Students

The York University Thread

May 11, 2015
230 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
2nd year economics is almost half Calculus. The higher level economics you take, the more math intensive it is. However trig is not relevant, just Calculus you arn't required to perform proofs, just understand how to use the concepts.
Dec 24, 2015
1 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Can anyone tell me more about this prof? I have him entitled to teach me in ADMS1010. From what I learned so far is that his lectures are clear yet he gives very low marks to his students. One post on Ratemy... said his class average was a D+. This scares me as I wonder if I should drop or switch from his course....
Apr 22, 2013
463 posts
63 upvotes
Herblore1 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2015 11:06 pm
Can anyone tell me more about this prof? I have him entitled to teach me in ADMS1010. From what I learned so far is that his lectures are clear yet he gives very low marks to his students. One post on Ratemy... said his class average was a D+. This scares me as I wonder if I should drop or switch from his course....
He's a good professor. Class averages are relatively low for ADMS 1010. Just do your best and you'll be fine - he is fair.
Dec 10, 2015
10 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In a regular winter semester I attend my class once for a lecture of 180 minutes. How many times a week and how long will I have to attend class during the compressed summer semester?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2247 posts
1469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Justabanana wrote:
Jan 4th, 2016 10:48 pm
In a regular winter semester I attend my class once for a lecture of 180 minutes. How many times a week and how long will I have to attend class during the compressed summer semester?
I've heard that it's twice a week for a total of 360 minutes. I'm a first year student though, so can't confirm.
May 11, 2015
230 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2016 12:15 am
I've heard that it's twice a week for a total of 360 minutes. I'm a first year student though, so can't confirm.
This is correct - two 180 min lectures weekly for 6 weeks. Taking one 3-credit course in a summer semester is the equivalent course load of two 3 credit courses during a typical semester
Oct 13, 2014
5 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Did anybody apply to graduate in February 2016? I didn't get any confirmation yet, last email from the Registrar Office was Nov. 19 and I haven't heard back from them since.

"Date of Degree Assessment: November 19, 2015

Thank you for your application to graduate. This confirms that the Office of the University Registrar received your application and that your academic record was reviewed on the above date to ensure you have met all the academic requirements of the program. Our assessment indicates you are potentially eligible to graduate for the February 2016 Convocation, pending successful completion of your Fall courses.

A second and final audit of your academic record will occur mid-January 2016; at that time you will be notified of your eligibility to graduate.

Best of luck with your final exams.

Sincerely,

Office of the University Registrar
Degree Audit"
Jan 26, 2016
27 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan
Can anyone in computer science at york tell me pros and cons please?

I applied both york and ryerson for computer science and having debate between the two..
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
171 upvotes
So I failed a required course twice. It is the last class I need to graduate. I have booked an advising appointment but want to know what to expect. What are my options now? Do I even have options? Am I barred from ever graduating?
Sep 29, 2014
198 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
umop wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 9:36 am
So I failed a required course twice. It is the last class I need to graduate. I have booked an advising appointment but want to know what to expect. What are my options now? Do I even have options? Am I barred from ever graduating?
Am I barred from ever graduating?

I had assumed that the common policy for failing a required course, was to retake it.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
171 upvotes
Eragon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 2:04 pm
Am I barred from ever graduating?

I had assumed that the common policy for failing a required course, was to retake it.
I failed it twice though and you can't take it anymore times.
Aug 10, 2013
26 posts
4 upvotes
umop wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 2:21 pm
I failed it twice though and you can't take it anymore times.
You might be able to petition to take it a third time..
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
171 upvotes
vitamins wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 11:03 pm
You might be able to petition to take it a third time..
How strict/demanding is the petition process?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6905 posts
306 upvotes
York
Just go make an academic advising appointment, what do we know?