Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2007
59 posts
1 upvote
Markham

Yellow Jackets (wasps) in the house

So, here's a really interesting question for you all... for the last couple of years, come this time of year, we find in our house EVERY DAY one or two yellow jackets hanging out on the inside of our house. usually around the porch door or the kitchen. Now, these things are not fiesty, and pretty much look like they are drugged up or something as they are really docile and just crawl every, we just pick them up gently and throw them outside.. but we have NO idea where these things keep coming from or how they get into the house... any ideas???
It's strange because it's only 1 or 2 at a time usually just 1 and on a daily basis. Once the temperature goes down to zero, they disappear completely... we do a have a fireplace we don't use, so not sure if they are coming from there.. but I don't think so... plus the flu is closed and we have a glass door front which is kept shut.

Any ideas?
7 replies
Oct 20, 2003
366 posts
3 upvotes
Waterloo
*Useless response alert*

Maybe it's the same one that keeps coming in... you're just moving him/her outside and obviously this one (or 2) little bugger has figured out a way in :)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4731 posts
1088 upvotes
Kitchener
we had the same thing happening. I found the yellow jacket nest inside the wall of our house last summer, they were getting in around the basement window and vinyl siding. Kept spraying Raid in and around the wall and window for about a week... must of vacuumed up 100-150 or so of dead ones after on the basement floor. Only got stung once :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4224 posts
856 upvotes
Ottawa
They are almost certainly living in your wall, somewhere. In my house they found a home where the refrigerant piping goes through the wall. We tried Raid spray from the outside but that just forced them into the house!

We called an exterminator. The $150 cost was well worth it.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
262 upvotes
Mississauga
Funny, I saw 2 of those exactly like you described in my house today. Based on the room they were in, I'm pretty sure they came in through a gap between the soffit and roof that we have at the back of the house.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
MacGyver wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 6:50 pm
They are almost certainly living in your wall, somewhere. In my house they found a home where the refrigerant piping goes through the wall. We tried Raid spray from the outside but that just forced them into the house!

We called an exterminator. The $150 cost was well worth it.
A few years ago, we awoke one Saturday a.m. to find yellowjackets flying around our living room and flying past us as we made our way to the coffee machine. Our dog was trying to catch them. :eek: Decided thatwas a job for professionals, called them in, the guy suited up in full gear once he found where they were getting into the house and sprayed away. LOL the yellowjackets that the spray hit went crazy. :lol: After that well spent $150, we never saw another one.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
731 upvotes
I know it sounds simplistic, but put your ear to the wall and find out where the hive is located. Then spray them at night when they are sleeping/resting (yes activity decreases).

We just had this problem. Turns out they had made a nest behind the aluminum clading outside our bay window. Since there was only one hole by which they entered, I just waited for night and filled the space with a foam spray. They were trapped and then died. I could hear the plink, plink for hours as they fell against the aluminium.
Dec 10, 2007
324 posts
12 upvotes
pladwa wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 9:52 am
So, here's a really interesting question for you all... for the last couple of years, come this time of year, we find in our house EVERY DAY one or two yellow jackets hanging out on the inside of our house. usually around the porch door or the kitchen. Now, these things are not fiesty, and pretty much look like they are drugged up or something as they are really docile and just crawl every, we just pick them up gently and throw them outside.. but we have NO idea where these things keep coming from or how they get into the house... any ideas???
It's strange because it's only 1 or 2 at a time usually just 1 and on a daily basis. Once the temperature goes down to zero, they disappear completely... we do a have a fireplace we don't use, so not sure if they are coming from there.. but I don't think so... plus the flu is closed and we have a glass door front which is kept shut.

Any ideas?
Yellowjackets only have a year long lifespan, so that's why you'll notice that at this time of the year they'll be in this drugged up, and in this weakened state as they are slowly dying. Same thing with bumblebees.
Drthorne wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 10:18 am
we had the same thing happening. I found the yellow jacket nest inside the wall of our house last summer, they were getting in around the basement window and vinyl siding. Kept spraying Raid in and around the wall and window for about a week... must of vacuumed up 100-150 or so of dead ones after on the basement floor. Only got stung once :lol:
Wonder how healthy spraying Raid is??? Why not just seal the holes where they enter?