None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1665 posts
117 upvotes
Paradise

XZILON Yes or No? Paint protection on cars and trucks

I just bought a new 2011 black 4dr ford FX4. They pushed the rust module, paint protection and maintenance package on me after I got done hammering out the final price. I turned down the rust module, as I read its a total ripoff. I don't see how their legally allowed to sell something that does not work.

I got the maintenance package, it was 1600ntax for 5 yrs, 100000kms and included all maintenance including brakes. Seeing I just had to put 660 dollars in rear brakes and calipers and rotors and emerg brakes on my old truck to pass inspection, I see it as money in the bank.

But I took the xzilone paint protection they offered. I watched the youtube vids and thought it was a great product. The ones with the can of spray paint. I since have done some reading and am not sure If I should have got it. Some say its a scam, some say its great. My dealership warranties it for 10 years, which is strange cus the website guarantees it for only 5.

Anyway, I can see it being good for what it does, keeps stuff from sticking. Its not a paint protector as such, but for bugs and tar and tree sap and bird droppings and ease of cleaning, it should be worth the 400 dollars i paid.

Heres my question, if paint dont' stick, how can you paint the truck if a section gets damaged? And if I get a scratch that I want to buff out or apply black wax too, it seems that would be a problem?

Anybody here have it applied to their car with any comments or observations? I also have a new black escape that is leased, so thats gunna get a neglected life, but we will see how the cleaning differs from one to the other.

thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1983 posts
173 upvotes
Ancaster
XZILON is a good paint sealant but it won't do what they say it does, and it sure isn't worth $400.

The Ford dealer I dealt with suggested it as well and I researched it and concluded it was a rip-off.

You can buy it from Ebay for under $60 and apply it yourself if you like.

I did my research and opted for getting a pro detailer to apply a semi-permanent sealant to my truck.

It's called Optimum Opti-Guard if you get the product that is sold only to detailers.

If you want the version you can apply yourself, it's called Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0.

There is a whole thread on the product.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/opti-coat-2-a-1113729/
Jan 18, 2010
380 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I have done work for 4 different car companies, and there are a zillion different choices (that was a pun). I have used the paint sealant (Symtec) diamond coat and some other brand. Many of the dealerships are the same. Warrantee covers them reapplying the sealant, you pay for the labour. The real issue is the cost of the material, which they pay for (and make a big deal about it) is very small. There are a tonne of other options that will give you 2 years, maybe more. Opticoating, which was stated, CQuartz, Gtechniq C1, Aquartz, ect ect. There are even more than that, I just have a poor memory for names. Dealerships will always be more expensive as they have most people on a high of buying a new car and can slide stuff like that in there. There is actual emotion studies on buying a car.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, getting the vehicle detailed every year is way better than any paint protectant they can put on. All thse things are a waste of money.
But, you got it now. :(
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
nothing beats going to a pro detailer to have your vehicles done once a year.
they will remove all the swirls, correct the paint, polish and wax, interior shampoo it for you.
I remembered for the civic it was 200 bucks on a local group buy. My buddy with the murano paid 350 because there was dog hair and other extras he wanted done. :)
those one time application might last a year or two
if the dealer offered a lifetime time motor oil for 400 dollars would you buy it? you never need to change your oil again. lol!
Aug 14, 2009
317 posts
56 upvotes
I got it too. I'm not sure if it works or not. I am uncertain as to whether It is possible to apply wax and whatnot... and It would be my preference to have it detailed every year or possible two but I hope having this stuff doesn't preclude that.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1983 posts
173 upvotes
Ancaster
WalmartMartyr wrote:
Dec 14th, 2011 8:29 pm
Dammit!
See if you can bow out of the Xzilon and offer to buy an accessory instead. I got the Linex spray in bed and love it.

Or you could look at the Ford Hard folding tonneau cover made by BakFlip.

If they'll do that then you can get one of the detailers on this forum to apply the Opti-Coat to your truck.
× < >