Cell Phones

YMMV Koodo adjusting plans to match other carriers. As low as $31 for 500 mins, unlimited text, 2GB of data YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 10:51 pm
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
39 upvotes
thornhill
Its just sad how these companies operate, literally have to beg them to give you a reasonable price. Today these major businesses (ie telecoms, banks, airlines etc) just do not care about loyalty anymore. I would just go with whoever can you the best value for your money. I got tired of playing this loyalty/retention game.
Dec 24, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
frenchtoast wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:31 pm
Its just sad how these companies operate, literally have to beg them to give you a reasonable price. Today these major businesses (ie telecoms, banks, airlines etc) just do not care about loyalty anymore. I would just go with whoever can you the best value for your money. I got tired of playing this loyalty/retention game.
It's insane. Canada is notorious for having horribly overpriced cell phone plans, and it seems like they only get worse and worse. Competition should really drive the prices down yet apparently not.
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
39 upvotes
thornhill
bpboop wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 4:43 pm
It's insane. Canada is notorious for having horribly overpriced cell phone plans, and it seems like they only get worse and worse. Competition should really drive the prices down yet apparently not.
Not just cell phone plans, internet, tv services, air travel, gas, insurance, hydro... BYOD is the best way to go, you have options without being tied down and just switch whenever. I have never signed a contract for a phone in years now and man I saved so much by doing that.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2116 posts
134 upvotes
Scarborough
htauthority wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 1:09 pm
That's their standard $65 plan (minus the 2GB bonus data). Not bad but to do better you do this. If successful you would have unlimited everything with 1GB of data for $30 for 6 months. Avg $35 per month for a year. If you look in the OP the extra $10 off is there so negotiate your best plan then at the end see if they can throw that in for 6 months or 12 months.

To those trying to PM Zoomer plan all Koodo retentions has to do is give you the standard $30 small tab plan. That's it. Then Retentions is adding 2GB of data for 24 months for $1-$2. That's all the deal is in the end.
Actually I just checked my account today and I did do good with retentions. I have attached a screenshot of my new plan:
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 6.07.06 PM.png
Virgin $60 10 GB +2 GB addon, 1000 LD Minutes Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and mms world wide
2 x Koodo $40 3 GB Unlimited Minutes Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and mms world wide
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5089 posts
1706 upvotes
Canada
ninety5teg wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 6:18 pm
Actually I just checked my account today and I did do good with retentions. I have attached a screenshot of my new plan:
That's 3gb for $40 if I read it correctly right? Pretty decent
Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2116 posts
134 upvotes
Scarborough
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 7:25 pm
That's 3gb for $40 if I read it correctly right? Pretty decent
Yes
Virgin $60 10 GB +2 GB addon, 1000 LD Minutes Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and mms world wide
2 x Koodo $40 3 GB Unlimited Minutes Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and mms world wide
Mar 18, 2015
905 posts
181 upvotes
Antarctica
ninety5teg wrote:
Thats pretty good.

What did you tell them/how many tries did it take?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2116 posts
134 upvotes
Scarborough
Crichtonfan wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 7:36 pm
Thats pretty good.

What did you tell them/how many tries did it take?

Thanks.
Initial try. Got to the regular rep and told him that I wanted to speak with the loyalty department. He asked me as to why and told him that I wanted a price match or similar plan that my "friend" got when he called in earlier in the morning. Gave him the details and he said he wouldn't be able to assist me and would need to transfer me to loyalty department (wait time on hold was 11 minutes); I was driving and had the call on my Bluetooth car deck. Loyalty picked up and told her politely before I cancel can you do something (gave her the same story as I gave the initial rep). She said one minute and came back and asked me what was the plan, she said she couldn't offer that but instead can either give me a $40 plan with 1 gb or $55 with 2gb (the addons remain intact). She said she should not be doing this to a 3-day old account but in order to retain me as a customer she will offer it. Made the changes to both of my accounts. Same plan. Initially I thought it was only 1 Gb but called in today to verify that it is 3 Gb data.

I guess I got lucky on my first try. Also I was being nice and polite which helped a lot.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes
ninety5teg wrote:
Great job. Plan looks good.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2116 posts
134 upvotes
Scarborough
htauthority wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 4:55 pm
Great job. Plan looks good.
Thanks...I have two lines with Koodo with the same plan..I ported my wifes Freedom account over to Koodo (so happy I got this, and damn the call quality is so clear nad much better than freedom)....the other line I'm thinking of putting it on seasonal hold..

Thanks OP
Dec 24, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Did those of you who've called get charged the $10 plan change fee? I'm on hold RN and they mentioned it, but not sure if that counts for special retention plans as opposed to normal ones.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
339 posts
261 upvotes
bpboop wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:47 pm
Did those of you who've called get charged the $10 plan change fee? I'm on hold RN and they mentioned it, but not sure if that counts for special retention plans as opposed to normal ones.
Absolutely not. At least make sure they do not charge you. You are making changes to your account that cannot be done via self serve. Therefore that charge should be waived.
Dec 24, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:03 pm
Absolutely not. At least make sure they do not charge you. You are making changes to your account that cannot be done via self serve. Therefore that charge should be waived.
Thanks! How long was the wait on hold? I'm at 35 minutes already and hoping i even get to talk to someone before the lines close. Ugh.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5089 posts
1706 upvotes
Canada
ninety5teg wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:06 pm
Thanks...I have two lines with Koodo with the same plan..I ported my wifes Freedom account over to Koodo (so happy I got this, and damn the call quality is so clear nad much better than freedom)....the other line I'm thinking of putting it on seasonal hold..

Thanks OP
Were you able to change to the 3gb plan on both lines on the same call or did you call again for the second line?
Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2116 posts
134 upvotes
Scarborough
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 3:36 pm
Were you able to change to the 3gb plan on both lines on the same call or did you call again for the second line?
Both lines were changed with one call.