Fashion & Beauty

Yonge/Finch : Men's Dress Shirt Alteration?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2013 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
1113 posts
12 upvotes
York

Yonge/Finch : Men's Dress Shirt Alteration?

Hi RFD,

Can anyone recommend a place for men's dress shirt alterations in the Yonge/Finch area?

Does anyone have experience altering men's dress shirts? Basically the shirt is too large for me. I would need:

- torso slimmed down
- shortened (not entirely necessary as it'd be tucked in)
- sleeves are too long and baggy
- neck and shoulders are fine

Also, any idea what this would cost?

I've got a handful of nice dress shirts that are too baggy on me.
:)
16 replies
Jun 1, 2008
120 posts
North York, Toronto,…
Hey,

I get all my shirts modified in exactly the same way as you describe.

Head down to Yonge & Spring Garden Ave. (a little south of Finch). Go a few restaurants East on Spring Garden.

There's a korean drycleaner there that does alterations, bring your shirts along, its fast and will cost you about 15$ per shirt.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2373 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
if anyone gets the name of this place or phone number please post it

Wanna modify a jacket that's too long for me! And a couple shirts...would have kept them if I knew about this kind of alteration

thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
1113 posts
12 upvotes
York
super! thanks for the replies .. i'll keep you guys posted in a week or so
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
1113 posts
12 upvotes
York
come to think of it, $15 for altering the toros, sleeves seems pretty cheap. i've had it done at a few places downtown for around $35. i realize downtown is more expensive but still.. $15 seems cheap.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
My friend who's stinkin rich and owns lots of fancy suits (Zegna, Boss, etc) recommended me this tailor at Yonge and Sheppard. His prices are good too (eg. pants hemmed $5.99), almost as low as the chinese ones I used to go to in Scarborough. I'm getting him to do my new Boss suit pants hemming and widening the waist, and a pair of jeans hemming european style. If any problems I'll let you guys know.

Here's his contact

Woodbine Alterations
located in Sheppard Centre (free 1 hr parking off Doris Ave)
just outside the subway entrance, near CIBC machines
4841 Yonge St #L25B
North York ON, M2N 5X2
Phone #: 416-733-9384

you have to prepay though
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
^that's awesome. I'll them the a shot.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
keeter wrote: Hey,
I get all my shirts modified in exactly the same way as you describe.
Would anyone be able to show a pic of what the shirt looks like AFTER the alteration is done? I'm thinking of having the same thing done to a dress shirt that is nice material but isn't the "slim fit" look that is in nowadays.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
royaljelly wrote: My friend who's stinkin rich and owns lots of fancy suits (Zegna, Boss, etc) recommended me this tailor at Yonge and Sheppard. His prices are good too (eg. pants hemmed $5.99), almost as low as the chinese ones I used to go to in Scarborough. I'm getting him to do my new Boss suit pants hemming and widening the waist, and a pair of jeans hemming european style. If any problems I'll let you guys know.

Here's his contact

Woodbine Alterations
4841 Yonge St #L25B
North York ON, M2N 5X2

hey thanks for the info, i need to get some suit pants slimmed down so i'll head there this friday and ill let you guys know how it goes
Dec 12, 2008
17 posts
Markham
Hi,

Do any of you guys have any experience with alteration shops in the GTA area? I'm looking to size down my largely bought dress shirts from a few years back.

Also, would you trust $15-20 alterations on more expensive shirts like in the range of $200?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
I picked up my pants yest from woodbine alteration.

My Boss suit dress pants were done nicely (hemmed and waist widened extra inch). Only problem was when I was trying on the length, the guy insisted that I take off my shoes and he measure it for me, which was way too long for the current styles (afterwards I read on GQ that skinny suit pants should drop down to just touching the shoes). Next time I'm gonna pre-measure at home and just give it to him to do that way. $5.99 for the hem, $10 for the waist widening.

The European hem (where they save the original pant bottom to keep the worn look) on the jeans was ok, but a bit sloppy. Not sure if the material was just too thick, as some of the stitching wasn't perfectly straight. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you held it up to your face, but still it's a test of the quality of a tailor. $10 for the Euro hem.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
Got my suit pants back from woodbine alterations and he did a pretty good job + he redid the hem on the pant leg for me since the last person didn't do that good of a job, overall I think it was worth it, at 13 dollars and change to get your pants slimmed down you can't go wrong
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
royaljelly wrote: Only problem was when I was trying on the length, the guy insisted that I take off my shoes and he measure it for me, which was way too long for the current styles (afterwards I read on GQ that skinny suit pants should drop down to just touching the shoes). Next time I'm gonna pre-measure at home and just give it to him to do that way. $5.99 for the hem, $10 for the waist widening.
The fashionable thing at the moment is to have no break with your suits pants, that's why GQ recommends that, but I think you can get away with a half break sometimes even full break.

Also with a lot of tailors, they've been doing what they do for so long that even though you might request for one thing they insist on doing it their way just because they feel that that's the right way

Btw, if I may ask, how or what exactly did he do to widen your pants? I have a pair of suit pants that are a bit snug on me that I also want to widen about an inch
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
Hmm sounds pretty good ... I'll give them a try and it's really close to me too.
royaljelly wrote: My friend who's stinkin rich and owns lots of fancy suits (Zegna, Boss, etc) recommended me this tailor at Yonge and Sheppard. His prices are good too (eg. pants hemmed $5.99), almost as low as the chinese ones I used to go to in Scarborough. I'm getting him to do my new Boss suit pants hemming and widening the waist, and a pair of jeans hemming european style. If any problems I'll let you guys know.

Here's his contact

Woodbine Alterations
4841 Yonge St #L25B
North York ON, M2N 5X2

Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
superock wrote: Btw, if I may ask, how or what exactly did he do to widen your pants? I have a pair of suit pants that are a bit snug on me that I also want to widen about an inch
My Boss suit dress pants has extra material on the back in the waist/upper buttock area (he showed it to me when I asked him how he did it). If your dress pants don't have that, then I'm not sure if it can be easily widened.

The pant leg length thing is kinda tricky... too short and it looks like you're a dork wearing floods, too long and it's not trendy enough, plus it'll depend on which shoes you tend to wear too.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
So does anyone want to be a guinea pig for a dress shirt? :lol: I got some that needs to be tailored.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Bumping old thread.....this person still around?
Any more reviews?

Thanks!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!