Cell Phones

YMMV Koodo adjusting plans to match other carriers. As low as $31 for 500 mins, unlimited text, 2GB of data YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 10:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes

YMMV Koodo adjusting plans to match other carriers. As low as $31 for 500 mins, unlimited text, 2GB of data YMMV

Lots of us purchased brand new Koodo flagship devices over the holidays. Some have cancelled outright and some are on their cheapest plan/seasonal hold for 90 days then plan on cancelling. Koodo is not usually a carrier that you can haggle with. Their prices are usually set with little to no flexibility. I myself and a few others have been able to have our plans adjusted to match or get very close to our existing plans with another carrier. There are some deals you may not be aware of. Not affiliated with Koodo, just trying to pass on savings but this is YMMV for now since we are just seeing signs of flexibility with Koodo. It is not mainstream.

Below anyone can get (for now unless promo ends or they change something)

$2 gets you 250MB of data for those that are on talk and text and need minimal data. It's in their system.
$5 add on to add 1GB to your plan (thanks Balanar08)
Any plan over $40 (for medium and Large tab) you can get $10 off your plan per month for 6 months (with a new device on tab) or for 12 months for BYOD. YMMV on getting 12 months for a new Koodo device, not just BYOD.

Below is YMMV

Some have been able to match Zoomer's 400 min, free after 6 and weekends, unlimited text, usual extras and 2GB of data. It's $36 through Zoomer (Koodo gives you 500 mins, free after 5 to match their standard plan so a little better). Reported as low as $31 through Koodo if you can get it. Not sure if you can add unlimited calling and how much extra it would be, it would depend on the rep. For now it will depend on the rep (possibly) and if you are nice to get this deal at all. Again typically Koodo does not PM plans so it's YMMV. Those that bought new phones, Koodo (looks like) is willing to work with you to keep you as a customer. So before cancelling feel free give it a shot. Obviously there are referral credits to take advantage of as well to further reduce your bill.

Many RFDers got nice cheap devices, let's see if Koodo will work with us on plans also. The purpose of this thread is to share info and bring to everyone's attention Koodo now has some wiggle room on their plans. Myself and a couple of other members past couple of days have reported to be successful. One last time YMMV. Koodo may match other plans from other carriers as well, have your paperwork handy.

If anyone gets a different deal or is aware of other promos feel free to share. Those that get the above plan for $30-$35, makes this a hot deal. Those on a medium or large tab may not be able to take advantage but you should be able to get the $10 off extra per month. Link to Zoomer thread (Note: this promo is reported to be until Jan 8th)

zoomer-wireless-zoomer-unpublicized-dea ... m-2142135/

See attached screenshots. $10 bill credit for 12 months, 2nd is MY plan for $42 - $10 off and 3rd is Zoomer promo screen capture on sale running until Jan 8th, 2018 (may be extended, may not). If Koodo rep wants further proof have them hop on Zoomer chat, this plan price with free phone is available to everyone to my knowledge, Koodo gives you 500 mins instead of 400mins. Ask to speak to Koodo's Retention/customer care/loyalty department, a regular CSR may not be able to help you get any of the above. All a regular CSR can see is what you can see that's available to you on self serve. Retentions will have access to better pricing.
Images
  • Screenshot - 12_30_2017 , 9_17_55 PM.png
  • Screenshot - 12_30_2017 , 9_19_03 PM.png
  • Screenshot - 12_30_2017 , 9_27_25 PM.png
  • Screenshot - 12_31_2017 , 12_58_40 PM.png
Last edited by htauthority on Dec 30th, 2017 4:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
46 replies
Jul 24, 2015
152 posts
81 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 4:35 am
Lots of us purchased brand new Koodo flagship devices over the holidays. Some have cancelled outright and some are on their cheapest plan/seasonal hold for 90 days then plan on cancelling. Koodo is not usually a carrier that you can haggle with. Their prices are usually set with little to no flexibility. I myself and a few others have been able to have our plans adjusted to match or get very close to our existing plans with another carrier. There are some deals you may not be aware of. Not affiliated with Koodo, just trying to pass on savings but this is YMMV for now since we are just seeing signs of flexibility with Koodo. It is not mainstream.

