Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro post purchase discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 10:59 am
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
gekaizer wrote: Yikes, my fingerprint scanner stopped working :S it was working fine all this time. Anyone else have issues? I did update to MIUI Glboal 8.0 Stable 8.0.5.0.
Do you see the fingerprint option? I'm on global beta 6.9.29 so I don't know if 8.0.5.0 created any issue, I never received the update to 8.0.5.0 also (was running 8.0.2.0)
Mar 27, 2011
954 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote:
gekaizer wrote: Yikes, my fingerprint scanner stopped working :S it was working fine all this time. Anyone else have issues? I did update to MIUI Glboal 8.0 Stable 8.0.5.0.
Do you see the fingerprint option? I'm on global beta 6.9.29 so I don't know if 8.0.5.0 created any issue, I never received the update to 8.0.5.0 also (was running 8.0.2.0)
Yes, I see it but the reader itself isn't working because then I try to add a fingerint it's not detecting anything. :( oh man, I really liked this feature!
Mar 15, 2005
295 posts
94 upvotes
The_Guy222 wrote: I am going to check around and see if I can order the US adapter for USB from near the source, at Geekbuying or Aliexpress.

If they're not easily available, I'll have to see what I can buy domestically that I can plug it into. Don't want to use something incompatible.
I found this US charger at ******** http://www.********.com/batteries-charg ... 87710.html . It has the same output as the EU charger that you and I got. Seller claims Original. Reviews are good so I think it's legit.
Sep 25, 2009
152 posts
23 upvotes
glaecier wrote: How are you guys liking the phone? Would this phone be good for someone who came from Apple? (basically I don't know how roms work.. etc lol)
I have some iOS products, so I have a basis for comparison.

The UI of the Redmi Note 3 Pro is similar to iOS. I found myself naturally lapsing into iOS-like gestures, such as holding down on a menu icon to open up the ability to move it. I don't know if stock Android does that.

The UI (MIUI) seems to be designed as a copycat to iOS, with the intention of appealing to purchasers who cannot afford or access an iPhone, but want a similar UI experience.

It's no iphone, but MIUI makes the transition easier for an iOS user. I find MIUI more pleasant to look at than stock android.

It's more reasonable to compare MIUI on the Redmi Note 3 to its android competitors, which in some cases is probably stock android or something like Samsung touchwiz maybe running on a mid-level phone. Compared to some of its competitors, the Note 3 is probably a fast and smooth experience.

But it's not iOS and it's not an iPhone. Hardware-wise, the Redmi Note 3 does not feel as sturdy as any iPhone I've ever touched. The fit in the hand...well, clearly this is something Steve Jobs never went over. It's a good phablet, but Apple wouldn't have made something like this, IMO. I don't care, because I appreciate it on its own, and like the colour.

The screen is definitely not up to par with the latest Apple screens. Reminds me of previous generations, maybe the iPhone 4, but I'm no expert and this is entirely subjective.

Audio quality is not up to par with Apple. This can't replace an iPod touch in the way an iPhone does, in my opinion.

