The York University Thread

Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7070 posts
360 upvotes
York
omchow wrote:
Sep 11th, 2015 7:39 pm
Just checked online and summer 2015 academic decisions and updated CGPA are up in my.yorku. For those who applied to graduate for October convocation, the graduation status is also updated. Cheers!
Where did you check? Degree progress report? Mine still hasn't been updated
May 14, 2015
54 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
if anybody took "Russian culture" with Rimma Volynska can you PM me.
Sep 13, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
Hey can anyone give me a review on some of these courses? I am in my last year for the BAS Finance, and the amount of anxiety and stress come exam time is killing me. Hopefully someone out there will read this and will have some advice.

Winter:
ADMS 4542 (International Financial Management): It is really hard to find any info on this course. So far it seems difficult, and my prof spends a lot of time talking about himself rather than teaching the materials. Can anyone give me some advice with this specific course in terms of the exams?
ADMS 3531 (Personal Investment Management)
ADMS 4507 (Insurance & Other Topics)
ADMS 3210 (Consumer Behaviour)

Fall:
ADMS 4501 (Advanced Portfolio Management)
ADMS 4502 (Ethics for Investment Managers)
ADMS 3440 (Leadership & Management Skills)
..I need a SOSC or MODR, was thinking of MODR 1760, I also need 1 more random bird ADMS course.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7070 posts
360 upvotes
York
Thorrrr wrote:
Oct 4th, 2015 4:29 pm
Hey can anyone give me a review on some of these courses? I am in my last year for the BAS Finance, and the amount of anxiety and stress come exam time is killing me. Hopefully someone out there will read this and will have some advice.

Winter:
ADMS 4542 (International Financial Management): It is really hard to find any info on this course. So far it seems difficult, and my prof spends a lot of time talking about himself rather than teaching the materials. Can anyone give me some advice with this specific course in terms of the exams?
ADMS 3531 (Personal Investment Management)
ADMS 4507 (Insurance & Other Topics)
ADMS 3210 (Consumer Behaviour)

Fall:
ADMS 4501 (Advanced Portfolio Management)
ADMS 4502 (Ethics for Investment Managers)
ADMS 3440 (Leadership & Management Skills)
..I need a SOSC or MODR, was thinking of MODR 1760, I also need 1 more random bird ADMS course.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
4542 is tough from what I've heard but you'll learn a lot
3531 is an easy A
3210 seems easy (I have it right now)
4501 is an easier A than 3531 (Once you do 3531, 4501 will be even easier)
I took MODR 1760 and got a B+ without trying
Sep 13, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
Thats awesome! Thank you for the help man, much appreciated. I wonder if we have 3210 together?!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7070 posts
360 upvotes
York
Thorrrr wrote:
Oct 4th, 2015 10:44 pm
Thats awesome! Thank you for the help man, much appreciated. I wonder if we have 3210 together?!
Haha. I have it Wednesday's from 4pm-7pm.
Sep 13, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
Thursdays 7-10PM with Jodie Whelan! Midterm is this Thursday!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7070 posts
360 upvotes
York
Thorrrr wrote:
Oct 5th, 2015 12:22 am
Thursdays 7-10PM with Jodie Whelan! Midterm is this Thursday!
Do you think you can let me know how it goes? I have it next Wednesday
Sep 13, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
dankup wrote:
Oct 5th, 2015 11:28 am
Do you think you can let me know how it goes? I have it next Wednesday
Yeah dude, let me PM you.
Nov 28, 2013
8 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi,

Has anyone taken AP/HUMA 1400.9 Culture and Society in East Asia before?
If anyone has taken it before, can you tell me:

There are too much requirements for reading...Will they on exams or assignments?
What will be on the exams and assignments?

Thank you
Jan 16, 2015
7 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON
Does the Economics program at York University involve a high difficulty of mathematics? As a international student, I took some basic economics courses (micro and macroeconomics) at Seneca college and really enjoyed them. In addition, I was really successful within them.

However, I struggled immensely in Grade 12 Advanced Functions and just passed. Trigonometry identities were really difficult for me. I NEVER took calculus in Grade 12 although it is a recommended course. Can anyone who graduated within the program or is enrolled tell me the difficultly of mathematics. I would hate to be stuck in a difficult situation due to not understanding the concepts.

If possible, can anyone post some pictures of what I can expect?
Sep 29, 2007
38 posts
15 upvotes
Hey! York people really need to get on the Dropbox Campus Cup thing. Currently anyone with a york email address can join and you get a bonus of up to 25GB on your dropbox account for 2 years.
Even if you don't use your york email address as your dropbox account email address you don't need to set up a separate account, it'll just link it. Currently there's only a 3GB bonus but if more people sign up we can get up to 25GB! I want more free gigs!

You can sign up here
(note this is a referral link but I get absolutely nothing extra for the referral I just see how many people join because of me, if you want to use a non-referral link use this one!
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11278 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Can people really live with losing that much storage in 2 years? What then?
redsynapse wrote:
Oct 15th, 2015 5:07 pm
Hey! York people really need to get on the Dropbox Campus Cup thing. Currently anyone with a york email address can join and you get a bonus of up to 25GB on your dropbox account for 2 years.
Even if you don't use your york email address as your dropbox account email address you don't need to set up a separate account, it'll just link it. Currently there's only a 3GB bonus but if more people sign up we can get up to 25GB! I want more free gigs!

You can sign up here
(note this is a referral link but I get absolutely nothing extra for the referral I just see how many people join because of me, if you want to use a non-referral link use this one!
Sep 29, 2007
38 posts
15 upvotes
Dropbox has these kinds of promotions every few years, last time it was called the "space race" so hopefully in 2 years they'll have another one again. I think they want to keep getting successive waves of university students hooked.
May 18, 2015
11 posts
Maple, ON
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the requirements are for undeclared major?