Computers & Electronics

Yamaha 7.2 Channel Network 3D Receiver (HTR8063B) - Comments please?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2012 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary

Yamaha 7.2 Channel Network 3D Receiver (HTR8063B) - Comments please?

Hey guys,
I don't know much about receivers, but am looking at this one. I don't have one currently, but looking to pair this with a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers.

Receiver:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 4104deen02

Speakers (if anyone wants to see the specs)
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=12847

I'll be using the Optical out to go to the speakers, which is one of the reasons I'm buying this receiver. I think it's a bit more than I need right now, but I do have some FS gift cards to use up, and thought that this receiver should last me for now, and (I think) for a lot of years to come. Does anyone have any comments, pros/cons of this receiver?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

d
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3229 posts
328 upvotes
With the Z-5500, you don't need the receiver since it can decode the older DD/DTS audio formats and has built-in amplification and has optical and coaxial connections you can connect directly to the source.

However, since it appears that you have a decent budget for HT, instead of the the Logitech speakers, you should look into real speakers (Energy, Polk, etc) which would offer significantly better audio quality which could be paired with the 8063. I would even recommend a lower level and cheaper receiver and using the difference on the speakers.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
That's a reasonable point about getting better speakers, though I'm pretty happy what I have for now.
I currently have the DVD player hooked up to the speakers, but would like to be able to hook up the games systems, have use of radio, etc.
I was thinking of buying this for now (and the future), using the speakers I have currently (and are happy with), and then at some point, upgrading the speakers.
I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing anything with this receiver, etc.
So it's more about being able to use the speakers with more devices, and ensuring that I will still have a good receiver a few years down the road if/when I upgrade the speakers.

On a side note, an old roommate of mine had a Sony setup, that had some sort of 'night/quiet' mode. With the flick of a button, he could be watching an action movie, and while the dialog and everything was very clear/loud, the explosions, etc were there, but muted. Is that a common feature? I know you could manually adjust the base, etc, but I liked that he could do it with one mode, rather than manually adjusting all the time.

Thank you, any additional thoughts and comments are welcomed too!

d
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3087 posts
404 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
nightslide wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 2:56 pm
That's a reasonable point about getting better speakers, though I'm pretty happy what I have for now.
I currently have the DVD player hooked up to the speakers, but would like to be able to hook up the games systems, have use of radio, etc.
I was thinking of buying this for now (and the future), using the speakers I have currently (and are happy with), and then at some point, upgrading the speakers.
I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing anything with this receiver, etc.
So it's more about being able to use the speakers with more devices, and ensuring that I will still have a good receiver a few years down the road if/when I upgrade the speakers.

On a side note, an old roommate of mine had a Sony setup, that had some sort of 'night/quiet' mode. With the flick of a button, he could be watching an action movie, and while the dialog and everything was very clear/loud, the explosions, etc were there, but muted. Is that a common feature? I know you could manually adjust the base, etc, but I liked that he could do it with one mode, rather than manually adjusting all the time.

Thank you, any additional thoughts and comments are welcomed too!

d

I'm pretty sure my 5.1 Sherwood receiver I bought a couple of months ago has night mode too. Obviously I've never tried it but you post has reminded me to see how well it works!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
No one connects Z-5500 to a mid-end receiver....just wrong. Been there, done that. I have connected the Z-5500 satellites to a real AV receiver and all I can say is the sounded better than they look :) :)
You can't easily connect the sub even if you want to. There is nothing to do with optical connection. This is NOT how you connect.
Seriously, DON'T!

If you're not using discrete 5.1 input on the Z-5500, you actually can connect 5 devices (2 digital and 3 analog stereo) and you're rock and roll.

$700 is serious budget for a whole set of entry level sound system. Keep hunting RFD deals. Don't get into these new receiver until you're HDMI ready...then ditch the Z-5500 and don't look back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
Hi again, thanks for the PM

Basically, the Z-5500 is a 'home theater in box' and the subwoofer/control pod is the receiver with the sub integrated. Since the subwoofer is integrated, it is not a standard connection to a regular AV receiver.

An AV receiver takes HDMI, optical, coax, analog; it outputs to passive speakers and powered subwoofers with selectable video of course.

