• Mar 29th, 2017 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1618 posts
753 upvotes
I had no idea this thread is still running...

Well I've used the note 3 for a couple months now. I have to say price/ performance is great. But I really don't like the OS, I've tried for hours to unlock the bootloader but keep getting an error so I gave up and now I use Google launcher. Closer to stock Android which I prefer. I also get random disconnects for about 8 seconds, not on the phone but when browsing. I've had it restart on me a few times now as well.. my two cents.
Feb 3, 2015
777 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing for me yet. I've been using MIUI 8. Radom restarts might be due to Google launcher. I find MIUI very simple to use.
Sep 5, 2011
162 posts
49 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 9:28 pm
Around 84k with Beanstalk 7.1/AGNi 2.7.
Was around 83k with Xiaomi.eu 6.10.13/AGNi 2.6
Thanks for letting me know about Beanstalk and AGNi kernel. I didn't know Nougat-based ROMs (other than CM14) were available for this phone. I'll give Beanstalk a try after I get bored with NX ROM.
Nov 26, 2016
1 posts
Hey I am using a Xiaomi device that offers 2600 band 7 but I am only getting 3G.
This is with a Rogers sim, and I am in Mississauga and Toronto. Am I doing something wrong to not be able to access LTE?
Nov 20, 2013
62 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Here's my buying and delivery report:
Bought from Aliexpress seller "Xiaomi Online Store", this listing, I chose regular free shipping.
Order placed Oct. 30, item shipped Nov 4th, delivered today, Nov 28. So, little less than a month from placing order and 24 days after shipment.
Packaging is surprisingly small, yet nicely protected with bubble wrap (see pics attached).
Checked for authenticity here with IMEI and it says "This is a 红米Note 3高配全网通版 金色 32GB".
Global Rom seems fine, worked right out of the box, it was in English and all usual Android and Google services were there. If you are non-teck savvy like me, and don't know how to flash roms, root etc - this seems good.
Koodo SIM got activated fine and says "Koodo 4G". Other basic things seem to work ok, and only one concern so far is battery, when charging gets rather warm. Maybe its known issue, if you know pls share.
End of report :)
Images
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11221 posts
946 upvotes
Kanata
pimpilsang wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 10:37 pm
Here's my buying and delivery report:
Bought from Aliexpress seller "Xiaomi Online Store", this listing, I chose regular free shipping.
Order placed Oct. 30, item shipped Nov 4th, delivered today, Nov 28. So, little less than a month from placing order and 24 days after shipment.
Packaging is surprisingly small, yet nicely protected with bubble wrap (see pics attached).
Checked for authenticity here with IMEI and it says "This is a 红米Note 3高配全网通版 金色 32GB".
Global Rom seems fine, worked right out of the box, it was in English and all usual Android and Google services were there. If you are non-teck savvy like me, and don't know how to flash roms, root etc - this seems good.
Koodo SIM got activated fine and says "Koodo 4G". Other basic things seem to work ok, and only one concern so far is battery, when charging gets rather warm. Maybe its known issue, if you know pls share.
End of report :)
Do you know if your rom is pre-rooted? If the bootloader is unlocked? I am curious as you may have a customized vendor rom and not the official global rom from Xiaomi, which should have the bootloader locked and not rooted.
Mar 7, 2011
103 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
CalebS567940 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 1:44 pm
Hey I am using a Xiaomi device that offers 2600 band 7 but I am only getting 3G.
This is with a Rogers sim, and I am in Mississauga and Toronto. Am I doing something wrong to not be able to access LTE?
I'm still learning with this phone, because I bought it for the wife and so I don't get to use it much. There are two places to set to use LTE, though not sure if they are both needed. One is in the android settings (not sure of exact menu but it's under cellular networks I think, you can say prefer 3g or prefer LTE. However, I think it is better to dial #*#*4636*#*# then go to the phone information and there is a part for network preference and all the combos that are available, you can select LTE only or maybe LTE/GSM.
Nov 20, 2013
62 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
goofball wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:42 am
Do you know if your rom is pre-rooted? If the bootloader is unlocked? I am curious as you may have a customized vendor rom and not the official global rom from Xiaomi, which should have the bootloader locked and not rooted.
No idea. As I've said, I usually have hard times understanding those terms, let alone doing something about them... Why? Is there something bad about vendor rom, except for bloatware?
UPD Dec 6th: it has MIUI 8.0.1.0.LHOMIDG
Last edited by pimpilsang on Nov 29th, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11221 posts
946 upvotes
Kanata
pimpilsang wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:56 am
No idea. As I've said, I usually have hard times understanding those terms, let alone doing something about them... Why? Is there something bad about vendor rom, except for bloatware?
It's not official so you won't be getting any updates. There could also be unnecessary apps installed, and/or other unwanted things installed/running.

