be sure to request the right one when ordering international version
Nov 7, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
YAS ! finally
but if you have a fire tv that you bought previously from the US - AMAZON does not support it - meaning you will not be able to use Amazon Prime Video ( was on the phone for 2hrs with them last night)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5261 posts
659 upvotes
I love my MI Box, but the lack of software support is really bugging me.

Both of my Nexus Players are running Android 8.0 and my MI Box is seemingly forever stuck at 6.0.

Other than that it is a nice box.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Mibox : buy it
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1035 posts
54 upvotes
Didn’t some Mi boxes have issues with Netflix or has that been fixed?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16614 posts
1033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
enigma54 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:58 pm
Didn’t some Mi boxes have issues with Netflix or has that been fixed?
It seems to depend on your TV. I have issues on my Haier and my MiBox. It will not go HDCP 2.2 compliant so it will not display 4K content. I've relegated it to my 1080P TV in the basement and my 4K set gets my FireTV instead. I wish the MiBox would work correctly but for me it doesn't.

I would think as long as you don't have a low end 4K TV you should be fine.