None
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11395 posts
1053 upvotes
Kanata
sprung wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:49 am
Bought a used Redmi Note 3 Pro from the RFD BST forum. It had a really flaky MIUI 7 ROM stuck on Lollipop . It wouldn't let me update. Also would open browser windows on its own, even after a full reset. I struggled with it until 3am one night but finally successfully installed global developer ROM.

Love it now. Buttery smooth, great battery life, nicer than TouchWiz. Strongly suggest you all move from stable ROM to developer one instead. I'm currently on MIUI8 ver 7.3.16
You might have had a modified vendor rom installed. I do find the developer MIUI to be pretty stable, and they release weekly though usually with minor updates.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13378 posts
8861 upvotes
Toronto
oceanbeat wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 8:47 pm
Mine has the snap dragon and I access LTE a really good speeds, like the ones I posted before.

I hope it works!!!

Big ups to oceanbeat. I couldn't figure out why my Redmi Note 3 Pro was so slow on Rogers. It was jumping between 3G and HSPA in downtown Toronto.

Was lucky to get 5mbps download. After applying your settings I'm a happy camper with 37mbps download and steady 4G displayed in status bar. Thanks so much for posting.

Btw this phone rocks, highly recommend. I'm on developer ROM 7.3.16, MIUI8 , Android 6.0.1, security patch level 2017-2-1

Battery life is amazing. IR blaster is much fun.

Q - just curious, what is so fun about IR? got redmi note 4 global on the way.

A - for me it is great. No more need to buy batteries for my existing remotes. Also a blast at bars/restaurants when I want to watch something different. Or better yet, turn off that terrible 'motion blur' setting on their TVs.
Last edited by sprung on Mar 20th, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2057 posts
631 upvotes
North York
sprung wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:13 am

Battery life is amazing. IR blaster is much fun.
just curious, what is so fun about IR? got redmi note 4 global on the way.
Jun 21, 2009
201 posts
33 upvotes
Markham
I have the Mi Max...anyone having 4g connectivity problems. I think 4g(telus) is the best speed for this phone. Keeps switching to H, H+ but rarely on 4g. I live in Markham.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3729 posts
521 upvotes
Kitchener
valence wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 6:51 pm
I have the Mi Max...anyone having 4g connectivity problems. I think 4g(telus) is the best speed for this phone. Keeps switching to H, H+ but rarely on 4g. I live in Markham.
Doesn't seem to support band 4 needed for 4g.
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max-8057.php
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/telus-canada
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4104 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
quazy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:08 am
just curious, what is so fun about IR? got redmi note 4 global on the way.
Hmm you can put away the mess of IRs usually in your rec room where the TV is.
Not many phone has the hardware of IR. The app is cool too
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2057 posts
631 upvotes
North York
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 5:27 pm
Hmm you can put away the mess of IRs usually in your rec room where the TV is.
Not many phone has the hardware of IR. The app is cool too
im using it now on redmi note 4 sd and it's okay for when i misplace a controller, but it's way more useful for changing the channel in waiting rooms and bars.
Dec 7, 2009
261 posts
126 upvotes
Ajax
Xiaomi is very responsive to their IR blaster app.
My Sony XBR 4K was not on the list, reported it with model number, although Xiaomi did not send me a reply, what do you know it's working on the TV about 2 weeks later.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13378 posts
8861 upvotes
Toronto
quazy wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 8:28 pm
but it's way more useful for changing the channel in waiting rooms and bars.
Yup. Huge lunchtime lineup at Burger King on Yonge /Dundas yesterday for Whopper Wednesday /$1.99 nuggets. For some reason all their TVs were off. Used my Redmi Note 3 to get them all going again. CP24 for everyone!
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

Sep 18, 2013
61 posts
25 upvotes
Victoria
oceanbeat wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 8:47 pm
Mine has the snap dragon and I access LTE a really good speeds, like the ones I posted before.

1 - If you still don't get LTE, it could be your location. It is on 3G all the time or only where you live?

2- check your APN settings, I'm posting mine:

3 - check your network configuration...just be careful not to mess with the configuration

go to settings...about phone and tap 4 times "internal memory" it will open "phone info" select phone 1 or phone 2 depending which sim card slot you are using, and go to select preferred network type.

There you can select LTE only

or have the option for all network types like I have mine

I hope it works!!!
Thanks so much. Didn't know I could get my phone off of H+ to LTE until i saw this.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13378 posts
8861 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewBC wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 12:13 am
Thanks so much. Didn't know I could get my phone off of H+ to LTE until i saw this.
if you want to mess with your wireless carrier change their name to something else (ie Rogers becomes Bell, etc) then go in for help. Watch them throw free sim cards at you.

Oct 18, 2007
223 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
I was having problems with just getting 3g on my 3gb fido tablet sim, so I found this website:
Your text to link here...

followed the 2 alternatives and voila worked. also changed my settings to LTE only.

I also ordered this xiaomi redmi note 4 via aliexpress seller Xiaomi. paid 13usd for dhl and paid 23.94 CDN for duties. came in less than 6 days. i had constant update via text/email so I knew when it would arrive.