As an affordable phablet, it is fine. MIUI is smooth on this phone, and easy to use. Apps seem to install and operate just fine. Had no problems with signal. But it's not an iPhone 6S!
Jan 11, 2006
80 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Hello all, my phone tracking shows that it arrived in Canada on September 30. I do not have it yet and there is no tracking update. Is that possible? Who has ordered a note 3 with free shipping? What is your experience?
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Got mine with miui8 installed. No bloat wear. Finger print scanner froze up a little but seems to be OK. Maybe just a hiccup. Phone works great. I'm fairly happy knock on wood.
Sep 18, 2016
5 posts
2 upvotes
Gadgetguy wrote: Hello all, my phone tracking shows that it arrived in Canada on September 30. I do not have it yet and there is no tracking update. Is that possible? Who has ordered a note 3 with free shipping? What is your experience?
Got mine today, it also arrived in Canada on Sept 30 with singpost. There's no tracking once it gets to Canada. The phone seems great so far.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Great man. Everyone that saw it likes it. Only thing is the screen feels a bit thin so I'm debating on a screen protector and a case.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
JohnS821 wrote: Great man. Everyone that saw it likes it. Only thing is the screen feels a bit thin so I'm debating on a screen protector and a case.
I always put on a tempered glass protector, I didn't use it naked without a screen protector so I don't know how it felt without it.
As for case, I have the Amzer and it's a great case. Doesn't add alot of bulk, has cutouts for everything, and no interference with the fingerprint reader.
Jul 23, 2005
279 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I'm considering getting this for my daughter (12). Right now she's got an iphone 4s. Concern is will it run all the popular apps (insta,snapchat...) I don't see why not? Is it necessary to flash? I'm not averse to it but the least amount of tech support needed the better. And will it be an upgrade compared to the 4s?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
hwshi wrote: I'm considering getting this for my daughter (12). Right now she's got an iphone 4s. Concern is will it run all the popular apps (insta,snapchat...) I don't see why not? Is it necessary to flash? I'm not averse to it but the least amount of tech support needed the better. And will it be an upgrade compared to the 4s?
Sadly, the camera is about the same quality.
Otherwise, it would be an upgrade in all other respects. The 4s is old now.
Sep 25, 2009
152 posts
23 upvotes
goofball wrote:
The_Guy222 wrote: I am going to check around and see if I can order the US adapter for USB from near the source, at Geekbuying or Aliexpress.

If they're not easily available, I'll have to see what I can buy domestically that I can plug it into. Don't want to use something incompatible.
FWIW, I have never used the included charger. I have an Antec and a BB charger (Playbook) that I use that at work, and a blitzwolf that I use at home. They all work well, charge at around 2A.
Here's the charger I ordered:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01AVX ... UTF8&psc=1

It arrived on Friday. I'm going to plug the Xiaomi USB cord from the phone into this charger. Hope I bought the right one. It does up to 2.4 A.

Have a plug from Xiaomi on order, but it's going to take a while to arrive here.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
no issue with scanner, only issue is the LTE connection not possible, but the H+ connection I get is good enough that I don't feel like tampering with hardware driver code to force LTE connection
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I get the h+ sometimes. What does that mean anyway?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: I get the h+ sometimes. What does that mean anyway?
3g.

4g = LTE

Ive had no problems getting 4g with Bell in Alberta
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
No issues with the fingerprint scanner. Have you tried cleaning the sensor on the back? Sometimes gets gummed up with stuff or oil etc. I use a eyeglass cleaner and wipe it every once in a while if it fails to open sometimes.
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
On my note 3 pro international version, the fingerprint sensor doesn't work 1/10 times. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you fix it? It is on MIUI global 7.5./7.5.2.0 stable.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
liplip wrote: On my note 3 pro international version, the fingerprint sensor doesn't work 1/10 times. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you fix it? It is on MIUI global 7.5./7.5.2.0 stable.
Define "doesn't work" in more detail
Does it register that a fingerprint scan request was made?
Does it indicate an incorrect/unsuccessful scan was made?
It might vibrate when a scan attempt is done, does that happen?
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
goofball wrote:
liplip wrote: On my note 3 pro international version, the fingerprint sensor doesn't work 1/10 times. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you fix it? It is on MIUI global 7.5./7.5.2.0 stable.
Define "doesn't work" in more detail
Does it register that a fingerprint scan request was made?
Does it indicate an incorrect/unsuccessful scan was made?
It might vibrate when a scan attempt is done, does that happen?
No vibration happens. I can usually get it to work again by using the power button to turn on the screen, press the power button to shut off the screen and try the fingerprint sensor again. The sensor is not dirty as I've had the phone less than a week and has happened since day 1.
Jan 11, 2006
80 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Hi All,

after a lot of wait my International Bundle has arrived yesterday: now I try the unlocking (already got the authorization from Mi weeks ago - but the app does not go beyond 50% so far...)

For those who may be interested:
- the included case (transparent plastic cover; VERY cheap looking) fits, but as it was made for the smaller model it is quite streched out
- the included glass screenprotector also fits, but it does not cover the bottom 2mm of the screen

So far I like it it is fast, looks clean (need to get used to MIUI), fingerprint reader is very fast and accurate: I just need to find to root it so I can remove the useless or spyware apps....