• Mar 29th, 2017 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
318 replies
Dec 27, 2012
5 posts
2 upvotes
Copied from one of my posts on a different forum:

I was pretty torn between the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime as well. From my searches I see that the main differences between the two would be that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime has red leds, comes with a cheaper price, is able to upgrade internal storage with a tf card, and the battery is replaceable. However, the battery life is shorter at 3060mah versus the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime's 4000mah. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime comes with 3 GB of ram which is one extra gigabyte from the 2GB of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime. It also comes with an aluminium backplate and a fingerprint scanner. It is to be noted that the top and bottom strips of the phone is plastic but the main backplate is aluminium. The backplate is not removable and internal storage can not be upgraded (as far as I know). The phone also costs more. However, there is one major redeeming feature other than the ram and that is the front camera records in 1080p while the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime's front camera records at 720p. It is also to be noted that the phone has a better flash and possibly takes slightly better pictures. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 has a bluish white led. The two phones have the same cpu and gpu. However, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime's CPU is clocked at 2.2GHz while the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime's CPU is clocked at 2.0 GHz.

I would say that if you care for better external design, a newer model, would like quick access to your phone through a fingerprint scanner, longer battery life per charge, a better front camera, slightly better pictures (flash), more ram and white leds then get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. This will of course all cost you a bit extra.

On the other hand, the reason why I personally chose the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime is because I don't feel comfortable giving my fingerprint to my phone. I feel that the red led on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime is rather a little unique and looks cool. The backplate can always be replaced with a custom plate so I will not be limited to the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime's unremovable aluminium back cover. Also, it is important for me to be able to remove the backplate because I want upgradeable internal storage and if should the battery ever die on me then I know I can easily purchase a replacement battery. Also, you could always purchase multiple backup batteries on the cheap to extend the phone's battery life (approximately slightly above $7.00 per battery from what I'm currently seeing). I feel that I can live without 1080p front cameras since the back camera is already much better than the front camera in the first place. 720p front cameras would be absolutely sufficient for my needs to say make a Skype call on the go. The better flash is a factor depending on how good you want your photos to look but the cheaper price of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime kind of offsets that factor for me. The difference from what I hear is only very slight. 1GB less of ram would not break the deal for me either as from what I hear the phone already runs without lag so I would not be sure why I would need to pay extra for another gigabyte.

However, these are my personal needs only so the above should just be treated as some additional info to help you decide on what exactly you want to buy : )

For Unofficial International MIUI / Xiaomi Phone Support go to http://xiaomi.eu

Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum http://en.miui.com/forum.php

How to flash (Should probably be the same steps if you choose to get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime):
http://en.miui.com/thread-147927-1-1.html

Slightly more advanced flashing if you need it:
http://en.miui.com/thread-28640-1-1.html

Mi PC Suite: http://pcsuite.mi.com

Additional Info (that you might want to read before flashing so you can choose the most suitable ROM)
http://en.miui.com/thread-24860-1-1.html

Download latest ROMs for your device here: http://en.miui.com/download.html

Most likely you will want the Global version of the ROMs for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime
(For Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Prime: Global version has not yet been released. However, there are these which might be worth a try: http://en.miui.com/thread-208490-1-1.html or
http://en.miui.com/thread-214146-1-1.html)

I won't be responsible if anyone bricks their phone somehow. If you're unsure of something then it's probably a good idea to ask in the forums. Flash at your own risk.