$2 gets you 250MB of data for those that are on talk and text and need minimal data. It's in their system.
Any plan over $40 (for medium and Large tab) you can get $10 off your plan per month for 6 months (with a new device on tab) or for 12 months for BYOD. YMMV on getting 12 months for a new Koodo device, not just BYOD.

Below is YMMV

Some have been able to match Zoomer's 500 min, unlimited text, usual extras and 2GB of data. It's $36 through Zoomer. Reported as low as $31 through Koodo if you can get it. Not sure if you can add unlimited calling and how much extra it would be, it would depend on the rep. For now it will depend on the rep (possibly) and if you are nice to get this deal at all. Again typically Koodo does not PM plans so it's YMMV. Those that bought new phones, Koodo (looks like) is willing to work with you to keep you as a customer. So before cancelling feel free give it a shot. Obviously there are referral credits to take advantage of as well to further reduce your bill.

Many RFDers got nice cheap devices, let's see if Koodo will work with us on plans also. The purpose of this thread is to share info and bring to everyone's attention Koodo now has some wiggle room on their plans. Myself and a couple of other members past couple of days have reported to be successful. One last time YMMV. Koodo may match other plans from other carriers as well, have your paperwork handy.

If anyone gets a different deal or is aware of other promos feel free to share. Those that get the above plan for $30-$35, makes this a hot deal. Those on a medium or large tab may not be able to take advantage but you should be able to get the $10 off extra per month.
Is it unlimited incoming calls evenings and weekends as well?
Dec 13, 2016
80 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
htauthority wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 4:35 am

Below is YMMV

Some have been able to match Zoomer's 500 min, unlimited text, usual extras and 2GB of data. It's $36 through Zoomer. Reported as low as $31 through Koodo if you can get it. Not sure if you can add unlimited calling and how much extra it would be, it would depend on the rep. For now it will depend on the rep (possibly) and if you are nice to get this deal at all. Again typically Koodo does not PM plans so it's YMMV. Those that bought new phones, Koodo (looks like) is willing to work with you to keep you as a customer. So before cancelling feel free give it a shot. Obviously there are referral credits to take advantage of as well to further reduce your bill.

If anyone gets a different deal or is aware of other promos feel free to share. Those that get the above plan for $30-$35, makes this a hot deal. Those on a medium or large tab may not be able to take advantage but you should be able to get the $10 off extra per month.
Are they matching 35% discount for freedom?
FreedomMobile F&F 35% 10gb iPhone 8 64gb.
DakilangMangingibig
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2010
4506 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
I can vouch for OP. I was able to receive the $31 deal. It also qualifies for a Tab S or Tab M if you want to add $10-$15 on top of your plan if you choose to get a new phone.

There's also a $5 add on for an extra 1 gb. So for $36, you can essentially get 3gb of data.
---> Buy With Confidence! Over 80+ Feedback <---
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes
You guys and gals will need to call to see what you can get. Not making promises that's why it's YMMV. Free nights and weekends after 5 to answer the question and as for Freedom, unsure. Not many providers will match Freedom/Wind given their quality of reception in many areas.

Lots of people have a new $500-$1000 device from BF and during Christmas (some deals still active), you know you have the full right/option to cancel no questions asked. This gives you some negotiating power as the consumer, you have the expensive device in your possession already. If Koodo wants to retain you and you have an excellent existing plan that you do not want to give up they obviously will need to work with you to keep you. Be honest, do not try to feed them stories or made up plans.
Oct 14, 2015
736 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto, ON
htauthority wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:57 am
You guys and gals will need to call to see what you can get. Not making promises that's why it's YMMV. Free nights and weekends after 5 to answer the question and as for Freedom, unsure. Not many providers will match Freedom/Wind given their quality of reception in many areas.

