Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Xiaomi Xiaofang 1080p Smart Wifi IP "Small Square" Camera : $19.69 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 2:04 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3811 posts
4200 upvotes
Mordor
325i wrote: ** Update **

Managed to get the older image to load, the instructions were a bit different for my version of the camera. With that said the IOS app and Android app still won't work as the camera is being identified as only for China.

Oh well... $25 failed experiment.

Thanks, looks like I'm doing something wrong then.

I throw the SD card in the camera then plug in the power with the setup button held down and the orange light stays solid forever.

Can't get it to take the older image.
here you go!

for doing the fanghack, just need to pop it in while the device is turned on, you don't even need to hold any buttons....you'll hear 2 clanking noise and just hit up your XF's ip http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/status
Sep 20, 2015
256 posts
175 upvotes
The cows are everywh…
I must be very challenged.

I followed the instructions outlined and have the same folders as posted above.

The main issue I have is that when I try to scan for the device in MiHome, I get the message "couldn't find an available wifi network", each and every time.
I attached screenshots of my folders.

The only thing I can't do is "step 3.extract the XiaoFang v3.0.3.56 firmware to the “mmcblk0p1” folder on the microSD card." because this folder is nowhere to be found as Windows cannot recognize it apparently (according to a response in this thread somewhere) and there are't any further instructions for Windows users on this.

My MiHome & Xiafang are at the correct versions.
Images
  • 3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.PNG
  • 4.JPG
signature removed for being inappropriate
Jan 11, 2009
839 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Boomhauerr wrote: I must be very challenged.

I followed the instructions outlined and have the same folders as posted above.

The main issue I have is that when I try to scan for the device in MiHome, I get the message "couldn't find an available wifi network", each and every time.
I attached screenshots of my folders.

The only thing I can't do is "step 3.extract the XiaoFang v3.0.3.56 firmware to the “mmcblk0p1” folder on the microSD card." because this folder is nowhere to be found as Windows cannot recognize it apparently (according to a response in this thread somewhere) and there are't any further instructions for Windows users on this.

My MiHome & Xiafang are at the correct versions.
this camera is a POS to work with - most of the instructions are copied and pasted form all over the place and are not clear enough
in your case you need to downgrade your firmware - forget about fanghacks until you downgrade
just extract v3.0.3.56.zip to your root folder in your sd card (if you have fanghacks installed on your sd card delete all the files and extract the zip file to it) and when downgrading insert the SD Card first the hold the setup button and then insert the power cord...wait 10-15 seconds and then let go of the setup button. after about a minute you will get a blinking blue light and you should be downgraded.
now you can connect to the older mihome app and apply fanghacks
hope this helps
Jan 11, 2009
839 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
btw there now is a way to get secured streaming over the internet using fang hacks....testing a couple methods out and one of them seems to be working
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
xseanx wrote: this camera is a POS to work with - most of the instructions are copied and pasted form all over the place and are not clear enough
in your case you need to downgrade your firmware - forget about fanghacks until you downgrade
just extract v3.0.3.56.zip to your root folder in your sd card (if you have fanghacks installed on your sd card delete all the files and extract the zip file to it) and when downgrading insert the SD Card first the hold the setup button and then insert the power cord...wait 10-15 seconds and then let go of the setup button. after about a minute you will get a blinking blue light and you should be downgraded.
now you can connect to the older mihome app and apply fanghacks
hope this helps
Do you or anyone know how to remove the hacks? I updated firmware stupidly but now in the mihome app i can't get the micam to recognize the sdcard..
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
barqers wrote: Do you or anyone know how to remove the hacks? I updated firmware stupidly but now in the mihome app i can't get the micam to recognize the sdcard..
I thought if you remove the sd card and restart the camera it will bypass the hack and be accessible via the mihome app. Make sure you don't disable the cloud service in the fanghack.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
rvs007 wrote: I thought if you remove the sd card and restart the camera it will bypass the hack and be accessible via the mihome app. Make sure you don't disable the cloud service in the fanghack.
Yeah I thought so too - I didn't disable cloud service, so I can connect to the camera through the xiaomi app, but when I plug in a blank sdcard the camera doesn't recognize it
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1031 posts
294 upvotes
Brampton
barqers wrote: Hey just wondering, do you happen to know how to remove the hacks?
yes, just pop the SD card back out and fanghack will not work.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
djrobinn wrote: yes, just pop the SD card back out and fanghack will not work.
I managed to find a way to get it to work, but popping out the sdcard doesn't remove the hacks. The hacks overwrite a file called 'sdcard' and the modified file doesn't work with the most recent mi camera firmware (it will not detect sdcards anymore). I had to manually modify the sdcard file back to the source code.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
Which sites are people buying from now? Out of the links in the OP, only fasttech seems to be in stock. Any other options?
Mar 27, 2010
487 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
hackoder wrote: Which sites are people buying from now? Out of the links in the OP, only fasttech seems to be in stock. Any other options?
Nothing wrong with Fasttech. I have one from there and with epacket delivery for a minimal cost it will arrive in 10 days or so.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
Gurkha9 wrote: Nothing wrong with Fasttech. I have one from there and with epacket delivery for a minimal cost it will arrive in 10 days or so.
Thanks. Pulled the trigger with the ePacket option.
Mar 27, 2010
487 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
hackoder wrote: Thanks. Pulled the trigger with the ePacket option.
epacket is definitely worth it when available. Can track it via the Canada Post App or online.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1031 posts
294 upvotes
Brampton
so I have the camera but even with fanghacks, the value of it it miniscule. First up, I have trouble accessing it from outside my home network because I'm already port forwarding to another camera I have... then, there are no built-in smarts like motion detection, etc. with Fanghacks.

