Xiaomi Xiaofang 1080p Smart Wifi IP "Small Square" Camera : $19.69 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 1:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9600 posts
1002 upvotes
can this take a photo? like capture?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11098 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kiasu wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:17 pm
In addition to the regular videos, you can take a photo or take timelapse video using the Mi Home app.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1140 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:17 pm
Yes. It can take a photo when motion is triggered (if you set it up with iVideon or MotionEye) or with the regular Mi Home App.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9600 posts
1002 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:37 pm
In addition to the regular videos, you can take a photo or take timelapse video using the Mi Home app.
i have it on my mi home now but cant figure how to setup timelapse...hmm
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9600 posts
1002 upvotes
diav wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:39 pm
Yes. It can take a photo when motion is triggered (if you set it up with iVideon or MotionEye) or with the regular Mi Home App.
thx..i may try the hack with iVdeon...which sdcard would you recommend or u r using?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11098 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kiasu wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:55 pm
i have it on my mi home now but cant figure how to setup timelapse...hmm
Load up the camera's live stream then click on the right-most icon at the bottom (the one with the 3 horizontal lines). That should bring up a screen with the various options you can toggle on and off. The first one should the Time Lapse.
kiasu wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:55 pm
thx..i may try the hack with iVdeon...which sdcard would you recommend or u r using?
Any micro SD card will work. It doesn't need to be a large capacity one since you are not using it to store videos.
Nov 23, 2004
695 posts
119 upvotes
Is anybody who didn't do the Hack using firmware version 3.3.3.25? Want to make sure it works in North America before updating.

I'm currently on version 3.0.3.56 but it does not recognize the SD card anymore via the app (even though it does record to SD card - i've put it into computer and can see ~6 days of footage). What's more annoying is that it has also lost its ability to continuously record on SD card (it stops recording now once the card is full) so hopefully the new firmware version may fix it?
Jul 1, 2006
380 posts
102 upvotes
Brampton
andryou wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:50 pm
Thanks! I recommended that everyone flashes Fang Hack to properly prepare the microSD card with 2 partitions, one of which is invisible to Windows machines.

The folder that contains the bootstrap folder is where you should copy the firmware files. After doing so, the folder contents should appear as it does in my screenshot on https://www.andryou.com/2017/07/11/sett ... ty-camera/ (under "Flash Fang Hacks onto microSD").
I cannot thank you enough @andryou . after week of trial and error, and after trying every solution out there to downgrade but nothing worked.
I went through your steps of downgrade and everything worked out exactly as described.
I think the key was formatting SDcard with fanghack with proper partitions.

Thanks once again.
Jul 1, 2006
380 posts
102 upvotes
Brampton
Well it turns out firmware didnt get downgraded. But before doing your process i was unable to connect to WiFi at all...always timing out.
But after going through your process XF Cam can connect to my Wifi through Mi App, but unable to see the video stream, it is stuck on step1/3. Also when i reboot the cam, it then doesnt connect to the wifi, strange behavior.

I am on FW 3.3.3.25, any way to downgrade this FW to the v3.0.3.56
any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Apr 5, 2009
418 posts
66 upvotes
Can someone help me with changing the resolution? I'm new to Putty/SSH/Telnet, but after googling for a couple days, I have these steps - what am I doing wrong? Because after I did the ":w"
to save and exit, my camera was 'bricked' with no LED nor connectivity. Should I be doing "chmod" or something? Or, was I supposed to stop the rtsp service first? or something else? For the life of me I can't find a youtube video or instructions...

Steps:
1) Open Putty and enter target camera ip: “192.168.1.###”
2) enter login and pass: “root” and “ismart12”
3)_ Navigate to folder by: “cd /media/mmcblk0p2/data/etc/scripts”
4) Show files in folder to make sure you’re in right place: “ls”
5) type this to open vi editor “vi 20-rtsp-server”
6) user cursor keys to navigate to the frame height and width numbers. Change each one to 1280 x 720 but placing cursor on old value and then “R” Shift –r to replace numbers with new numbers
7) close and save file by “:w”
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1140 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
xscorpio wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 9:09 pm
Well it turns out firmware didnt get downgraded. But before doing your process i was unable to connect to WiFi at all...always timing out.
But after going through your process XF Cam can connect to my Wifi through Mi App, but unable to see the video stream, it is stuck on step1/3. Also when i reboot the cam, it then doesnt connect to the wifi, strange behavior.

I am on FW 3.3.3.25, any way to downgrade this FW to the v3.0.3.56
any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
See https://github.com/samtap/fang-hacks/wi ... via-sdcard
Apr 5, 2009
418 posts
66 upvotes
does anyone know the operating temperature of this camera? For $20 bucks, I was going to stick it outside, up near the soffit of the roof where it hopefully won't get wet but will be exposed to temperature and humidity. Anyone try it outdoors / outside?
Aug 12, 2014
39 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HOW TO do FANG HACK ? IT IS not easy for me, I tried 3 times, all failed .
is there any new idea on how to do fang hack?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2192 posts
57 upvotes
Is there anyway to access without port forwarding and/or an always on computer? Looking to put this in a rented room, but don't have a computer to leave on 24/7 and can't modify the router settings... unless UPnP works?