Shopping Discussion

Yamaha Home Audio System for $350? Good?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2004 9:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2004
2 posts

Yamaha Home Audio System for $350? Good?

I noticed that there is going to be a deal on a 5 piece Yamaha home audio system for $350. Looks to be a 600 Watt 5.1 system with receiver (no DVD). Does anyone know if this is going to be a good price and if Yamaha home audio is any good?

Thanks.
5 replies
Aug 8, 2004
68 posts
1 upvote
Yamaha is known for good quality receivers. They're generally considered better quality than the Sony's and others in that price range. I don't know about their speakers though.

For a cheap receiver, Yamaha's are a very good value.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3504 posts
433 upvotes
The sound quality is not the greatest IMO.The satellites are not very good quality and produces a very flat sound.The high frequencies in music and in movies are terrible even with the treble all the way up.I don't think there are tweeters in the satellites but they are really needed in my opinion.The sub does a very good job with the bass though and the receiver seems to be fairly good for a entry level receiver.If the satellites were upgraded to something different it would probably sound much better.I have a set of Creative Megaworks 550's and a M Audio Revolution sound card on my computer and this setup produces far superior sound compared to what the Yamaha 150S system produces.I bought the Yamaha 150S a little while ago but if I had to do it all over again,I would have bought either the Logitech Z680 or Logitech Z5500 digital computer speakers and used that with my DVD player instead of buying a mid priced home theater in a box system.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1956 posts
2 upvotes
Anyone who criticizes speakers using the term flat when referring to speakers
is a doofus. Speakers are supposed to be flat when rendering notes.
That is the sign of a great system- NOT changing the notes but rendering an
accurate rendition of the notes played. If you want to alter the notes that's
what an equalizer/tone controls are for. ;)
As far as I know everything Yamaha makes is first class all the way.
I have a 5.1 Yamaha surround sound speaker system and it sounds FANTASTIC!
:cheesygri

Here's some reviews from epinions

Yamaha Reviews from Epinions
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
22 upvotes
Sask
Maybe it was just a poor choice of words, one might call a speaker's sound 'flat' and mean 'bland'. I have nothing bad to say about Yamaha receivers but the Yamaha speakers I've checked out were definitely 'bland'.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3504 posts
433 upvotes
Maybe "flat" was a bad choice of words and "bland" is a more accurate way to describe the sound,but lets try this word.They SUCK!!!The speakers included do a terrible job with the high frequencies.I just added a pair of 3 way floor speakers as fronts and it sounds so much better.The highs are much crisper compared to the bland sound of the speaker package included with the Yamaha 150S system.I can't compare the sound to other Yamaha systems and maybe they sound different,but in my opinion the sound with the Yamaha 150S is not the greatest with the speakers included.Sorry if I offended you Spent.Maybe I am a doofus :cheesygri .Is that a good thing BTW? :confused: I only added a actual users opinion of the Yamaha 150S system and that I was a little disappointed with the sound quality.Tough crowd!! Happy Holiday's everyone