None
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11191 posts
938 upvotes
Kanata
canadiantofu wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 11:32 pm
I picked Hong Kong for my Locale. But for those that ordered the Packed from Geekbuying where you get the glass and the clear case... Be warn.. that glass they sent me DOES NOT FIT the PRO. There's a 2mm gap at the bottom of the screen if I lined the Glass protector up with the camera hole.
That sounds like you ordered the international version (kate) and not kenzo. I have the same glass and it fits very close to the edges.
Jun 9, 2007
163 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, I'll have to get a new tempered glass and case when they are available. For now, I'll go with the gap. No other choice, really. Some of the ads specifically stated there will be a small gap. Guess those ones (who told the truth) did not get my order. Sad commentary.
Jun 9, 2007
163 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
I must say, the packaging for the tempered glass was very impressive. With the kids' phones I got just the glass in a padded plastic (?) case. That's it. But since the phone was brand new and the screen covered with that peel-off film, I probably didn't even need to buy that screen cleaning kit. Could have just plopped it on (as long as my fingers were clean). But this one came with a rigid plastic pox, all sealed and wrapped up, with instructions and lots of pictures showing the different layers and properties of the tempered glass. Also came with the alcohol wipe and dust-free cloth and lint pickers (the wipe/cloth were labeled "GRASS GUARD"; that's not a typo, and I'm not making it up). Not sure if all of that was really necessary; I would have gladly swapped the nice box and cleaning kit for a couple extra mm in length :)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10331 posts
2991 upvotes
Oakville
wprager wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 8:28 am
(the wipe/cloth were labeled "GRASS GUARD"; that's not a typo, and I'm not making it up).
Classic Chinglish. Grass, glass, same thing. :)
Dec 16, 2007
546 posts
167 upvotes
TO
So what is the verdict? Yay or nay?

I need a cheap midrange phone that can play Pokemon Go and have access to the Google Play store for a friend. Does this fit the bill?

EDIT: Shes on Public Mobile if that matters.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11191 posts
938 upvotes
Kanata
For those wondering about LTE on Koodo. I have the Kenzo model from geekbuying.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10664 posts
1221 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My friend helped me bring back a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime straight from Xiaomi. However I can't seem to get LTE working with Fido. I already changed the APN to ltemobile.apn. I'm fairly sure it is a regular Gold one and not a Special Edition as he verified with me before pulling the trigger. Even in Settings --> About Phone, it says Redmi Note 3. Is there a way to check which variant I have? I know it could be Kenzo or Kate but most likely not Hennessy.

Also I already did a OTA update to MIUI v8 in hopes this will rectify the LTE issue. Assuming I get LTE working, hope it won't mess up my ability to unlock bootloader later.

Edit: If it matters, the back of the phone has Chinese characters on it.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11191 posts
938 upvotes
Kanata
Kenzo = 150mm top to bottom, Snapdragon 650 CPU
Kate = 152mm top to bottom, Snapdragon 650 CPU
Hennessy = MediaTek CPU.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10664 posts
1221 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
goofball wrote:
Sep 27th, 2016 9:16 am
Kenzo = 150mm top to bottom, Snapdragon 650 CPU
Kate = 152mm top to bottom, Snapdragon 650 CPU
Hennessy = MediaTek CPU.
That's what I thought. I pulled out my ruler and I measured the phone as shorter then 150mm LOL. It's gold coloured so I don't think it's the Kate variant?

How can I get LTE enabled then? Checked the APN again just now and it seems to be correct. Or does it not show LTE/4G when running MIUI?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11191 posts
938 upvotes
Kanata
Check in settings to see what it's connected to. I used AIDA64 to see what it is set to. I'm not using MIUI right now so I don't know the answer.
Sep 7, 2006
47 posts
7 upvotes
Hey guys for those of you running Miui 8, I ran into some freezing problems when awakening phone after installing 8.0.2.0 global. Reflashed back to 8.0.1.0, stable again. Thought I would post a link to 8.0.1.0 if you need it. I will also post in the redmi note 3 post purchase discussion thread.

redmi note 3 pro qualcomm kenzo
http://bigota.d.miui.com/V8.0.1.0.LHOMI ... 360aff.tgz
Nov 20, 2013
60 posts
6 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
hi folks,
so which seller is more reliable from these ones? (Or which is the least reliable ;) )
- geekbuying
- tinydeal
- aliexpress (goldway)
- any other?
Thank you!
Dec 1, 2009
107 posts
47 upvotes
pimpilsang wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:37 am
hi folks,
so which seller is more reliable from these ones? (Or which is the least reliable ;) )
- geekbuying
- tinydeal
- aliexpress (goldway)
- any other?
Thank you!
I bought one from geekbuying and one from an authorized seller from AliExpress. I chose free shipping and it took about 4 weeks to get to me for both.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10331 posts
2991 upvotes
Oakville
pimpilsang wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:37 am
hi folks,
- geekbuying
- tinydeal
- aliexpress (goldway)
- any other?
Thank you!
I would put Geekbuying, ********, and Goldway about on par (Banggood as well) - so much of dealing with Chinese stores is YMMV, so you're going to hear bad stories about all of them. I've never had a bad experience with any of them. Never had a *good* experience with TinyDeal though.
Nov 20, 2013
60 posts
6 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
thanx for responses. Also considering Xiaomu Dreami store on Aliexpress.
Offtop: funny that often quoted and referred to Gsmarena is Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) based. You can actually spot some cyrillic writings on their sample pics. Doesn't really matter but rather surprising :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel