Computers & Electronics

XIOS DS Media Player Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2015 7:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4284 posts
300 upvotes
I've just realized you are now moderator. Congratulations!! And keep up the good work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8573 posts
2157 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote:
May 31st, 2012 6:20 pm
The XIOS DS can be bought for: NewEgg $120
Note from their description, "Powered by Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and can be upgrade-able to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) via firmware update." I'm not sure if the underlined part is a grammatical error or an indication that they're not really sure if it can be upgraded.
aasoror wrote:
May 31st, 2012 6:31 pm
The XIOS isn't meant to be a replacement for the AIOS but rather an answer for the same question but in a different context .. so I don't see drastic price slashes coming soon (as they are already paced properly price wise).
Also the XIOS has built-in b/g/n WiFi so that alone gives it a $10 advantage over AIOS for those of us who connect via WiFi.

P.S. For people who can't wait and/or want to save on shipping, Canada Computers shows several units available in Waterloo and more at most of their other stores for the same $120 as NCIX/Newegg.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Jan 3, 2004
143 posts
21 upvotes
I saw a message on the Pivos forums stating that 4.0 isn't quite ready for release yet, but should be soon.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34299 posts
6253 upvotes
Thanks for sharing the ics status.

Will this play flash and html5 with chrome or stock browser? What about media playback vs. the Aios?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12485 posts
1742 upvotes
Toronto
Not ICS.

Also, does it support file sizes over 4 GB?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11277 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 8:22 am
Not ICS.

Also, does it support file sizes over 4 GB?

I doubt the player wouldn't support files > 4gb. Players have supported ntfs and hfs+ for a while.
Jul 23, 2005
751 posts
104 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Can I install the PPS.TV app on it to watch Chinese movies?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10859 posts
3389 upvotes
Kitchener
shuffle wrote:
May 31st, 2012 6:30 pm
Please do let us know what you think - review of this unit are hard to find.

Specifically, I want to know how it handles big high-res media (1080p with high frame rates / low compression).
I haven't gotten a chance to get to that yet (namely because all my higher bit rates files are ISO's which aren't supported any way), if you have any higher bit rate samples feel free to pass a link (I never rip MKVs past 20 mbps).
Mcklain wrote:
May 31st, 2012 6:57 pm
Anyone know if it supports Dolby True-HD /DTS Master?
Apparently no go for the pass through, I have been also looking for reports about other android devices, and it seems people are just thrilled with the fact they can hear audio from DD/DTS rips (i.e. down mix), its a bummer honestly, but seems to be a limitation of Android as far as I can tell.

BTW, I was told that DD/DTS is supported by the hardware but disabled on the kernel level for licensing issues being currently worked out by AML.
WontonNoodle wrote:
May 31st, 2012 7:28 pm
can't wait to see how it compares to aios and pbo, thanks!
If you don't mind the obvious limitations (most notably lack of multichannel pass through and no ISO support), its a purchase worthy serious consideration.
anon_s wrote:
May 31st, 2012 7:30 pm
If this had optical audio out then I'd be all over this, sadly it doesnt hence I have to pass.
I hear you, I guess someone thinks its time for us to move on :( (I did last week with an HDMI receiver just to find I can only get stereo out of this box).
sbermunk wrote:
May 31st, 2012 9:06 pm
I'd really like to know how good the apps support is. Full access to the android store? Does the Netflix app work properly for instance?
I didn't miss a single app of mine (I move the same set of apps on all my Android devices using Titanium Backup), the only "non-compatible" app (according to the market) was "CNN tablet edition" (but since side loading is supported I don't see the market availability being an issue at all).
arm2000 wrote:
May 31st, 2012 10:12 pm
I've just realized you are now moderator. Congratulations!! And keep up the good work.
bylo wrote:
May 31st, 2012 10:32 pm
Note from their description, "Powered by Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and can be upgrade-able to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) via firmware update." I'm not sure if the underlined part is a grammatical error or an indication that they're not really sure if it can be upgraded.
I don't think they have a clue, but I do know .. the fact is I have been running ICS on the XIOS exactly 5 hours after it was out of the box.
sbermunk wrote:
May 31st, 2012 11:41 pm
I saw a message on the Pivos forums stating that 4.0 isn't quite ready for release yet, but should be soon.
I need to do some minor tweaking but it should be ready by the next weekend.
Clee wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 2:50 pm
Can I install the PPS.TV app on it to watch Chinese movies?
Feel free to send me the market link, will report back.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2437 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I am waiting for the review as well. I am glad that I didn't buy the old version. This one looks so much nicer + Android 2.3 which is a big +
Jan 3, 2004
143 posts
21 upvotes
Well, I picked one up to try today. So far, unfortunately, I have to say I'm not impressed one bit, and I will be returning it.
I think they just went with an underpowered CPU...

My tests were run streaming from my fileserver - I haven't tried playing from a memory card or whatnot.
Most of my high-res MKV files won't play at all. Given the other problems with the unit, I'm not motivated to figure out why. (Tried all the stock video players that came with the unit.)
One of my test 1080p/24 clips would load and play, but the poor little machine just could not keep up - the best player would play for a few seconds, then hang for a few seconds, and so on. A couple of random lower-res (DVD) MKV files I tried worked fine.

The Netflix app loads and runs, but actual video playback is pretty awful. Blocky and stuttery, at best. It did sort of work though. I wouldn't want to watch it, I'm afraid.

A lot of things just didn't seem to work with the remote. I had to plug a mouse in to accomplish much. For instance, I couldn't accept the Android Market terms and conditions without plugging in the mouse.

The quality of the remote doesn't give me much confidence that it would last very long.

Almost everything on the unit is pretty sluggish. The on-screen keyboard is rather painful to use.

Perhaps I will wait a week to see if ICS is released quickly - possibly the video acceleration support in ICS will make some difference, I don't know. But out of the box, my conclusion is that it is a great idea ruined by an underpowered CPU, sad to say.

Edit: check my post further on regarding ICS - it's a BIG improvement, though still not perfect.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
235 upvotes
sbermunk wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 3:19 am
My tests were run streaming from my fileserver - I haven't tried playing from a memory card or whatnot.
Most of my high-res MKV files won't play at all. Given the other problems with the unit, I'm not motivated to figure out why. (Tried all the stock video players that came with the unit.)
One of my test 1080p/24 clips would load and play, but the poor little machine just could not keep up - the best player would play for a few seconds, then hang for a few seconds, and so on. A couple of random lower-res (DVD) MKV files I tried worked fine.
Yikes. I do not like what I'm reading.
Perhaps I will wait a week to see if ICS is released quickly - possibly the video acceleration support in ICS will make some difference, I don't know. But out of the box, my conclusion is that it is a great idea ruined by an underpowered CPU, sad to say.
I really hope it's just an issue with video acceleration support rather than AIOS choosing an under-powered cpu for their first Android player. :(
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Jun 25, 2009
17 posts
4 upvotes
sbermunk wrote:
Well, I picked one up to try today. So far, unfortunately, I have to say I'm not impressed one bit, and I will be returning it.

Most of my high-res MKV files won't play at all. Given the other problems with the unit, I'm not motivated to figure out why. (Tried all the stock video players that came with the unit.)xp

The Netflix app loads and runs, but actual video playback is pretty awful. Blocky and stuttery, at best. It did sort of work though. I wouldn't want to watch it, I'm afraid.

I've been looking at something to replace my current setup at home (SageTV with Sage HD300's) and had this in my NCIX shopping card ready to go and try out. Glad I saw your post before I pulled the trigger. I wanted to use it as a Plex Client and for Netflix access. Thanks for letting us know your experience.

JM
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11277 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
sbermunk wrote:

A lot of things just didn't seem to work with the remote. I had to plug a mouse in to accomplish much. For instance, I couldn't accept the Android Market terms and conditions without plugging in the mouse.

The quality of the remote doesn't give me much confidence that it would last very long.

Almost everything on the unit is pretty sluggish. The on-screen keyboard is rather painful to use.

Too bad you had such difficulty with the unit.

Were you streaming via wired or wireless? What playback were you using before getting the Xios? How is the speed of the UI compared to your previous player?

I have the Aios right now and I really like it. All I use mine for is 1080p/24 playback with HD audio and flacs.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12485 posts
1742 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 8:27 am
I doubt the player wouldn't support files > 4gb. Players have supported ntfs and hfs+ for a while.
Has anyone tested this on this particular unit? The reason I ask is because Android doesn't natively support either NTFS or HFS+, or exFAT for that matter. It has to be added in via 3rd party support. Consequently, most Android devices don't support files greater than 4 GB in size.

Mind you, the fact that it's Android 2.3 would be a deal killer for me anyway, even if sbermunk's review weren't so negative.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11277 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 9:15 am
Has anyone tested this on this particular unit? The reason I ask is because Android doesn't natively support either NTFS or HFS+, or exFAT for that matter. It has to be added in via 3rd party support. Consequently, most Android devices don't support files greater than 4 GB in size.

Mind you, the fact that it's Android 2.3 would be a deal killer for me anyway, even if sbermunk's review weren't so negative.

Good point. I should have thought about that too since I also use a Mac.
× < >