I'm tempted to factory reset it so it goes back to factory settings. At least it has some features that way...

can someone enlighten me please... thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djrobinn wrote: so I have the camera but even with fanghacks, the value of it it miniscule. First up, I have trouble accessing it from outside my home network because I'm already port forwarding to another camera I have... then, there are no built-in smarts like motion detection, etc. with Fanghacks.

I'm tempted to factory reset it so it goes back to factory settings. At least it has some features that way...

can someone enlighten me please... thanks!
When you apply the fanghack, it opens up the RTSP feed so that you can use it as a IP camera with a security surveillance software like Blue Iris or Contacam or Ivideon (what I ended up using). Those security software can provide the same "smarts" as the Mi Home app and cloud service, without you being tied to the cloud in China. Using the security software will allow you remote access to all your cameras that is protected by a login/password, allow you much greater control of when to record (24/7, upon motion detection, on schedule, etc), and you'll be able to tweak the sensitivity of the motion detection (create exclusion zones, adjust sensitivity, etc.)

Ever since I've switched to iVideon (https://www.ivideon.com/) I've been very pleased with it. It's free and if you have a computer that can be on 24/7, you don't need to pay for the cloud service (it's optional). The software is rock solid (haven't had it crash on me), gives you a lot of control over your camera feeds, has a very nice user GUI that lets you go back and view recorded footages, and gives you access across multiple OS platforms and mobile devices. I almost bit the bullet and was about to buy Blue Iris because everyone raves about it, but I'm glad I found iVideon instead. I was using Contacam before and even though it served me well, it was quite basic in terms of features and user interface. iVideon is quite powerful and feature-rich for something that is free. Highly recommend trying!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1031 posts
294 upvotes
Brampton
rvs007 wrote: When you apply the fanghack, it opens up the RTSP feed so that you can use it as a IP camera with a security surveillance software like Blue Iris or Contacam or Ivideon (what I ended up using). Those security software can provide the same "smarts" as the Mi Home app and cloud service, without you being tied to the cloud in China. Using the security software will allow you remote access to all your cameras that is protected by a login/password, allow you much greater control of when to record (24/7, upon motion detection, on schedule, etc), and you'll be able to tweak the sensitivity of the motion detection (create exclusion zones, adjust sensitivity, etc.)

Ever since I've switched to iVideon (https://www.ivideon.com/) I've been very pleased with it. It's free and if you have a computer that can be on 24/7, you don't need to pay for the cloud service (it's optional). The software is rock solid (haven't had it crash on me), gives you a lot of control over your camera feeds, has a very nice user GUI that lets you go back and view recorded footages, and gives you access across multiple OS platforms and mobile devices. I almost bit the bullet and was about to buy Blue Iris because everyone raves about it, but I'm glad I found iVideon instead. I was using Contacam before and even though it served me well, it was quite basic in terms of features and user interface. iVideon is quite powerful and feature-rich for something that is free. Highly recommend trying!
Thanks so much man... does ivdeon take care of port forwarding and all the other nonsense? Thanks and thanked!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1031 posts
294 upvotes
Brampton
which manufacturer/ model to use within ivideon for the Xiaomi camera?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djrobinn wrote: which manufacturer/ model to use within ivideon for the Xiaomi camera?
Pick the topmost entry "Other Manufacturer" and put in the RTSP link in the URL section ("rtsp://IP ADDRESS/unicast").
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djrobinn wrote: Thanks so much man... does ivdeon take care of port forwarding and all the other nonsense? Thanks and thanked!
Yes, you don't need to do any port forwarding if you have the iVideon server running within your home network (behind the router). You can still access your feed & recordings when you log in from www.ivideon.com website from outside your home network.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)