Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4934 posts
1363 upvotes
Halifax
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:16 am
Check out https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
But do to combination of lack of power from the Pi and bad performance of the square camera, I've ditched both to use a generic china ip cam and a more powerful linux desktop machine.
ill use a desktop to record, pi is just for the server talk
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:21 am
iVideon runs on any Windows PC... you just need to make sure you have sufficient disk space to store the recordings. The iVideon server app can run as a Windows service so you just need to make sure the computer is on 24/7 to have the server running.
i want to make sure the cameras are connected locally and not to the web. will this ensure of that?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11335 posts
3560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:22 am
i want to make sure the cameras are connected locally and not to the web. will this ensure of that?
Yes. If you set up iVideon server on your local PC but not link it to an iVideon account (which is required if you wish to access your locally-stored recordings from outside your home network), then everything is connected locally and accessed locally only. You can then download the iVideon client onto your Windows, Mac or Linux computers and access your recordings locally that way. You won't be able to use the iVideon mobile apps to access the recordings outside of your house.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4934 posts
1363 upvotes
Halifax
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:48 am
Yes. If you set up iVideon server on your local PC but not link it to an iVideon account (which is required if you wish to access your locally-stored recordings from outside your home network), then everything is connected locally and accessed locally only. You can then download the iVideon client onto your Windows, Mac or Linux computers and access your recordings locally that way. You won't be able to use the iVideon mobile apps to access the recordings outside of your house.
pardon me, but I can't seem to find in the docs for iVideon where it creates its own network to connect your cameras too. so that this xiaomi camera does not reach outside to the public.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11335 posts
3560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:45 pm
pardon me, but I can't seem to find in the docs for iVideon where it creates its own network to connect your cameras too. so that this xiaomi camera does not reach outside to the public.
Go to this page:

https://www.ivideon.com/downloads/

Download & install the iVideon server onto a Windows PC, Mac or Linux computer that you have on 24/7. You have to specify where to save the recordings to so make sure the computer has enough disk space. In the settings don't link it to an iVideon account. Just enable "Local View" so you can access the camera feed and recordings with the iVideon client.

Once you've set up the server and have linked a camera to it, you can download and install the iVideon Client on the same computer or on any local computer you have in your house. The client software is what you will use to watch the camera feeds, playback the recordings, and change the settings.

On the server, you can put a password on the Local View option if you are paranoid someone could access your cameras.

In this set up, nothing captured by the hacked Xiaomi cameras would reach outside of your home LAN.

And just to reiterate, iVideon only works with a Xiaomi camera that has been hacked with a Xiaofang hack. Once I get my dafang camera and hack it, I'll test it with my setup to see if it works with iVideon.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4934 posts
1363 upvotes
Halifax
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:03 pm
Go to this page:

https://www.ivideon.com/downloads/

Download & install the iVideon server onto a Windows PC, Mac or Linux computer that you have on 24/7. You have to specify where to save the recordings to so make sure the computer has enough disk space. In the settings don't link it to an iVideon account. Just enable "Local View" so you can access the camera feed and recordings with the iVideon client.

Once you've set up the server and have linked a camera to it, you can download and install the iVideon Client on the same computer or on any local computer you have in your house. The client software is what you will use to watch the camera feeds, playback the recordings, and change the settings.

On the server, you can put a password on the Local View option if you are paranoid someone could access your cameras.

In this set up, nothing captured by the hacked Xiaomi cameras would reach outside of your home LAN.

And just to reiterate, iVideon only works with a Xiaomi camera that has been hacked with a Xiaofang hack. Once I get my dafang camera and hack it, I'll test it with my setup to see if it works with iVideon.
Thanks for the info. I must say, their support docs suck. they don't make it clear what they offer. Reading through it all, it sounds like only icideoon enabled cameras will work (sometimes with custom firmware).

