• Nov 14th, 2007 8:30 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2005
772 posts
25 upvotes
KW

Are yellow fog lights legal in Ontario?

Are yellow fog lights legal in Ontario? I can't seem to find a source that states the rules.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1094 posts
13 upvotes
The front of the car can be yellow/amber or white (headlight).
So yes it is LEGAL! Look at some of the OEM fog lights on cars like the some Lexus which has yellow fog lights.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
1337 posts
Toronto
Yes they are, yellow bulbs in foglights is legal, yellow film on foglights is legal.
Normal halogen bulbs are yellow, not too much difference there, yellow film on foglights just make them appear yellow which is not illegal either.

Many cars come stock with yellow foglights, which basically clears up anything. Heck mine have 3000K HID's in my fogs..bright yellow. No problems.

It's colors that are not white or yellow that are the problem as they are the same as emergency vehicles.etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5021 posts
6 upvotes
Amber or orange for turn signals and yellow/white for headlights is what I've read somewhere but I don't think it says anything officially about fog light color. I'm pretty sure it's acceptable because a lot of cars nowadays come with fog lights especially yellow ones (ie. Lexus)
Mar 2, 2006
816 posts
18 upvotes
Ontario Highway Traffic Act (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK110)

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).
Dec 2, 2005
925 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
astroboi wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 7:40 am
Ontario Highway Traffic Act (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK110)

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).
So it's illegal to have a burnt front lamp but you only need 1 brake light?? :confused:
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
SaraLee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 1:23 am
Are yellow fog lights legal in Ontario? I can't seem to find a source that states the rules.
yellow fog lights are definitely legal!
for a while, i've had yellow fogs and yellow headlamps on my previous car...

the old Lexus IS300, Infiniti QX4, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Previa, BMW 3 series (old school) all came w/ yellow fog lights.

yellow fog liights DO serve a purpose, cuz yellow light cuts through fogs,
but white light will rebound back when shining at small particals in the fog...
(correct me if i'm wrong please)
[OP]
Feb 28, 2005
772 posts
25 upvotes
KW
Thanks everyone for their input!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13263 posts
226 upvotes
Midland
SaraLee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 1:23 am
On cars, of course they are. Years ago, people only installed yellow fog lights (that's the only type of fog lights there were basically).
You can see better in fog with the yellow lights, but car makes seem to want to go with "cool" looks over functionality.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15580 posts
507 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
woodstock827 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 10:35 am
So it's illegal to have a burnt front lamp but you only need 1 brake light?? :confused:
according to the MTO, yes that is correct.
SaraLee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 2:12 pm
Thanks everyone for their input!
you're welcome.
PC IS MASTER RACE!
( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
VAPE NATION \//\
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
"Heck mine have 3000K HID's in my fogs"

Hmm I don't think I've ever seen HIDs as fog lights, maybe aftermarket, but that would be a waste of money.

What type of car?

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
1337 posts
Toronto
googoo wrote:
Nov 14th, 2007 7:18 pm
"Heck mine have 3000K HID's in my fogs"

Hmm I don't think I've ever seen HIDs as fog lights, maybe aftermarket, but that would be a waste of money.

What type of car?

Brent
Yes aftermarket, Subaru fogs H3 HID bulbs. Bright Yellow.
I like it, don't really care if someone else thinks it is a waste of money. JDM HID's for headlights(so stock) why not have all HID's. Halogen pfffft :)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4354 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
I'm using projector D2S HIDs for lowbeams and will be getting 3000K HID fogs hopefully after winter.. and yes, I'm using yellow fogs right now. no problems so far..
ES PRODUCTIONS
Professional Photography Services

#KeepFightingMichael
× < >