• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 11:11 am
Mar 5, 2006
715 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
freebies_r_us wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 9:45 pm
Are you still able to view live feeds from the camera outside your house / outside of the local LAN (not talking about the recordings)? Thanks!
That defeats the purpose of isolating the network.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10988 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
freebies_r_us wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 9:45 pm
Are you still able to view live feeds from the camera outside your house / outside of the local LAN (not talking about the recordings)? Thanks!
Both live and recording viewing is through the same mechanism (through the My Ivideon portal), and requires you to give the iVideon server internet access. Mind you, it's password protected so it's fairly secured. So as @jasonchewy mentioned, it depends on whether you want to truly isolate the server from the internet or not. For me, my cams are all pointed outside so there's no risk in the invasion of our privacy if someone were to successfully hacked our password.
Nov 23, 2004
673 posts
115 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 10:54 am
Both live and recording viewing is through the same mechanism (through the My Ivideon portal), and requires you to give the iVideon server internet access. Mind you, it's password protected so it's fairly secured. So as @jasonchewy mentioned, it depends on whether you want to truly isolate the server from the internet or not. For me, my cams are all pointed outside so there's no risk in the invasion of our privacy if someone were to successfully hacked our password.
that's great. i'm in the same boat, my 2 cameras are both inside pointing out at my garage and another one at my driveway / front door so it's ok if someone actually hacked the password. i just wanted to be sure that i could still see it while i was at work and not rely on the MI Home App / cloud server and an micro SD card for the recording. One of my cameras is continuous recording while the other requires me to reformat the card once it's full. hopefully this will make it easier.

thanks for the clarification!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10988 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
freebies_r_us wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 11:49 am
that's great. i'm in the same boat, my 2 cameras are both inside pointing out at my garage and another one at my driveway / front door so it's ok if someone actually hacked the password. i just wanted to be sure that i could still see it while i was at work and not rely on the MI Home App / cloud server and an micro SD card for the recording. One of my cameras is continuous recording while the other requires me to reformat the card once it's full. hopefully this will make it easier.

thanks for the clarification!
iVideon would be ideal for your setup. You can set iVideon to continuously record, or to record when it detects motion (to save space). You'll need to set up the server on a computer that's always on and has a decent amount of disk space (a 2TB drive should be sufficient). But the iVideon interface to live stream and watch your recordings is pretty nice and has a timeline so you can quickly scan when there was a recording (if you don't have continuous recording set up). The interface is quick to jump back in time and back in dates.
May 26, 2003
465 posts
22 upvotes
Would you find out how much to cost me if it is shipping to Vancouver, BC? Did you hack it and running good? Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1112 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Finally fiddled around with iVideon and it's pretty good so far. Put the server on an old WinXP machine... not sure if it's too slow or old, but I'll see if I'll have to put this on different hardware. Still would've preferred if the company could make a version of the server for the RaspberryPi....
Mar 5, 2006
715 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
diav wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:31 pm
Finally fiddled around with iVideon and it's pretty good so far. Put the server on an old WinXP machine... not sure if it's too slow or old, but I'll see if I'll have to put this on different hardware. Still would've preferred if the company could make a version of the server for the RaspberryPi....
You should try out MotionEyeOS if you want to use raspberry pi.
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1112 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:20 am
You should try out MotionEyeOS if you want to use raspberry pi.
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
Cool, thanks for the recommendation.
I actually put a variety of things on my Pi, so I'm not sure if I can use this MotionEyeOS with all the other stuff. Might need to get another Pi, but I'll deal with that if needed.
Mar 5, 2006
715 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
diav wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 11:06 am
Cool, thanks for the recommendation.
I actually put a variety of things on my Pi, so I'm not sure if I can use this MotionEyeOS with all the other stuff. Might need to get another Pi, but I'll deal with that if needed.
Then you can try the one without the OS part:
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneye/

If you have a spare microsd, you can load it up quickly and just test drive it a bit with the OS one, see if it fits your needs, then manually install it on your existing Pi.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1112 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 11:13 am
Then you can try the one without the OS part:
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneye/

If you have a spare microsd, you can load it up quickly and just test drive it a bit with the OS one, see if it fits your needs, then manually install it on your existing Pi.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1112 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Just an update... I put motion and motioneye on my RPi3 and while motioneye works fine with the Xiaofangs, I noticed the Pi temperature getting really hot (about ~75 to 80 C) even with a lot of heatsinks. Currently using my Pi for lastcast, PiHole and some miscellaneous scripts on my home network. I think CPU throttling starts around that temperature so I might have to get another RaspberryPi for my Xiaofang cameras since motion will be monitoring for 24hrs a day.... might be better than using an old laptop on iVideon but I do like the features iVideon has (especially accessing from outside home network, instead of portforwarding the Pi for motioneye).
[OP]
Mar 1, 2005
901 posts
369 upvotes
Markham
Trying to get this hacked camera working on my wife’s iPhone. TinyCam monitor works perfectly on Android but I can’t find an equivalent app on iOS.

I’ve tested IPCam Viewer and LiveCams Pro. I can only get IPCam Viewer working on Xiaomi Ants cameras.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3246 posts
501 upvotes
wow huge thread...still same price 13months later? how come no price drop lol
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1112 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 10:33 am
wow huge thread...still same price 13months later? how come no price drop lol
Pretty sure it's been more of a price increase... since a lot of people bought them to hack lol I think they're about 30USD now? I haven't checked recently.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

djrobinn