They do not make it sound like this scenario will work:

I have IP Cam A. I want to connect it to Ivideon for recording, to a secure network seperate from my own. Ivideon creates that network, allowing the IPCAM to connect to it wirelessly.
Mar 5, 2006
834 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:09 pm
Thanks for the info. I must say, their support docs suck. they don't make it clear what they offer. Reading through it all, it sounds like only icideoon enabled cameras will work (sometimes with custom firmware).

I have IP Cam A. I want to connect it to Ivideon for recording, to a secure network seperate from my own. Ivideon creates that network, allowing the IPCAM to connect to it wirelessly.
?? confused...
So you have a separate network for this entire thing. So IPCAM will have its own ip, the recording software's machine will have its own ip, and the network storage for the recording will have its own ip.
You just point the recording software to take source from IPCAM ip, then to save to network storage ip.
The recording software has nothing to do with the network. The hacked ipcam will host its video off RTSP, where the recording software will grab from.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11335 posts
3560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:09 pm

They are probably not too upfront about that ability because they don't get any profits from that set up. The server & client software are both free, and you're not using their cloud services so they are not earning any ongoing revenue from you.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11335 posts
3560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:28 pm
?? confused...
So you have a separate network for this entire thing. So IPCAM will have its own ip, the recording software's machine will have its own ip, and the network storage for the recording will have its own ip.
You just point the recording software to take source from IPCAM ip, then to save to network storage ip.
The recording software has nothing to do with the network. The hacked ipcam will host its video off RTSP, where the recording software will grab from.
Well, that's not entirely true. The recording software (in this case the iVideon Server) will have functions such as scheduled recording, motion detection, exclusion of areas from motion detection, etc. If the machine with the server installed has sufficient storage capacity, you don't need another network storage for the recordings. So you're only dealing with 2 IP addresses: 1 for the camera, 1 for the server.
Mar 5, 2006
834 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:36 pm
Well, that's not entirely true. The recording software (in this case the iVideon Server) will have functions such as scheduled recording, motion detection, exclusion of areas from motion detection, etc. If the machine with the server installed has sufficient storage capacity, you don't need another network storage for the recordings. So you're only dealing with 2 IP addresses: 1 for the camera, 1 for the server.
I'm just reading in between his wording. But either way he's more looking for a network setup than looking for a NVR software. Because almost all NVR software could do what he's looking for.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4934 posts
1363 upvotes
Halifax
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:44 pm
I'm just reading in between his wording. But either way he's more looking for a network setup than looking for a NVR software. Because almost all NVR software could do what he's looking for.

I am looking for my own dedicated server / network to isolate my IP Cams from the outside world. I am not sure if iVideon Server does that - it is not clear on their website, and there seems to be some confusion in the replies here Astonished Face
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11335 posts
3560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:03 pm
I am looking for my own dedicated server / network to isolate my IP Cams from the outside world. I am not sure if iVideon Server does that - it is not clear on their website, and there seems to be some confusion in the replies here Astonished Face
I thought my post and instructions were pretty clear on how to set it up such that it is isolated from the outside world.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4934 posts
1363 upvotes
Halifax
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:26 pm
I thought my post and instructions were pretty clear on how to set it up such that it is isolated from the outside world.
I think you are missing my main point. But that is OKAY. I found a couple guides on how to do it with a pi that I will try.
Dec 12, 2012
298 posts
162 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm having trouble connecting my camera to the app. Does anyone have any suggestions? It always just says failed to connect trying to add. The device originally showed up but offline so I figured just removing it and reconnecting it might do the trick but no luck. I also uninstalled the app but no difference. I'm stuck on what to try next?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3139 posts
472 upvotes
Calgary
Running default firmware I noticed that Look Back feature doesn't work. Anyone knows how to fix?
Nov 23, 2004
716 posts
133 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:48 am
Are you still able to view live feeds from the camera outside your house / outside of the local LAN (not talking about the recordings)? Thanks!