If I were you, I would just download the official rom from Xiaomi, and set the phone up using that. At least then, you're for sure on official software and can get OTA updates.
Apr 29, 2013
408 posts
85 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone not able to use two sims simultaneously on this phone? I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro with a telus sim (voice and text) and now with a fido sim (data) in the second sim slot. The problem is if I select to use the fido sim for internet, my voice and text through telus no longer works. From what I'm reading online it may have something to do with having the same imei number for both sim slots instead of having a unique imei number for each slot in order two allow both to be active simultaneously. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?
Sep 4, 2008
122 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
goubagouba wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 9:23 pm
Anyone not able to use two sims simultaneously on this phone? I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro with a telus sim (voice and text) and now with a fido sim (data) in the second sim slot. The problem is if I select to use the fido sim for internet, my voice and text through telus no longer works. From what I'm reading online it may have something to do with having the same imei number for both sim slots instead of having a unique imei number for each slot in order two allow both to be active simultaneously. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?
To make your dual sim setup work, you need a phone that supports dual standby on Sim1(4G/3G) and Sim2(3G/2G). Currently most dual sim phones only support 4G/3G on Sim1 and then 2G on Sim2. Since you must designate the fido sim as data, it uses the 4G/3G Sim slot and Telus is relagated to 2G only which will then show you don't have a connection. The reverse situation works fine because Fido (Rogers) has the only remaining 2G network in Canada.

This is a software, not a hardware issue because you're in luck since you own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro. If you flash the latest Global Developer ROM from Xiaomi, the phone should support your setup. This works on both the Kenzo and Kate versions. I am hoping that eventually this feature makes it into Global Stable Nougat ROM

Edit: I updated my ROM to the Global Developer from Global Stable and dual 4G+3G sims work (Freedom + Public Mobile). I have a Kate version. Used the phone software update to swap back and forth. Also this phone is totally worth it, 3G Band 4 (Freedom) works even though it wasn't advertised.

Forum information on 4G + 3G handsets (scroll to Redmi Note 3 Pro)

MIUI Rom - Global (Kenzo)

MIUI Rom - Global (Kate)

Flash at your own discretion
Apr 29, 2013
408 posts
85 upvotes
Montreal
coo_rew wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 12:03 am
To make your dual sim setup work, you need a phone that supports dual standby on Sim1(4G/3G) and Sim2(3G/2G). Currently most dual sim phones only support 4G/3G on Sim1 and then 2G on Sim2. Since you must designate the fido sim as data, it uses the 4G/3G Sim slot and Telus is relagated to 2G only which will then show you don't have a connection. The reverse situation works fine because Fido (Rogers) has the only remaining 2G network in Canada.

This is a software, not a hardware issue because you're in luck since you own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro. If you flash the latest Global Developer ROM from Xiaomi, the phone should support your setup. This works on both the Kenzo and Kate versions. I am hoping that eventually this feature makes it into Global Stable Nougat ROM

Edit: I updated my ROM to the Global Developer from Global Stable and dual 4G+3G sims work (Freedom + Public Mobile). I have a Kate version. Used the phone software update to swap back and forth. Also this phone is totally worth it, 3G Band 4 (Freedom) works even though it wasn't advertised.

Forum information on 4G + 3G handsets (scroll to Redmi Note 3 Pro)

MIUI Rom - Global (Kenzo)

MIUI Rom - Global (Kate)

Flash at your own discretion
Thank you very much for your help. I'm having trouble flashing the developer ROM (I get a "Couldn't verify update package"). Are you aware of anyway to get around this? Also would you happen to know if the Redmi Note 4 supports dual standby on Sim1(4G/3G) and Sim2(3G/2G) out of the box? My brother was thinking of getting that phone but doesn't want to run into the same issue I am facing. Thanks again!
Sep 4, 2008
122 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
goubagouba wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 5:01 pm
Thank you very much for your help. I'm having trouble flashing the developer ROM (I get a "Couldn't verify update package"). Are you aware of anyway to get around this? Also would you happen to know if the Redmi Note 4 supports dual standby on Sim1(4G/3G) and Sim2(3G/2G) out of the box? My brother was thinking of getting that phone but doesn't want to run into the same issue I am facing. Thanks again!
I'm no expert at flashing, but I think that error message means you might have the wrong ROM file for your phone. You downloaded the right version for your phone? Kate is also known as "Special Edition" on the MIUI download screen. Don't touch any of the "MTK" Roms. Another issue arises if have a China Stable/Dev ROM installed, I don't think you can use the phone's updater app to flash to Global Stable/Dev. Same story if you have a "Vendor" ROM. You can try other methods such as recovery method or fastboot method. If you need more assistance getting the Global Dev ROM on your phone I'd suggest asking in the Xiaomi reddit. I think you have created a post about the dual sim issue or someone also from montreal with your exact sim setup has the same issue.

If you look at the Forum listing i provided, and search for Redmi Note 4, it does support 4G and 3G dual sim standby. If you follow those links further you'll see screen shot proof of a user on Boost Mobile 4G and then Virgin 3G and then switching. Note that the ROM is the Global Stable version, based on cross referencing the version number. No guarantee that the Stable China version has 4G+3G. On a side note, i think the Note 3 is still a better option due to the increased LTE Bands (Note 4 doesn't have 4G:Band 4, used for Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile) and likely more community development support since it has a Qualcomm chip.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11221 posts
946 upvotes
Kanata
You can't update directly through the updater from latest global stable to global dev, afaik. You need to either have an unlocked bootloader and then use fastboot mode, or use EDL mode to flash to dev.
Sep 4, 2008
122 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
I was able to use the updater to go from Global Stable to Global Dev, test the 4G+3G setup, then used the updater again to go from Global Dev to Global Stable.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel