XS Cargo - New Return Policy

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2013 9:42 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 9, 2009
6 posts

XS Cargo - New Return Policy

XS Cargo has decided to make all sales final, no refunds, no store credit. They only allow exchange for the same product even if the certain product sucks. :mad: This includes all everything in the store including electronics. For a store that sells crappy refurbished products, this is quite funny.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12750 posts
3649 upvotes
Mizinator wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 1:48 am
XS Cargo has decided to make all sales final, no refunds, no store credit. They only allow exchange for the same product even if the certain product sucks. :mad: This includes all everything in the store including electronics. For a store that sells crappy refurbished products, this is quite funny.

Would you expect anything less?

Let's face it, mostly what they sell are items that are refurb'ed or end of life. They have most likely have no guarantee with the vendor to take back defective items, and as such pay a low price for them. The savings are then passed on to the customer.

We've become too spoiled with companies like Costco that will take anything back, for any reason, after extremely long periods of time.
Jan 7, 2009
568 posts
it's been policy for quite some time here , We bought one of those bed in the bags there , it was completely fubared . My wife and I went back to either refund it or exchange it . They informed me about that policy , i said well exchange in for a good one on the floor or i will just do a charge back on my mastercard . We got the exchange and opened at least 15 bed in a bags all over the isle to make sure we got or 90 bucks worth lol . I haven't been back since
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6229 posts
444 upvotes
Victoria
I haven't shopped at XS cargo a long time ago and this was their policy as well. I've tried to avoid the last few years though.

I do recall a friend of mine saying they had a policy where you could pay extra money (like a future shop extended warantee) and then you could bring it back.

with what xscargo sales this is to be expected
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
no surprised.
They've had that policy on the Keele + Lawrence location at least 2 years now.

interestingly the company also trades in the market, XSC.UN
at about a dime. Which indicates that they may not be around in a few years.
Dec 21, 2008
251 posts
157 upvotes
I understand that you get what you pay for but you ARE paying for a working useable product. If the seller isnt' selling this, he's in violation of your purchasing contract.
Logistics and Recreation Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

PM me for information about Inline Hockey or if you have any Inline Hockey/Skating questions!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
Its always been their policy, but if you raise a stink they'll do an exchange for you.

Bought an mp3 player there, it didn't work, and was able to get credit.

But never ever ever buy anything for more than $30 there, its all junk. You get what you pay for.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
mat2312 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 11:31 am
I understand that you get what you pay for but you ARE paying for a working useable product. If the seller isnt' selling this, he's in violation of your purchasing contract.
But are you?

And for that matter, how do you define usable? You won't find any claim in the store that anything they sell is specifically suited for any purpose. Your concept of a "purchasing contract" doesn't quite wash here since nowhere do we establish the suitability of the product in question for any specific purpose.

XScargo make it perfectly clear that it's up to the buyer to determine that what they're buying works as _they_ expect it to before paying for it. That's pretty easy for a frying pan but no so easy for a VCR, DVD player or camera.

Personally, I haven't bought anything electronic worth more than $20 at XScargo in years because of their return policy. If a $20 DVD player packs it in in a couple of months, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. The only time I'll break that rule is if it's something I'm capable of repairing myself -- and these days with all the LSI electronics out there, that's happening less and less.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
Pete Jones wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 11:48 am
But are you?

And for that matter, how do you define usable? You won't find any claim in the store that anything they sell is specifically suited for any purpose. Your concept of a "purchasing contract" doesn't quite wash here since nowhere do we establish the suitability of the product in question for any specific purpose.

XScargo make it perfectly clear that it's up to the buyer to determine that what they're buying works as _they_ expect it to before paying for it. That's pretty easy for a frying pan but no so easy for a VCR, DVD player or camera.

Personally, I haven't bought anything electronic worth more than $20 at XScargo in years because of their return policy. If a $20 DVD player packs it in in a couple of months, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. The only time I'll break that rule is if it's something I'm capable of repairing myself -- and these days with all the LSI electronics out there, that's happening less and less.

--Pete
The other guy was right. You can't sell a brick in a box and call it a VCR. There is some basic buyer's rights that things they buy actually work for their intended purpose.
Jul 1, 2009
150 posts
24 upvotes
its low prices for low quality products

what do u expect?

i've bought a cpl random mp3 players from there and even though they ALL dont work any more, i still got what i paid for

the only thing ive bought from there that as still useful is a door mirror :lol:

i do believe that you should be able to return at item, if you buy it take it home open it and it doesnt work.

if that happened to me i would definately cause a storm in the store until they replaced it
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Impossibles wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 12:05 pm
The other guy was right. You can't sell a brick in a box and call it a VCR. There is some basic buyer's rights that things they buy actually work for their intended purpose.
That's misrepresentation. A Brick is not a VCR, but if you show me the brick and call it a VCR, and I still to want to buy it, then I might not have a chance to challenge you about it later.

However, if the seller is selling a VCR with a TV tuner on an "as is" basis, if all I need is a TV Tuner but the VCR doesn't work, then it works for my purposes. Likewise, if I only need the VCR but the tuner doesn't work, it's still fine.

I may be getting petty here, but the point is, at least in Ontario, unless the seller explicitly states that returns are allowed, the seller is under no obligation to accept a defective product.

But having said all that, I'd like to be proven wrong. Can you point me a link to these "buyers rights?"

--Pete
Mar 27, 2007
942 posts
Toronto
Pete Jones wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 1:16 pm

I may be getting petty here, but the point is, at least in Ontario, unless the seller explicitly states that returns are allowed, the seller is under no obligation to accept a defective product.

--Pete
I think it's the other way around. They must explicitly stated that no refund/exchange allowed.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
branat wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 6:29 pm
I think it's the other way around. They must explicitly stated that no refund/exchange allowed.
Hate to break it to you, but the government disagrees with you.

http://www.gov.on.ca/mgs/en/ConsProt/STEL02_173839.html

Now it's your turn. I showed you my proof. Show me yours. :)

--Pete
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2301 posts
167 upvotes
Alberta
I never shop here because all they sell is crap or refurbished stuff.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2009
6 posts
The manager at the coquitlam store has the worst attitude, he looks like hes gonna kill sumone when he hears the word "refund" :cheesygri
× < >