• Nov 8th, 2006 12:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
What was your ad response on the previous one that you did ?
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
CheapScotsman wrote: What was your ad response on the previous one that you did ?
It was actually pretty good. I didn't do a full scale launch this year, but out of the very few (think it was roughly 1000) I got about 5-6 jobs from the flyers. Some people told their families about it, and I got maybe another 1-2 jobs. I found from last years launch that some people call even 6-8 months later, just because they've kept the flyer and their computer broke at that time, so I'm certain I'll get some more work.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
The final version of the ad looks good, I'd go with that one for sure.

Please do tell us how the ad went, I found that my newspaper/magazine ads don't do as well as other ads. That might be because my business is solely online.
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
cdnNick wrote: The final version of the ad looks good, I'd go with that one for sure.

Please do tell us how the ad went, I found that my newspaper/magazine ads don't do as well as other ads. That might be because my business is solely online.
Thanks!

That's a shame to hear. Online ads work out better for you, or did you use something else for the other ads?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
Its been a mix, last Jan - April my print ads were doing better, now my online ads seem to be doing better. The print ads were better for converting sales.

I have found one thing though the ads I run at the start of my campaign felt very cluttered (to me) but I seemed to get a better response from them then the 2nd batch of ads I tried that were less cluttered (less info as well) so I am going to try a new ad thats somewhere in the middle of my previous attempts. See how that goes, I find its a lot of trial and error to get a good sized ad that says enough info for the view but not too much info that they just scan over it.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
My print ads have varied in size and magazines from 2.25"x2.25" to a vertical postcard size. In black, in one magazine adding colour basically triples the cost of the ad so I don't bother.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Keep in mind that with the smart choice of a spot colour, you can use gradations to get more "colour". For example using spot yellow could give you a green at no extra charge!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnNick wrote: Its been a mix, last Jan - April my print ads were doing better, now my online ads seem to be doing better. The print ads were better for converting sales.

I have found one thing though the ads I run at the start of my campaign felt very cluttered (to me) but I seemed to get a better response from them then the 2nd batch of ads I tried that were less cluttered (less info as well) so I am going to try a new ad thats somewhere in the middle of my previous attempts. See how that goes, I find its a lot of trial and error to get a good sized ad that says enough info for the view but not too much info that they just scan over it.
The response may not be entirely due to the amount of clutter. Timing, frequency and other factors could have contributed to the variance in response rate.

You should try doing 2 ads (cluttered and uncluttered) at the same time in mixed markets to test your ads.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
I never thought of using the spot colour like that, thanks for the idea.

Yeah I gotta play with the ad see what works and what doesn't work.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
The Ad looks okay but I would really be thinking hard about whether you want to offer the 1st half hour free. You may get a lot of free work on your hands.

I'll check the ad more later.
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
CheapScotsman wrote: The Ad looks okay but I would really be thinking hard about whether you want to offer the 1st half hour free. You may get a lot of free work on your hands.

I'll check the ad more later.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but most jobs take at least an hour, and hey, if it only takes me 30 mins, I'll look good and it'll likely get more jobs/referrals from the people I worked with. They'll be a min. $10 travel charge anyways. Thanks for taking a look.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
Canucklehead wrote: You should try doing 2 ads (cluttered and uncluttered) at the same time in mixed markets to test your ads.
I was going to suggest the same thing, around here those coffee house ads are all run by independents in each area.
Oct 26, 2006
5 posts
Hey if you ever need someone to design some goods ads for you, I can do it for 12% less $$$ then your paying now.

Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
jhordan2005 wrote: Hey if you ever need someone to design some goods ads for you, I can do it for 12% less $$$ then your paying now.

Thanks for the offer, but 12% off of $0 and you'd be giving me money :razz:
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
Well, I picked up a copy of the paper yesterday, and I decided that if I want to stand out, I'll have to do something different. I noticed that all the ads were very similar, logo at the top, and blocks of text in the middle. I figure if I put in a few one liners it'll stand out more. Here's what I've got:

[IMG]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3730/ad51tb5.th.gif[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
I read through from my last post to the end and the one that got me thinking was: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... stcount=36

and this is what I ended up with ...

These print ads are more than good enough without some measurable data so how about doing some measurements (some of the advice on this thread earlier was to track clean/messy ads and see which one did the job better)

OR

Are there other areas in your business that you would do better to spend your time than on print ads: update your skill, clean up your accounting, better bill collection, how about introducing monthly service agreements with some of your bigger client; expand your market to include XXX, etc)

OR

better way to spend your Ad dollars; have your painted your service mobile with your logo/contact info? How about using a billboard like the ones on McBride near Canada Games Pool? How about setting up a kiosk at Lougheed Mall this upcoming Christmas season?

----

The gist of it is ... I think your clean Ads are good enough and if they are pulling in enough business to keep you scrambling then great
If they aren't pulling in the business then you need to do some metrics or change your advertising, the ads are way good enough.
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for your reply, CheapScotsman. I've actually been in contact with several places getting quotes on some signage for my car. Don't want to put too much into it though, as I need a new vehicle. And I agree, there's better things I should be spending my time on. I'm just trying to build up my customer base right now.