The receiver you listed is mid/high-end consumer receiver and is actually more expensive than my most expensive receiver which is the RXV667 (HTR6063). It is a total waste using it on Z-5500 speakers IMHO. If you're to use a receiver, you only connect the speakers and not the control pod anymore.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
Hi again, and thank you for all your input.
I agree with your points, the one thing I would like clarification on is, can I use the Optical Output has (the 8063 has optical output, Optical (Toslink) Outputs1, I don't know if your 8063 does) to output the sound into the z5500 control box.
I realize this is redundant, basically going from on AVR to another AVR, and is a waste for now.
But only for now. I was able to use some gift cards from friends, so was able to get it for $300.
Later on, down the line, I will upgrade the speakers to make better use of the receiver, but I'm very confident that this receiver will last me a lot of years, as it seems it will do everything I want and more.

So, with the understanding that this is a waste of the receiver (for now), that is, not making use of it's capabilities, will I be able to output from the Toslink output of the receiver, to the Optical Input of the Control Box of the z5500, and get sound.
It's redundant, but it's only temporary.

If it won't work, I'll need to return it. If it will work, but will be foolish in the short term, but it will work, I'm fine with that.

I really hope that none of this comes across as snarky, it's not intended to, I'm just a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff, and so I do very much appreciate your help.
Being that you've got the 6063, I'm quite hoping I may be able to ask you for suggestions/advice about the receiver once in a while.

Thanks very much for your help.

d
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
nightslide wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2012 3:47 pm
Hi again, and thank you for all your input.
I agree with your points, the one thing I would like clarification on is, can I use the Optical Output has (the 8063 has optical output, Optical (Toslink) Outputs1, I don't know if your 8063 does) to output the sound into the z5500 control box.
I realize this is redundant, basically going from on AVR to another AVR, and is a waste for now.
But only for now. I was able to use some gift cards from friends, so was able to get it for $300.
Later on, down the line, I will upgrade the speakers to make better use of the receiver, but I'm very confident that this receiver will last me a lot of years, as it seems it will do everything I want and more.

So, with the understanding that this is a waste of the receiver (for now), that is, not making use of it's capabilities, will I be able to output from the Toslink output of the receiver, to the Optical Input of the Control Box of the z5500, and get sound.
It's redundant, but it's only temporary.

If it won't work, I'll need to return it. If it will work, but will be foolish in the short term, but it will work, I'm fine with that.

I really hope that none of this comes across as snarky, it's not intended to, I'm just a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff, and so I do very much appreciate your help.
Being that you've got the 6063, I'm quite hoping I may be able to ask you for suggestions/advice about the receiver once in a while.

Thanks very much for your help.

d

Ok, I see what you're trying to do now and why you pick this particular more expensive receiver.
I suppose the answer is yes for your unique situation that calls for it.
Unfortunately, the sound is going to be absolutely no better. Connecting the satellite speakers directly to the receiver will maximize the potential of the satellite speakers because of the calibration/equalization.
You can still connect the subwoofer 'indirectly' to the receiver via the control pod with RCA-to-miniplug. That, IMHO, is the correct way. On top of that, a much cheaper receiver that goes on sale for $4-500 will more than satisfy your need.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
I agree, it's an unique situation, but I do have one question. Why would I connect it via mini plug, when I can go with the optical from the receiver to the control pod?
Wouldn't that provide a more... lossless sound transfer?

I'm actually quite happy with the sound of the speakers so far, it's really the extra connections I'm after at this point. Down the road when I upgrade the speakers, I'll be set.

Thank you again for all your help!

d
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
There is distinct advantage connecting speakers directly to the receiver's output for auto calibration.

The sub output on receivers is just a RCA (coaxial) connection so simple good RCA cable will work and this is the way to turn the Z-5500 sub into a regular sub. I don't know if the optical will do it or not or how much calibration/adjustment is allowed.

If I were to pay $700, I would not want to remain several leagues below.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
Fair point. Only reason for my not wanting to run the cables is because the entertainment centre, which I have had for years, and love, is sadly not designed to make it easy to run cables behind it. It's a cabinet style.
If you're just initially setting it up, it wouldn't be too bad. But now that it's full, you have to run things all the way from the top of the cabinet, and lower them down.
I believe we'll be moving within a year or so, so I think I'll set it up 'poorly' for now, and then do a proper job when we're in the new house.

