None
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto

Yonge/Bayview & Sheppard Condos

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving in that area and would like to rent a condo there ...

Can anyone recommend the condo's that are good in terms of really close to the subway, the building is nice and doesn't look like it's breaking down from the inside ...

If anyone can provide any suggestions on which building, that would be great ... and if it's first hand experience, even better!

Thanks,
Jeff
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2642 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
We've lived (rented) in the Ultima building (4968/4978 Yonge) since it was new (2005). We love it, and the only reason we are leaving is that we have a growing family and just bought a house.

It is built by Menkes, which is a mid-tier builder in terms of quality IMO. Better than Conservatory Group, not as good as Tridel. The inside still looks very nice. Quite a glitzy entrance area (concierge, tall ceilings, all tiles, some tasteful artwork, seating area) and nice amenities (swimming pool, sauna, excercise room, billiard room, party room, virtual golf, guest suites).

The suites themselves are ordinary, but modern. We've lived in both a 1 bedroom and a 1+den. The 1 bedroom ones are 550-650 Sq ft (most are 550). The 1+den that we are in now is almost 700 sq ft. Plenty of room for two, but we are running out of space with kids!

A great feature of the building is underground access to both the Sheppard and North York subway stations - invaluable in winter! It also doesn't hurt that there's a Tim Hortons right at the base of the building. We will really miss the proximity to everything.

You pay for your own utilities, which I actually prefer - gives you more control over heating/cooling in your unit.

We've never had any noise issues, and people in the building are generally professional and friendly. I would suggest getting a suite facing the back (Beecroft) though. The suites facing Yonge do pick about a bit of the road noise (bouncing off the RBC building across the street).

Send me a message if you want the phone number of our current landlord. It's a management company that manages a number of suites in both towers.

Btw, I would avoid the cluster of condo buildings around the Avondale area (closer to the 401, east of Yonge). Traffic can be a nightmare, and you are further away from the subway. Just my opinion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Wow thanks for in the indepth help.

I looked at that condo and it looks beautiful.

If anyone has any more, please let me know or post in this thread.
Apr 8, 2001
306 posts
23 upvotes
Jeff,

Menkes and Tridel make some pretty impressive buildings in the Yonge/Sheppard and Bayview/Sheppard area. My gf and I looked at a lot of them and considered them. We found an agent who specializes in that area and those buildings. The thing that made her really stand out was she had a lot of floor plans. We were looking to buy, but ultimately opted for a bungalow a little farther away, but she was great! I'm not sure she helps renters, but she might be able to shed some light for free just on advice. Her website is: www.galleryofcondos.com - she seems to have some information on some of the condos on her site, but not much, most of it is in boxes and filing cabinets in her office. (I distinctly remember the building Avonshire, not because of anything special, but because the floor plans she pulled out was bigger than my dinner table!)
[QUOTE]Most of the things worth doing in this world, have been declared impossible before they were done.[/QUOTE]

Heatware: JetLi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Was wondering if anyone has more opinions?

I'm really leaning towards Ultima building though ... I love how it looks and how it's very close to everything.

Anything bad about the Ultima building that I need to know about?

Thanks,
Jeff
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9734 posts
428 upvotes
I was looking for a condo to rent and bayview was too boring. There are tons of condos SE of yonge/sheppard on harrison gardens etc. but I hate those because its still quite a far walk to the subway and I hear its a real pain to get out of that area in a car during rush hours since there is only one exit onto yonge st.

We looked at Ultima rooms but they were generally smaller than we liked.

We ended up liking a 1+den (an actual functional den, unlike the 1+den we saw at Ultima which was just a corner of the room with no window or door) at 18 spring garden ave. I like the location, building is brand new. Builder doesn't have great reputation (conservatory group) but from what I've seen I was very impressed but I don't have much experience judging this kind of stuff. I move in on Sept 1 so I don't have experience with noise yet. I suspect it might get pretty bad though because they are building another tower (Pearl).

I like the condos north of North York Center at Nortown, but my gf didn't because she didtn' want to live at Yonge/Finch...even though its just a couple blocks away from North York Center....gf's...go figure...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper,

I'm just curious ... how much rent are you paying for that?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9734 posts
428 upvotes
Jeff146 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 1:34 pm
slowtyper,

I'm just curious ... how much rent are you paying for that?

1500 including parking/utilities/locker but not cable. After seeing a few cheaper condos, I felt it was worthwhile because it was a nicer layout (more functional) than some of them and the building was almost brand new (only 1 tenant before that for less than a year).

I Pm'ed you with the MLS link.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the link again!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2642 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
My vote still goes to the Ultima building. We just moved out of our unit (reason I haven't messaged you, Jeff!) because we bought a house, but we miss the location already.

Our unit was a 1+den where the den could function as a separate (albeit small!) bedroom - it wasn't just a corner of a room. We paid $1,475, but we found out that the people renting it after us are apparently paying $1,450.

Ultima has direct underground access to both the Sheppard Centre and North York Centre. You have no idea how much you will come to love this in the winter...! 18 Spring Garden (Platinum Towers by Conservatory Group) does not have this.

Also, Ultima is right on Yonge St with Tim Horton's and Shoppers Drug Mart in the building (still access from outside). This is just another convenience that 18 Spring Garden doesn't have. It's minor, but you will come to appreciate it.

Another thing is that in Ultima you pay for your own utilities (excluding hot water), which means you control your own heat/cooling. 18 Spring Garden has a central heating/cooling system, so you have little control over the heating/cooling in your unit. A friend of mine lives in a brand new Conservatory Group building in Scarborough, and he just can't stop complaining about how it's always too hot or too cold, and he can do nothing about it except open windows.

Electricity/gas only comes to around $50-60 per month. We gladly paid that for the convenience.

We went to see a unit at 18 Spring Garden earlier this year, and the difference between that building and Ultima is striking. Whereas Ultima is bright and inviting with tall ceilings in the entrance area, 18 Spring Garden is dark and depressing with dark colours and low ceilings in the entrance area.

I can see slowtyper's point that you might be able to get a better layout in 18 Spring Garden, but I know that personally, especially with Conservatory Group's reputation, I wouldn't touch that building.

However, I do agree with slowtyper's assessment that Bayview is boring and to avoid the condos SE of Yonge/Sheppard on Harrison Garden - far from subway and traffic is nuts.

Do some searches in MLS. You should be able to find plenty of pictures of all the buildings in the area with units either for sale or for rent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you Little Tim for all your suggestions.

Now I just need to find an Ultima condo and a landlord that would accept credit card as payment ... I prefer to pay with credit card since it's easier to manage and I get AirMiles ...

I have doing some research and it's really hard to find one that would accept credit card as rent though ...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3547 posts
482 upvotes
Ottawa
I've never heard of any landlord that would accept a credit card for payment. For me it's always been cheque, cash, money order, or preauthorized withdrawl. But maybe I'm old fashioned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
MacGyver wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 5:10 pm
I've never heard of any landlord that would accept a credit card for payment. For me it's always been cheque, cash, money order, or preauthorized withdrawl. But maybe I'm old fashioned.
Yeah I know but it would but it would be so much easier for them ... rather then handling cheques and I get my points hehe .. I guess they would have to pay a small fee though ...
Oct 14, 2004
944 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Jeff146 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2009 2:48 pm
Yeah I know but it would but it would be so much easier for them ... rather then handling cheques and I get my points hehe .. I guess they would have to pay a small fee though ...
$1000/mth x 12 mths x 3% = $360. I doubt there will be many landlords willing to take almost $400 out of their earnings for the year.

For me, I get my tenant to email me the money. It works well and only costs her $1.50 each transaction which works out really well for both of us.
× < >