Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2519 upvotes

York U might have its water shut off?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... -bill.html

I'm glad I don't have kids, but if I did, York is the LAST place I'd send them to school. This gives me yet another reason.

I guess if they shut the water off, that would make those incessant picket lines redundant since nobody would want to go in...
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
40 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11337 posts
6141 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
953 upvotes
YK
Thanks OP. York's problems, including strke (and other college/university strikes) make online degrees look good. Many accredited online Canadian college and university programs available. Little history of strikes. And you can work while studying :)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1091 upvotes
Parry Sound
York U is a complete joke.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2519 upvotes
The rare time I actually agree with a Cohn column:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-co ... -warp.html

Only a fool would willingly choose York (or send his/her kids there)...
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5650 posts
744 upvotes
Scarborough
Man how long is this going to drag on? Feel sorry for the students specially in end of semesters
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2519 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:53 pm
Man how long is this going to drag on? Feel sorry for the students specially in end of semesters
Kind of hard to feel sorry for the students. Caveat emptor in action -- you buy crap you get crap. Should have gone to another school.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1864 posts
700 upvotes
^^ Ryerson is actually a good school. A lot of recent graduates appear to be having great success in their field. I would say being connected to the downtown hub with different nationalities, gives Ryerson a unique edge. In the end, it doesn't matter where you go. At the end of the day everyone will have that piece of paper, it's up to you to open those doors. Yeah, I could spend thousands of dollars and say I went to UofT, but if my personality sucks, and I don't have good business sense, none of that matters.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2519 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 3:17 pm
Still better than Ryerson
Does Ryerson go on strike every year? York does...
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
Outside of Schulich, which has its own union, why would you ever contemplate going to York? Sure its in Toronto, which is nice for a lot of people. However, is that convenience really worth it?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2519 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 1:19 am
Outside of Schulich, which has its own union, why would you ever contemplate going to York? Sure its in Toronto, which is nice for a lot of people. However, is that convenience really worth it?
UofT and Ryerson are right downtown which is a hell of a lot more convenient than York... and they don't close down due to strikes every year either.

When I was in high school, if you wanted to question somebody's intelligence you said "He was accepted to York..." Apparently that statement still applies today.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2117 posts
1046 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 4:06 pm
UofT and Ryerson are right downtown which is a hell of a lot more convenient than York... and they don't close down due to strikes every year either.

When I was in high school, if you wanted to question somebody's intelligence you said "He was accepted to York..." Apparently that statement still applies today.
The hate is strong with this one.

Maybe it is more convenient for you, but not me.

I am currently at York and ya the strike sucks, but I appreciate what the Union is going through. It is the university itself which has dragged along the strike and is waiting for government intervention as it usually results in the employer's favour.

This strike represents the fight against precarity in the workplace which is an ever-increasing battle as companies continue to see labour as disposable and will cut employees to continue their supposed growth.

It is really hard to focus on my future with this strike on-going but its needed to secure our future as employees.
:D
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
moulamou wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 4:34 pm
The hate is strong with this one.

Maybe it is more convenient for you, but not me.

I am currently at York and ya the strike sucks, but I appreciate what the Union is going through. It is the university itself which has dragged along the strike and is waiting for government intervention as it usually results in the employer's favour.

This strike represents the fight against precarity in the workplace which is an ever-increasing battle as companies continue to see labour as disposable and will cut employees to continue their supposed growth.

It is really hard to focus on my future with this strike on-going but its needed to secure our future as employees.
I take it you hope/plan on working in the public sector.