• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2015 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
May 2, 2012
291 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
Having driven many Yaris' (Yari?) and Corollas, the Yaris drives similarly; you tend to sit higher up in the Yaris which makes it feel larger than it is.
nomdesplumes wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 3:26 pm
the seller actually was asking 4000 for the yaris, and a set of summer tires on mags. I inspected the whole car from outside to inside and laid out my findings. Lucky that I read rfd automotives with people complaining about rust on the brakes. I told him he needed brakes and showed him the rust, then there was a few dings here and there, plus I threw him the song and dance about his mileage at 136000 will need a timing belt change. I did some research and knew the yaris had a chain and pulled a poker face on him. I offered him 2500 at first and he could keep his summer wheels since the tread depth was thin and he could sell them to some teenage racer for 500. He countered offered 3500 and I pulled out a wad of 30 crisp 100 brownies. I said meet you half way at 3000 and he took the bait. Then we made and signed the purchase contract. Thank you to all them valuable posted on rfd members, that really help me negociate like a king.
THAT is how you negotiate. Nicely done.
"The name of the game is not to get rich, but rather to avoid dying poor." - W.Bernstein, "The Investor's Manifesto"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6810 posts
2720 upvotes
Manual transmissions are best appreciated on small under-powered cars. Thanks for sharing your negotiations too!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8329 posts
911 upvotes
Got to get some top BBS rims on there bro.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
472 upvotes
MONTR
ottofly wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 7:33 pm
Welcome back buddy. Post pictures of the new pizza beast.
Great to be back on rfd, You know I was devoting all my time towards my work and saving money for my yaris.
rumtillidie wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 8:02 pm
Rememeber if you get into an accident it will go straight to the junk yard.
Toyota is a very well known brand famous for quality so I don't think it will be demolished in an accident.
FirstGear wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 10:03 pm
lol for 3 grand who cares
3000 dollars was all I had cash so it was my life savings.
KevC wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 10:36 pm
Sweet, it'll be fun revving that lil 1.5L and banging through the gears. Have fun!
yes after driving it i do notice i need to make the engine scream more before changing to the next gear. The corolla seems to get off from a dead start easily and change gear earlier (no need to make the engine scream). The yaris needs to stomp on the gas from the get go and make her scream until it is loud enough then you change to next gear. I find the yaris is a bit more nimble and easy to manoever around tham damn montreal potholes. I am having fun and next is to learn how to drift like the ballers here in the dashcam thread.
cjottawa wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 11:49 am
Having driven many Yaris' (Yari?) and Corollas, the Yaris drives similarly; you tend to sit higher up in the Yaris which makes it feel larger than it is.

THAT is how you negotiate. Nicely done.
I am not sure if it is higher up for the front of the hood is much shorter when peering in front. Inside it is smaller than the corolla, actually almost everything is smaller like tires, motor, length and width.
Bring hard cold cash to negotiate as they take you more seriously. I notice some sellers do not want a bank draft or go with you to the bank another day. Just deal on the spot with cash and walk away a winner.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1677 posts
624 upvotes
GTA
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 9:24 pm
What is Volks?
When a set of rims cost more than the car itself....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
472 upvotes
MONTR
Akizuki wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 1:48 pm
When a set of rims cost more than the car itself....
i do not think your car insurance would cover that if your wheels costs more than the car.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17465 posts
2230 upvotes
Langley
He said Yaris sedan. That's a totally different car than the Yaris hatchbacks you guys are posting.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3717 posts
3695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nomdesplumes wrote:
plus I threw him the song and dance about his mileage at 136000 will need a timing belt change. I did some research and knew the yaris had a chain and pulled a poker face on him.
Quite a gamble. But since he didn't smell anything at that point, you should've went further and mentioned the overdue blinker fluid change. That's another $100 easily.

http://i.imgur.com/WOC1BuC.jpg

And for the RFDers that haven't been changing it, Youtube is your friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkHqPXwNZ4
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1219 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
OP, how much did you sell your corolla for ?
Jan 17, 2011
208 posts
11 upvotes
I just wanna say Op you are hilarious.... way to go buddy you made me actually laugh out loud

:lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1219 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
"gas guzzling 1.8 ..." :)
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1241 posts
280 upvotes
Woodbridge
nomdesplumes wrote:
the seller actually was asking 4000 for the yaris, and a set of summer tires on mags. I inspected the whole car from outside to inside and laid out my findings. Lucky that I read rfd automotives with people complaining about rust on the brakes. I told him he needed brakes and showed him the rust, then there was a few dings here and there, plus I threw him the song and dance about his mileage at 136000 will need a timing belt change. I did some research and knew the yaris had a chain and pulled a poker face on him. I offered him 2500 at first and he could keep his summer wheels since the tread depth was thin and he could sell them to some teenage racer for 500. He countered offered 3500 and I pulled out a wad of 30 crisp 100 brownies. I said meet you half way at 3000 and he took the bait. Then we made and signed the purchase contract. Thank you to all them valuable posted on rfd members, that really help me negociate like a king.
I pulled out a wad of 30 crisp 100 brownies... best post ever hahah
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4238 posts
367 upvotes
Calgary
Must feel great about yourself paying off something in full cash. No loans, no monthly payments to deal with. I think you scored a great deal. Them Yaris' are no power horse but they offer a lot of value and are very fuel efficient. Congrats.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
My friend you bought one of the best cars in the world.. a very solid and reliable car. I know because my Mom has one and it impressed me, the last good car Toyota ever made.