Students

The York University Thread

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
soaringshrimp wrote: Hey I'm thinking of going to York next year. I'm from Vancouver. I just read this on another website:

Is it true? Is York really in the middle of nowhere? I had originally considered getting a car but read that Toronto had good public transportation. Is a car necessary? I have heard the campus is in a sketchy area and I'd feel safer getting around in a car. I was considering the York apartments since I am a mature student, but I am not sure about spending upwards to $800.00/mth on rent and bills when I will be so busy with schoolwork, etc., I don't want to have to worry too much about other things. Anyone know if it's possible to get a dorm room in January?
I live in the apartments on Sentinel Rd. and don't find anything sketchy about it at all. There's students walking everywhere. The only people that are scared are those who are afraid of minorities.
Sep 23, 2009
77 posts
2 upvotes
mgronqui wrote: I live in the apartments on Sentinel Rd. and don't find anything sketchy about it at all. There's students walking everywhere. The only people that are scared are those who are afraid of minorities.
OK, thanks, is there much of a lively student environment there? I read this and I'm a bit worried:

"Ninety per cent or more of the students in each college are commuter students, and the colleges provide a home for them -- as well as the college residence students -- during their university years. One or more of the student clubs and activities in each college are bound to appeal to students, and events are scheduled with commuter students in mind."

York even admits it on their website!

And about the apartment you're living in, is it owned by York U? How much do you pay in rent/month, may I ask? I am looking to start in January and would like to get a dorm room but I don't know if it's too late now. =S Plus, I don't know if it's such a great idea to be 24 and living in dorms with 18-20 year olds.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
__Kingpin__ wrote: does anybody know of any easy 3/6 cred courses?

i was thinking of taking eats1410 (natural/man made disasters) the prof/class is boring as hell but i dont know if i should take it. iv heard its an easy course.

anybody taken it?
You're right that it's boring. If the structure of the course is the same as last year, you'll get a new prof for the winter semester (in my case, the new one was just as bad). Do you have Jenkins right now?

As for the material, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that you won't have to go to class (other than for tests and to hand in assignments) and you won't need the textbook. Also, the assignments are really easy and everybody talks about (read:gives away) the answers on WebCT.

As for the bad news, you've probably already seen the amount of slides covered. Again, if nothing's changed since last year, you'll have close to 500 slides to learn from for each term (so 500 for the Fall mid-term, 500 for the Fall final, hundreds for the Winter mid-term, hundreds for the Winter final). Roughly speaking, that is. It may be a bit more or less. So skimming through all that material and trying to find what's really important can be difficult, but it's do-able. I pulled off an A and so did many others.

My advice is to do really well on the assignments and try your best on the exams. The marks for the first test last year were so bad she ended up not counting that test at all. And all the tests were MC and short answer.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Yes there is a lively student environment here. Everyone here is super nice and gets along with everyone. Where did you hear about this being a "sketchy" area anyway? From the media? I find it absolutely absurd that people are afraid of this area mostly stemming from the fact that it is very multi-cultural.

I don't live in an apartment owned by York nor do I live with anyone. I'm paying on my own. It's never too late to get a dorm and get this age mentality out of your mindset because everyone gets along with everyone. You'd be surprised how many older people there are, well in their 50s too.
soaringshrimp wrote: OK, thanks, is there much of a lively student environment there? I read this and I'm a bit worried:

"Ninety per cent or more of the students in each college are commuter students, and the colleges provide a home for them -- as well as the college residence students -- during their university years. One or more of the student clubs and activities in each college are bound to appeal to students, and events are scheduled with commuter students in mind."

York even admits it on their website!

And about the apartment you're living in, is it owned by York U? How much do you pay in rent/month, may I ask? I am looking to start in January and would like to get a dorm room but I don't know if it's too late now. =S Plus, I don't know if it's such a great idea to be 24 and living in dorms with 18-20 year olds.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1028 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
for those people who have opt-out of the health and dental pla how long did it take?
Aug 25, 2009
3 posts
asereht wrote: I actually have 5 labs this semester :$
im surviving.
Oh.... What major are you? I am a Pharmaceutical Chem Major.... 3rd year.. I think five is to much , I was actually criticized from the Coordinator of the department for taking so many labs.. Wow so you must have labs every day of the week than...or are some of them every other week..? Cause that makes a huge difference. :) Just curious.
Dec 27, 2008
65 posts
2 upvotes
Home
trky wrote: for those people who have opt-out of the health and dental pla how long did it take?
Well, I opted out in late August and actually had it reveresed today. $199.44 is a nice chunk of chage when you forget about being entitled to it. :lol:
Jul 18, 2007
374 posts
29 upvotes
i opted out on august 29th and today i got my money back. xD
Aug 14, 2008
509 posts
2 upvotes
umop wrote: You're right that it's boring. If the structure of the course is the same as last year, you'll get a new prof for the winter semester (in my case, the new one was just as bad). Do you have Jenkins right now?