Edit: Updated
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3524 posts
429 upvotes
Richmond
I'd pay a a little more and get a samsung note 3. Selling for 240 cad on ebay. Completely not worth it to get a knock off whatever you call it note 3. Get the real thing from samsung
Oct 15, 2015
695 posts
420 upvotes
Montreal, QC
My friend has this XIAOMI NOTE 2, It compatibility with FIdo SIM card. I think it should be good with Rogers too.
NOTE 3 is a prety good phone.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3337 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
Alekxqin wrote:
Jan 31st, 2016 4:44 pm
My friend has this XIAOMI NOTE 2, It compatibility with FIdo SIM card. I think it should be good with Rogers too.
NOTE 3 is a prety good phone.
TheRide wrote:
Jan 31st, 2016 10:06 am
With the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, you won't get 100% compatibility for 4G LTE on Rogers/Fido network. It lacks some of the 4G LTE bands such as 700 MHz.
I thought there wouldn't be any issues with it with LTE connection in some major city like Toronto or Montreal.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2652 posts
209 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 12:20 pm
I thought there wouldn't be any issues with it with LTE connection in some major city like Toronto or Montreal.
I know in downtown Toronto, 2600MHz is broadcasted. So it will work. But I'm saying that it's not 100% compatible with Rogers' LTE network. You won't get LTE in places where 2600MHz is not broadcasted.
Jun 6, 2015
498 posts
86 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TheRide wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 8:57 pm
I know in downtown Toronto, 2600MHz is broadcasted. So it will work. But I'm saying that it's not 100% compatible with Rogers' LTE network. You won't get LTE in places where 2600MHz is not broadcasted.
If you are in Toronto, you always get LTE on Rogers. I frequent Burlington, Pickering, Caledon, and other GTA locations and I always have LTE.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1618 posts
753 upvotes
Is this phone worth it or is there a new xiaomi phone thats better going to come out soon ?
Dec 30, 1969
628 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Alvord wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 7:51 pm
Is this phone worth it or is there a new xiaomi phone thats better going to come out soon ?
There will always be something better coming soon, just the way it is with tech. For the money, it is a very good phone.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10342 posts
2994 upvotes
Oakville
bluebellrose wrote:
Jan 31st, 2016 3:58 pm
I'd pay a a little more and get a samsung note 3. Selling for 240 cad on ebay. Completely not worth it to get a knock off whatever you call it note 3. Get the real thing from samsung
It's not a knock off. The Note name has just become synonymous with 5.5+" phones in China. Xiaomi is one of the (if not actually the) biggest phone makers in China right now. The Xiaomi has a bit of a nicer case than the Samsung Note 3, marginally faster processor, fingerprint sensor, slightly smaller screen (5.5 vs 5.7), no NFC and probably a worse camera, and also much worse third party ROM support, and also worse network support. And with the USD being what it is right now, it's more expensive than the Samsung. BUT, you're also getting a brand new phone, as opposed to used or refurb from eBay (and also - avoid buying used from Canada on eBay, unless buying from a seller with a very feedback. Thanks, blacklist!).
chevyz07 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 9:22 pm
If you are in Toronto, you always get LTE on Rogers. I frequent Burlington, Pickering, Caledon, and other GTA locations and I always have LTE.
I have gotten occasional drops down to 3G on 2600-only phones on Rogers here in Oakville... But for the most part, Rogers' 2600 coverage is fairly solid around the GTA.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3524 posts
429 upvotes
Richmond
If it isn't a knock off then they ought to be a little more original with the names.

I call it a knock off. Dont want people to call them a knock off? Stop being a copycat and be original like samsung and sony's xperia Z ultras. Surprised samsung hasn't sued them yet for copyright infringement.

Save up your cash back and get the latest samsung note or pick up a eol xperia z ultra when new models come out. Much cheaper than that knockoff phone.
Jun 6, 2015
498 posts
86 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Basically if you are worried about network compatibility, don't be, on Bell and Rogers (or their subs) you get 4G LTE everywhere, check my post above. Would definitely recommend it over any phone in Canada IF it was $180CAD. But sadly the CAD dollar is so weak that you are paying more something like $250CAD, so at that price you might as well get a 1+1. Also don't get an EOL Xperia Z Ultra or a Note 3. They aren't as good as the Redmi Note 3.

EDIT:
1 month ago it would be worth it, but now it has been outed that the Redmi Note 3 is having numerous issues with WiFi which really make it a dealbreaker.
http://www.gizmochina.com/2016/01/29/xi ... ew-update/
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10342 posts
2994 upvotes
Oakville
bluebellrose wrote:
Feb 10th, 2016 5:23 am
If it isn't a knock off then they ought to be a little more original with the names.

I call it a knock off. Dont want people to call them a knock off? Stop being a copycat and be original like samsung and sony's xperia Z ultras. Surprised samsung hasn't sued them yet for copyright infringement.
There are plenty of ACTUAL knock offs (same styling, even fake Samsung branding) on Chinese sites. "Note" has become a generic term in China for phablets, the same way that "Kleenex" has become a generic term for facial tissues in North America, or "Hoover" has become a generic term for vacuums in the UK.

And Samsung is hardly one to point to for being original. They're biggest innovation in the Galaxy lineup over the last few years was to add a curved edge to the screen.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10342 posts
2994 upvotes
Oakville
chevyz07 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2016 7:57 am
Basically if you are worried about network compatibility, don't be, on Bell and Rogers (or their subs) you get 4G LTE everywhere, check my post above.
Is Bell's band 7 coverage actually that good these days? It wasn't the last time I checked, but I'll admit that I haven't checked for quite some time now. :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel