• Sep 14th, 2018 2:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
24 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 VS other China phones

Hi,
I am new to china phones. I heard some China phones you don't get android updates. Is that true? Does Xiaomi phones get regular updates?

Anyone recommends any phone under $200cad and supports LTE for telus and Fido network in Canada?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4723 posts
2175 upvotes
Xiaomi is the single best Android handset manufacturer for updates, they even do this for phones that are many years old. This should be mandatory for every Android phone.

The Redmi Note 5 is the best budget phone of all time. Just make sure to order the global version, and not the global rom one. It has enough LTE bands to offer decent support in cities. It might not always do this out in the country, but it should still work.

An easy way to make sure you have the right one is to look at the reviews on Aliexpress on a merchant's product page, look at the user uploaded pictures for these reviews, and make sure that the red box doesn't have Chinese characters and instead says Global Version.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2102 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have the 4gb/64gb Redmi Note 4 (I believe it is the Global Version) and it works great in Ottawa with Telus. The phone is quick, responsive, great battery, and a pretty screen. The camera can take pretty decent pictures in the day but becomes almost unusable at night. The mic quality is horrible: in calls, it's serviceable but as a mic for videos, it's bad and downright AWFUL if there is bass (like at concerts). I got it for around $230 shipped and delivered when it first came out. It's getting pretty old now so I'm thinking of getting the 5 or maybe waiting for the 6 but I'm sold on these phones. Even better as it allows you to keep cheap plans rather than be forced to pay more when you upgrade.
Sep 24, 2007
8 posts
Maple Ridge
I was like you and was unsure of the Chinese phones, but figured that there are millions of people there using them so the company has to be doing something right! I ordered a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S from Geekbuying. I paid about $500 less than I would have for the equivalent Samsung product (Galaxy S9) here in Canada. The phone is fantastic but I did learn that ordering from China means taking a risk that if the product has any problems, you have no warranty. Unfortunately mine was one of those. The front camera does not work. I could have sent it back for repair/replacement but it would have cost me $90 to do that, which being an avid RFD reader would have gone against my $500 savings. Fortunately I am not of the selfie generation so don't really care about the front camera.

There will always be a "Buyer Beware" issue when ordering from online overseas but if you are willing to risk a couple hundred dollars in order to save a substantial amount on a similar product here, it makes for an exciting anticipatory experience! Updates have been coming regularly but it is close to the top of their line of phones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)