Thank you again for all your assistence, I'll keep you posted on how my Frankenstereo works.

;)

d
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
nightslide wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2012 12:01 pm
Fair point. Only reason for my not wanting to run the cables is because the entertainment centre, which I have had for years, and love, is sadly not designed to make it easy to run cables behind it. It's a cabinet style.
If you're just initially setting it up, it wouldn't be too bad. But now that it's full, you have to run things all the way from the top of the cabinet, and lower them down.
I believe we'll be moving within a year or so, so I think I'll set it up 'poorly' for now, and then do a proper job when we're in the new house.

Thank you again for all your assistence, I'll keep you posted on how my Frankenstereo works.

;)

d
Would the Z-5500's 5 inputs be enough (2 digital and 3 stereo analog) ? You can also get RF switches to select COAX input so you can switch between 2 digital COAXs.

LOL! I am trying to save you money and maybe solicit a thank or two.

Seriously, $700 is a lot of money and actually enough $ for a decent HTIB package or combo that blows Z-5500 out of the water.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
336 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
(blush) Thanked! My apologies for not doing so previously.
As mentioned, I'm actually getting this for $300, as using gift cards given to me through work.
Like I said, I do consider the receiver to be an investment for the future. I've looked at a few HDMI switches, and found a very nice one on Monoprice that would allow me to output to digital to the z5500.
Problem is, when I do buy a 'proper' set of speakers, that switch is wasted money.
Perfectly happy to spend the money for something that will give me years of service.
And while you consider the z5500 to be low end speakers, I have been very, very happy with them. My roommate had a terrific sound system that he paid considerably more than my setup, and I really noticed no difference in sound quality. Again, I'm sure for someone who had 20/20 hearing would, but with my crappy ears, I didn't.

Like I said, this is an investment in a (I think/hope) a great reciever now, at a price ($300) that I'm comfortable with, and at some point down the road I'll invest in perhaps better speakers. After discussing this with you, and you've given me a lot to consider, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision, and have some ideas how to proceed when I move (ie hooking the sattellites to the receiver directly when we move, as well as how to hook up the subwoofer (i think).

Thanks vey much for your help, it has been great, and much appreciated.

d
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7202 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
nightslide wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2012 6:06 pm
(blush) Thanked! My apologies for not doing so previously.
As mentioned, I'm actually getting this for $300, as using gift cards given to me through work.
Like I said, I do consider the receiver to be an investment for the future. I've looked at a few HDMI switches, and found a very nice one on Monoprice that would allow me to output to digital to the z5500.
Problem is, when I do buy a 'proper' set of speakers, that switch is wasted money.
Perfectly happy to spend the money for something that will give me years of service.
And while you consider the z5500 to be low end speakers, I have been very, very happy with them. My roommate had a terrific sound system that he paid considerably more than my setup, and I really noticed no difference in sound quality. Again, I'm sure for someone who had 20/20 hearing would, but with my crappy ears, I didn't.

Like I said, this is an investment in a (I think/hope) a great reciever now, at a price ($300) that I'm comfortable with, and at some point down the road I'll invest in perhaps better speakers. After discussing this with you, and you've given me a lot to consider, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision, and have some ideas how to proceed when I move (ie hooking the sattellites to the receiver directly when we move, as well as how to hook up the subwoofer (i think).

Thanks vey much for your help, it has been great, and much appreciated.

d

Well, for $300 by all means as this is the price point I look at for decent receiver WHEN ON A GOOD SALE! eg the Pioneer VSX-1021K for $299 USD for newegg.com

This Yamaha is way more receiver than the 1021K and it happens to have that optical output connection that may well work and tie you over for now. I just wasn't sure if you're paying $300 because you have $400 credit or you get just get it for $300. If you pay $300 and that's all, heck jump on now and think later. You can't go wrong going the receiver route.

I also totally agree with you 'retrofiting' gadgets, switches for outdated gear is generally not a good idea as that gadget will eventually become useless.
× < >