Personal Finance

Yet another data breach - Transunion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2019 12:01 pm
15 replies
Jul 3, 2019
912 posts
503 upvotes
On one hand, I wasn’t using TU this past summer. On the other..I’m aware TU has our info either way.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5288 upvotes
on the links!
The leak was accessed indirectly through Canadian Western Bank (i.e. one of its divisions).

All you Motive Financial fanboys take note.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1314 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
Sauerkraut wrote: The leak was accessed indirectly through Canadian Western Bank (i.e. one of its divisions).

All you Motive Financial fanboys take note.
Good to know i signed up after the breach.
Aug 1, 2014
357 posts
376 upvotes
Now wait for the company statement with carefully chosen words to come out. They might even throw a complimentary subscription if we’re lucky.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2807 posts
3662 upvotes
Khichdi wrote: Now wait for the company statement with carefully chosen words to come out. They might even throw a complimentary subscription if we’re lucky.
It should be Canadian Western Back that is making the statement - the security breach was via their systems and processes.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
theres no way for these companies to secure them selves?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody else starting to think that breaches are becoming a normal part of life? Sort of like another shooting in the city ... MEH => Well, it is not me or anyone I know, this time, carry on.

It would be nice if somebody made a campaign issue out of these breaches. Promising harsher penalties & greater payouts to those affected, just might get my vote, no matter what party they were.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Oct 10th, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 3, 2019
912 posts
503 upvotes
I just got a Borrowell email about it. Anyone else?

Basically says that they were not affected (duh).
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Class action lawsuit!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Company spokesperson David Blumberg said that while the investigation is ongoing, the company maintains that the fraudulent login was not a failure of its systems.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2807 posts
3662 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Company spokesperson David Blumberg said that while the investigation is ongoing, the company maintains that the fraudulent login was not a failure of its systems.
Well, there was no "hack" or backdoor access it was simply the improper use of a 3rd-party's legitimate login credentials.

However, "failure" can be looked at from the perspective that the authentication mechanisms are procedurally inadequate and lack the ability to ensure that login credentials are actually being used by the individual to whom they belong to (i.e. 2FA, etc).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
robsaw wrote: Well, there was no "hack" or backdoor access it was simply the improper use of a 3rd-party's legitimate login credentials.

However, "failure" can be looked at from the perspective that the authentication mechanisms are procedurally inadequate and lack the ability to ensure that login credentials are actually being used by the individual to whom they belong to (i.e. 2FA, etc).
It's not a breach...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)