As for the material, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that you won't have to go to class (other than for tests and to hand in assignments) and you won't need the textbook. Also, the assignments are really easy and everybody talks about (read:gives away) the answers on WebCT.

As for the bad news, you've probably already seen the amount of slides covered. Again, if nothing's changed since last year, you'll have close to 500 slides to learn from for each term (so 500 for the Fall mid-term, 500 for the Fall final, hundreds for the Winter mid-term, hundreds for the Winter final). Roughly speaking, that is. It may be a bit more or less. So skimming through all that material and trying to find what's really important can be difficult, but it's do-able. I pulled off an A and so did many others.

My advice is to do really well on the assignments and try your best on the exams. The marks for the first test last year were so bad she ended up not counting that test at all. And all the tests were MC and short answer.
yeah man i have jenkins. its almost impossible to memorize 500 slides and im pretty lazy in that stuff. i usually bs most of it and still get the marks

dont know about this course tho
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1028 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
DrHoops wrote: Well, I opted out in late August and actually had it reveresed today. $199.44 is a nice chunk of chage when you forget about being entitled to it. :lol:
keroro27 wrote: i opted out on august 29th and today i got my money back. xD
damn thats long!!! thxs for the info though guys. I didnt pay for it and i dont plan to just hope they take it out of my balance soon and yeah $199.44 is a lot!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
keroro27 wrote: i opted out on august 29th and today i got my money back. xD
Thanks for the update, nearly forgot I opted out! I Just checked my account and the money has been given back.
Feb 16, 2005
930 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone been to the Underground and Pub Night yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1028 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
anyone know how to check who is the course instructor for a course/section on the website? or is it just not given.. im trying to spread out my schedule, but i dont want to xfer to another section to have a horrible prof. Please don't tell me the only way is to actually go to the class....
Sep 23, 2009
77 posts
2 upvotes
mgronqui wrote: Yes there is a lively student environment here. Everyone here is super nice and gets along with everyone. Where did you hear about this being a "sketchy" area anyway? From the media? I find it absolutely absurd that people are afraid of this area mostly stemming from the fact that it is very multi-cultural.

I don't live in an apartment owned by York nor do I live with anyone. I'm paying on my own. It's never too late to get a dorm and get this age mentality out of your mindset because everyone gets along with everyone. You'd be surprised how many older people there are, well in their 50s too.
OK, that makes me feel better. I've just been reading a lot of York U vs ______ things and it's just got me worried. Will I be needing a car if I go to York? Apparently the York campus is in the middle of nowhere and an hour from downtown Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1028 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
soaringshrimp wrote: OK, that makes me feel better. I've just been reading a lot of York U vs ______ things and it's just got me worried. Will I be needing a car if I go to York? Apparently the York campus is in the middle of nowhere and an hour from downtown Toronto.
if ur talking about keele campus i find it no where near to be in the "middle of no where" depending how u feel about taking the bus.. having a car is of course convenient, i dont know if this would help but u can see for urself by going to google and look at the satellite images to see whats actually around you
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
__Kingpin__ wrote: yeah man i have jenkins. its almost impossible to memorize 500 slides and im pretty lazy in that stuff. i usually bs most of it and still get the marks

dont know about this course tho
What I used to do was go over each set of slides, decide what sounded important, and put it into point-form notes. So for every 500 slides or so, I'd have about 2 - 4 pages on Word. Much easier to handle and memorize.

But yeah, there's got to be a better way to teach that class.
Oct 8, 2008
722 posts
70 upvotes
trky wrote: anyone know how to check who is the course instructor for a course/section on the website? or is it just not given.. im trying to spread out my schedule, but i dont want to xfer to another section to have a horrible prof. Please don't tell me the only way is to actually go to the class....
The course timetables list the instructor.
Aug 15, 2009
15 posts
Im a second year Environmental Science major. i have 2 on monday and friday and one on wednesday. and of course, they run EVERY week. :(
LOL
vako wrote: Oh.... What major are you? I am a Pharmaceutical Chem Major.... 3rd year.. I think five is to much , I was actually criticized from the Coordinator of the department for taking so many labs.. Wow so you must have labs every day of the week than...or are some of them every other week..? Cause that makes a huge difference. :) Just curious.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1028 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
D582 wrote: The course timetables list the instructor.
no, they dont, it just says "not available" and when i actually go to the course/section website to see if its on the course outline i see nothing
Oct 8, 2008
722 posts
70 upvotes
trky wrote: no, they dont, it just says "not available" and when i actually go to the course/section website to see if its on the course outline i see nothing
Then the department has not provided information for the course to the registrar's office. Contact the department then.