Lots of people have a new $500-$1000 device from BF and during Christmas (some deals still active), you know you have the full right/option to cancel no questions asked. This gives you some negotiating power as the consumer, you have the expensive device in your possession already. If Koodo wants to retain you and you have an excellent existing plan that you do not want to give up they obviously will need to work with you to keep you. Be honest, do not try to feed them stories or made up plans.
I agree, however most of the phones were purchased on Tab large, I don't think they will give you the plan unless you agree to pay the full tab balance on the next bill. Since Koodo doesn't have any sort of contract, anyone can leave Koodo anytime making this deal tough to get.
However, I got an iPhone7 opening a second line and my wife is on zoomer, if they downgrade me to tab medium from tab large and match the $45/4GB plan, it may be worth a try to call them.
Galaxy S8 with Koodo $60 10GB plan
Zoomer $45 4GB plan
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:21 am
I agree, however most of the phones were purchased on Tab large, I don't think they will give you the plan unless you agree to pay the full tab balance on the next bill. Since Koodo doesn't have any sort of contract, anyone can leave Koodo anytime making this deal tough to get.
However, I got an iPhone7 opening a second line and my wife is on zoomer, if they downgrade me to tab medium from tab large and match the $45/4GB plan, it may be worth a try to call them.
Anyone can leave which gives you some power as well. You are not locked in or tied down. To retain you as a customer, they will need to work with you. If on large tab, goal would be to pay the $140-$150 extra up front to have them down grade you to a medium tab given you have a $1000 phone.

On tab large as per the OP you can get $10 off. Same for medium tab. Most people (even RFDers) do not know about the $10 off per month. If on tab medium, Koodo has $55, 500 mins, nights and weekends after 5, unlimited text and 3GB of data. If you get the additional $10 off there's $45. The plan is discounted already because you get 2GB of data free so the $10 off extra becomes YMMV. They may even do better, does not hurt to try. You know you can walk away, they know you can walk away. The incentive is on Koodo to retain you.
Dec 13, 2016
80 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
SureshA720227 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:21 am
Let us know if you get it?
FreedomMobile F&F 35% 10gb iPhone 8 64gb.
DakilangMangingibig
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1689 posts
244 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Can anyone give any sort of Zoomer link that can be referred to with Koodo retentions?

The $36 zoomer plan seems to be unadvertised and only has 400minutes?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes
jmatheson64 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 9:04 pm
Can anyone give any sort of Zoomer link that can be referred to with Koodo retentions?

The $36 zoomer plan seems to be unadvertised and only has 400minutes?
See OP, uploading screens now
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1689 posts
244 upvotes
Nova Scotia
htauthority wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 9:29 pm
See OP, uploading screens now
Thanks OP. Zoomer must be detecting my region as the homepage is not displaying that screen to me:
Images
  • zoomer.PNG
Aug 31, 2017
585 posts
143 upvotes
I remember when Koodo did not match others. This is good progress. They even have a loyalty team now out in the Philippines.
Dec 24, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Why am i getting a different offer on my home page? And how would I be able to provide this screenshot as evidence to koodo? I did open a new line on a dif account this past week but have been an active line on another account for 5 years without a tab balance right now, hoping i could convince koodo to give me this deal to stay loyal :)
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1689 posts
244 upvotes
Nova Scotia
bpboop wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:58 pm
Why am i getting a different offer on my home page? And how would I be able to provide this screenshot as evidence to koodo? I did open a new line on a dif account this past week but have been an active line on another account for 5 years without a tab balance right now, hoping i could convince koodo to give me this deal to stay loyal :)
I think OP may have pulled the screenshot from an old thread but cannot be sure. Seems that if you go to Zoomer chat that the CSR can confirm the $36 deal, in which case Koodo can be referred to Zoomer's chat function for what appears to be an unadvertised deal continued from a former black friday deal.

OP seems to have received a better deal from koodo with unlimited minutes for $32 rather than 400min for $36.
Jan 16, 2011
611 posts
120 upvotes
Out There!!!!
I don't see any add on on the website for $5 to add 1GB of data.